Dash Cam question

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Apostolos

Golden Knight of the Realm
I have started looking at getting a dash cam for the car and was curious if anyone had any suggestions. My biggest concerns are making sure I get one that has good picture quality (ability to read license plates easily and good enough picture for identification of individuals). Also, audio is something I would like as well. I have waited a while hoping that they would get smaller so that it does not stand out too much either (and maybe even be easily removable so it does not need to be left in the car while at work).

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I have started looking at getting a dash cam for the car and was curious if anyone had any suggestions. My biggest concerns are making sure I get one that has good picture quality (ability to read license plates easily and good enough picture for identification of individuals). Also, audio is something I would like as well. I have waited a while hoping that they would get smaller so that it does not stand out too much either (and maybe even be easily removable so it does not need to be left in the car while at work).
having installed and used it (wife) for a month? or so here were the concerns

she did NOT want to have it be a dual camera dash cam, in this instance dual camera means either front and inside(cabin) or front and rear facing(for the rear window).

they all do audio

if you wanted a front AND rear facing camera, note that many do NOT list the quality of the rear cam, and it is usually 480p, very low quality, and some weird recording happens.

My solution just get two real cams

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I am utterly shocked that Lanx would have some expert opinion on this topic!

And that's not necessarily a bash on you. But you literally know something about everything.

To add to the topic, I'd research what the best selling camera in Russia is, and buy that. Every single motherfucker there seems to have one, and they obviously keep working through some of the shittiest conditions and situations.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
I am utterly shocked that Lanx would have some expert opinion on this topic!

And that's not necessarily a bash on you. But you literally know something about everything.

To add to the topic, I'd research what the best selling camera in Russia is, and buy that. Every single motherfucker there seems to have one, and they obviously keep working through some of the shittiest conditions and situations.
i have been lazy about getting that 2nd rear cam and getting the wire kit so that i can plug it into the system instead of the cig lighter.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
having installed and used it (wife) for a month? or so here were the concerns

she did NOT want to have it be a dual camera dash cam, in this instance dual camera means either front and inside(cabin) or front and rear facing(for the rear window).

they all do audio

if you wanted a front AND rear facing camera, note that many do NOT list the quality of the rear cam, and it is usually 480p, very low quality, and some weird recording happens.

My solution just get two real cams

Why would you need anything better than 480p for the interior? 480p at short distance is more than sufficient to record and identify the dindu stealing your car.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Why would you need anything better than 480p for the interior? 480p at short distance is more than sufficient to record and identify the dindu stealing your car.
when i said rear i meant rear window, as previously stated, otherwise i would have said inside cabin video

again like we said before, they don't make this extremely clear what type of "rear" they mean rear "window" or just rear camera(cabin).

For a rear window cam, you want at least 720p, 480 looks grainy, even though many states do NOT have front license plates, i'm sure if you bring a video to court saying a silver civic rear ended you and the defendant drives a silver civic that is in the shop cuz it got into an accident, they'll put 2 + 2.

joz123

Potato del Grande
Im in the market for one after a guy hit me in a parking lot and my insurance blamed us 50/50. I just need one that can endure Vegas heat in summer, so I need one with a capacitor but can't spend a ton of money.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Im in the market for one after a guy hit me in a parking lot and my insurance blamed us 50/50. I just need one that can endure Vegas heat in summer, so I need one with a capacitor but can't spend a ton of money.
it's like 65 bucks for the capacitor high heat ones with 1080p Black Box B40-C Capacitor GPS Stealth Dash Cam - Covert Versatile Mini A118 Full HD 1080P Car DVR - 170° Super Wide Angle 6G Lens - 160°F Heat Resistant - G-Sensor WDR Night Vision Motion Detection

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
It usually goes on sale for about 129 CAD on amazon.ca so this should dip below 100 USD when it's on sale.
Aukey dual dash cam

This has been great for me. High quality Sony sensor up front. Rear one is not as good, but it's good enough. Some guy rear ended my brother, bolted when he got the chance, but we got his license plate from our footage even with glare at night. It has not failed me once yet and we've had to make a few claims since getting the cameras. That one hit and run claim saved us more than 3 sets + sd cards.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
There is a website that has some really in depth reviews on dash cams (If I can find it, I'll link it). I highly recommend you do your research and watch all the sample videos.

I bought one a few years ago and I'm glad I have it, some of the super close calls I get into it is absolutely worth having one if you get into a crazy accident and you're not at fault. They are also great for thefts when they have the motion sensors to turn on. The two biggest issues are how easy they are to setup/change settings and how big of a memory card they can hold/how long they can record.

I had someone fucking with my car and ended up buying one based off Amazon reviews and wish I would have done more research, the camera I bought had great quality and features but it would only record 8 hours at a time due to memory card restrictions. Meaning I had to go outside and pull the memory card out, sift through the data, format it and put it back in. If I didn't get out there for any reason I could have missed the vandal or whatever. It was also very confusing with it's menu item names, I'd have to re-read the manual every time I wanted to change something.

Here's the website in question. 2019 Favorites

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
I got this for driving Uber/Lyft. Interior cam can be turned off, records audio for both. Make sure you get the gps mount if you want speed and gps tracking.

Vantrue N2 Pro Uber Dual Dash Cam Infrared Night Vision Dual 1920x1080P Front and Cabin Dash Camera (2.5K 2560x1440P Single Front) 1.5" 310° Car Camera w/Sony Sensor, Parking Mode, Support 256GB max

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
After a few months, I find the pruvee annoying to connect to the app if I want to change a setting, I've gotten a crosstour that has 1080p front and rear camera , with all on screen controls, way more enjoyful, soon I'll hook that up to the fuse instead of the cig lighter