Dating minors

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So before anyone gets all hot and bothered; no this thread is not about my own (nonexisting) experiences dating 15 year old chicks on tinder. I was talking to a guy from the US on steam and we somehow ended up discussing the legalities and issues when young people date minors. My example was the (what I find) typical 16 year old girl dating a 19 year old guy, personally I can't even begin to see how this would be a problem. My buddy though said this would invite all kinds of trouble in the US and it rarely happens because of it. He said even a pairing of 17/18 could be iffy, which seems even more ridiculous.

Now, I know the guy is not exactly a savant when it comes to all things society and relationsships, so it really just seems like bullshit. Is this really such a hot topic in the US; do guys barely above the legal age themselves have to run around asking the girls they date for ID?

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
this seems like a set up... but...

the issues that i've seen to actually be prevalent are when the guy is underage, but older than his girlfriend by a few years. then he graduates high school and his girlfriend is still 16. it gets into some weird issues.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
Lol calm down guys. I'm being serious here, I'm not from the US so I'm just looking for input from people other than socially stunted guys I know on Steam. And my example was not "asking for a friend" either.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Nothing would happen if everyone involved was fine with it....but if a parent doesn't like the guy, he's fucked for life.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
With some exceptions the only thing that matters is the age of the youngest participant. (Age of consent varies by state from 16 to 18 and sometimes there are buffers of 6 mo/1/2/3 years, etc.) It's usually never enforced unless the younger participant is a girl whose parents disapprove, or if the older participant is an a position of authority (teacher).

If convicted of statutory rape you go on all the offender lists and are basically screwed for life.

Last edited:

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
It’s 100% varied by state. The age of consent itself varies and some states have Romeo and Juliet laws

iannis

Musty Nester
asking for a friend.

The real answer is that it depends on the parents. Statutory rape is a real thing and that 19 year old dating the 16 year old could be charged with it if the parents decided he was a piece of shit.

The state will protect your daughter even if she doesn't want to be protected. I never knew anyone personally, but as a teenager you heard stories.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

bytes

Molten Core Raider
So as a guy turning 18, you better break up with your girlfriend if her dad doesn't like you? Seems nuts.

• 1Worf
  • 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 users

alavaz

Trakanon Raider
It's pretty clear cut.Just look up age of consent in your state. Some states also have "Romeo and Julliette" laws where age differences come into play.

In the digital age though, you can get busted for having nudes of your girl/boy friend if they are under age (even if you are under age). CP is CP.

khorum

Murder Apologist
So as a guy turning 18, you better break up with your girlfriend if her dad doesn't like you? Seems nuts.
Well in some states he'd just fucking shoot you in the face so yeah.

• 1Worf

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Lol calm down guys. I'm being serious here, I'm not from the US so I'm just looking for input from people other than socially stunted guys I know on Steam. And my example was not "asking for a friend" either.
OK, so you're not from the US.

How many underage girls have you dated in not-America?

EDIT: IBTR

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

• 2Like
  • 2Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 5 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Ages of consent in the United States - Wikipedia

Quite a few states have the thing where the "perpetrator" has to be at least 4 years older or something along those lines, but not all of them. The only time it really comes up is when the person is much older or the girl's parents decide to go apeshit and convince a DA to go along with them.

• 1Like

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
You have to remember that it is all the parents liking you or not And whether or not sex is involved when she is under the age of consent.. good rule of thumb, if you are not sure of the consent age, LOOK IT UP! If she is younger than that, personally, I'd wait until she is old enough. For the record, I was 18 when I started dating my wife. She was 15. We have been together since June 22 1984. Married since Sept 3 1995.