Death Note (2017)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
at least the jap ones got Rhuk correct

vlcsnap-2015-07-09-16h09m06s197.png

This white washed rhuk looks pretty plump and actually worse cgi, how da fuq they fail that bad?

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
the light in this white light is fucking terribad including Mia. I stopped watching this garbage after they had sex.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Outside of getting every single character wrong, failing to capture any of the aspects of death note that made it so good, a shitty story, and bad acting, this was a good flick.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I would not recommend.
The editor/directly basically crammed as much as possible into the allocated screen time, not letting the scenes and dialog flow naturally.

Chris

Potato del Grande
I think this movie may have ruined the anime, I'm watching it right now to get the bad taste of stupid American Light and L out of my mouth and I'm bursting into laughter everytime Light or L say "better not do this" and it's something that happened in the movie.

The first one is the first victim in the movie who gets decapitated by the car, in the anime smart Japanese Light walks past the equivalent character and says "should I kill him? better not kill anyone I know it'll be suspicious!"

I also laughed when his mother welcomes him home and he has a perfect (if boring) life, meanwhile American Light is screaming like a little bitch.

I don't agree that they crammed as much as possible into it, the first kill in the anime is much sooner than the first kill in the movie. They dumbed it down and put in stupid action shit.

Binks

Golden Knight of the Realm
The best part of the movie was it reminded me I enjoy Trentmoller:
It's okay to watch if you're not devoting your attention to it.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
in the source material, is it really that irrelevant who the keeper actually is?
what you mean by the keeper? probably no one finished this horribleness and the anime is 10years old, so please remind, do you mean the owner of the death note?

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
anime is 10years old, so please remind, do you mean the owner of the death note?
Yes, Ryuk refers to him as the Keeper a few times. Yet it seems utterly irrelevant, anyone can write into it, rip it apart and so on.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Yes, Ryuk refers to him as the Keeper a few times. Yet it seems utterly irrelevant, anyone can write into it, rip it apart and so on.
The owner of a notebook can see the Shinigami possessing it, however they can touch someone else with the notebook/notebook paper so they can see too. Also anyone can write in any notebook or paper torn out of a notebook without consequence and it works.

So yes, so far it's irrelevent.

In the manga Light has Ryuk write a fake rule that if you don't keep writing names then you die after a month, in an attempt to clear himself and stop others from using it.

The owner has two special "powers" which I don't think are in the movie:
1) They can trade half their lifespan for "shinigami eyes" so they can see people's true name and lifespan floating over their heads. Light refuses this deal, as he sees it as beneath him.
2) They can give up ownership of the notebook but their memory of the notebook is wiped. They get their memory back if they touch the notebook again.

In the manga there is a second notebook and the combination of the above two powers means she trades for the eyes two or three times lol.

Just watch the Anime, it's superb, the music elevates it above the Manga in my opinion. Don't watch any of the movies, even the Japanese ones.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The owner of a notebook can see the Shinigami possessing it, however they can touch someone else with the notebook/notebook paper so they can see too. Also anyone can write in any notebook or paper torn out of a notebook without consequence and it works.

So yes, so far it's irrelevent.

In the manga Light has Ryuk write a fake rule that if you don't keep writing names then you die after a month, in an attempt to clear himself and stop others from using it.

The owner has two special "powers" which I don't think are in the movie:
1) They can trade half their lifespan for "shinigami eyes" so they can see people's true name and lifespan floating over their heads. Light refuses this deal, as he sees it as beneath him.
2) They can give up ownership of the notebook but their memory of the notebook is wiped. They get their memory back if they touch the notebook again.

In the manga there is a second notebook and the combination of the above two powers means she trades for the yes two or three times lol.

Just watch the Anime, it's superb, the music elevates it above the Manga in my opinion. Don't watch any of the movies, even the Japanese ones.
fuck me, chris is some kind of death note savant and i'm struggling to remember misa

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
To be fair, Misa was a complete airhead and hardly memorable. They should have left her part of the ending open to revisit in a time skipped sequel, but since the last 12 episodes after the big climax were awful anyways i'm not surprised.

• 1Solidarity

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
To be fair, Misa was a complete airhead and hardly memorable. They should have left her part of the ending open to revisit in a time skipped sequel, but since the last 12 episodes after the big climax were awful anyways i'm not surprised.
Finally someone who understands me.
After
L's death
, the entire story had no meaning whatsoever.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Singh'sSpot

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think Joker was a better Death Note movie than this, you didn't need no demon book, just clown makeup and insanity.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Finally someone who understands me.
After
L's death
, the entire story had no meaning whatsoever.
There's lots of meaning.

You have Light's transition from a morally grey to an outright evil character as his God complex and hubris develops. Also the effect that has on his family/friends/colleagues.

You have N and M's relationship with each other and L as their various personality quirks are explored and how N's superior analytical skills and M's risk taking are inadequate alone but together surpass L who has a mix of both.

You have Ryuk's true motives and utter callousness which he clearly explained at the start of the story.

It's the Citizen Kain of manga/anime.

• 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
When i watched the anime, after an entire series of super geniuses sucking each other's intellect off i wanted the airhead chick to be the one to bring down Light.

• 1Worf