Darkfall Unholy Wars

Nizzarr_sl

shitlord
My thoughts on the beta from two days of playing:

The game wasnt playable until the 22-23rd of december. Servers are offline until the 26-27 now. When it was playable, the game was fun and entertaining. PVP is very skill based and lower numbers can annihilate greater numbers with ease if they play well.

The games doesnt feel as grindy as the first one, theres way less skills and the gains are much faster. I got my heal self and transfers up in the 70s from the two days I played. I had skills in my skirmishers school already in the 50s as well from very little PVE'ing. The new feats system is a nice touch to ease the grind as well. They did add a big safe zones around cities which might help with bad players retention as they can kill monsters/harvest without fear of being ganked. The crafting system overhaul was much needed and it is way better than the first one. Harvesting and crafting gives a lot of "prowess points" and that makes players do a lot of it. I can foresee a real good economy onces the game releases.

The models are all the same size, which was a balance issue in the other game. The graphics really looks great but they do need a better machine to run well.

There is some issues with healing/transfers spells healing too much which makes some fights into endless chases. You really need to bursts people down and/or throw them off cliffs with knockback spells to kill them.

Overall, I am impressed with this re-release of darkfall and really hope more people pick it up. I am glad they are beta testing this until the start of february, I firmly believe it will come out flawlessly then.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
February wtf? Wasn't this launch suppose to be weeks ago? How could they possibly be that far off lol.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
February wtf? Wasn't this launch suppose to be weeks ago? How could they possibly be that far off lol.
They are.. It needs time. I would be ok if it got pushed back to April if it meant all the classes being in at launch.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
The only graphics that look decent in this are the environmental visuals. The models look like complete shit and as someone mentioned before they were definitely phoned in. I haven't been terribly impressed with the beta thus far as combat feels very slow/sluggish compared to what I have seen from the original. Perhaps it's just the technical issues that are turning me off to it but I hope for the sake of those that are holding out for this being the last bastion of PvP hope that AV does right by you and the game.

I did enjoy killing folks once they strayed far enough from the protected areas but it just felt shallow and flat to me even with the mounted combat. I know that's not being very fair to the rest of the game but it definitely felt as though something was missing.

Swagdaddy

There is a war going on over control of your mind
My point was that the string along of a December launch to retain interest was at least misleading and at worst a down right lie.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
This is depressing. I had a feeling the beta was gonna be kind of bad so I didnt pre-order. Im gonna wait for official launch, and even then Im going to tread lightly.

Pyksel

Rasterizing . . .
It's fuckin darkfall. You guys had high hopes really?
High hopes? Not in the slightest since I never played the original Darkfall I had no idea what to expect but there are plenty of folks going around hyping the shit out it and with me being ignorant to the game and company I just didn't see the allure. I'd rather play Planetside 2.

Marple_sl

shitlord
Eventually Darkfall was playable and some of the biggest UO PvP Guilds played it with great joy, such as SUN etc. So, i'll just do the same as I did back then. Sit and wait.

Flight

Molten Core Raider
No surprises so far. Small developer with no experience of running debugging software in a live environment announces first beta client will include debugging stuff running. Haven't logged in since I downloaded the client because there's only one way that's going - massive log files and client performance going to ratshit.

On the bright side they respond and adapt quickly. They are removing the debugging software. Give them a week without that stuff running and we'll get a much clearer picture of where the game is at.

Jozu

I guess.

Im just worried once they do launch all of the things normal games are usually working out (ie balance, loot system, minor bugs and...balance) are going to start to be a problem in the first few weeks or so. Maybe they can pull of a balanced environment with so many different iterations of 4 classes on launch but I doubt it. The loot system has to be somewhat good to keep people in the PvE game, as crafting dominated the last game. We shall see but Im not grabbing till official launch. I want to play too but the reviews have been too bad.

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
i`ll join ya. Even though its a bug riddled hack/dupe fest. I almost think AV is just hacking into peoples comps and stealing money since this game seems pretty much like the original with a days work added to make it look new.

Jozu

Soooo, is this still unplayable and bad? Or just bad?
I want to play but fuck, I dont want to log in then have to uninstall out of disgust.

Boloboy

Bronze Knight of the Realm
between the dupes, persistance bug and wipes I would hold out. I played a few times last week out of boredom and could run for an hour in any direction and I ran into 2 people. Found a bunch of chaos chest but thats about it and a few different mobs.

Yukiri_sl

shitlord
Soooo, is this still unplayable and bad? Or just bad?
I want to play but fuck, I dont want to log in then have to uninstall out of disgust.
They're supposedly on the verge of finally fixing the persistence bug and people will finally be able to keep the shit they loot/earn without storing it in a guild bank, but they were on the verge of launching the game a time or two so take that for what it's worth. Chances are pretty damn good a server wipe will come along with that bug fix. Im waiting till that patch goes in before I even bother with the beta again.

Huge patch coming this weekend maybe?

The ETA for the patch is this weekend, we're doing our best to have it in sometime tomorrow (Saturday), but it's huge patch as far as the number of fixes goes and there's a lot of testing involved so we can't be more specific, and I also can't put out patch notes yet.