Defiance (Syfy April 2013) TV Series and MMO

Goatface

the MMO Thread

no real new news, but the game starts beta shortly and seeing the trailer on tv, so maybe more info will start coming out. reportedly has a combined $80 to $100 million budget, so hopefully it will turn out decent.

The series is set in the near future, where aliens known collectively as Votans have come to Earth seeking a new home after their solar system was destroyed. However, when they reached Earth, they discovered despite a prolonged negotiation with the government on Earth, they were not welcome. Rather than turn away, they began a war with the humans as they are determined to make Earth their new home. During the war, the Votans drop terraformers on the planet and transform the surface of the planet; scorching the earth, opening chasms in the ground and covering the surface of the planet in dust and debris. After decades of war, a ceasefire is declared when both sides realise they must focus on survival on this new almost alien planet. The series largely revolves around the character of Jeb Nolan. Jeb was only ten years old when the Votans arrived and he served in the military during the war. With the war now over, he returns to his hometown of St Louis to find it's is no longer the city he left; it is little more than refugee camp. Deciding his services are needed, Jeb takes up a position as the Chief Lawkeeper in Defiance, so he can protect the town from dangerous clashes between humans, aliens, military scavengers and other dangerous visitors who occasionally enter the town

spronk

FPS noob
i can't wait to see the show and see IpwnF8gs and EatAD1ck in the background dry humping each other

spronk

FPS noob
from the mmo forum, signup athttp://defiance.com/en/betafor the first stress test. I signed up with my expired Rift account and just got an invitation email for jan 11 stress test, havent played rift in over a year so I assume they are just taking everyone.

Sneeto

Golden Squire
Anyone get a chance to watch this show? Im slightly interested. If its good I can get all caught up thanks to on demand for now, but I dont want to spend 3-4 hours watching crap hoping "the next episode will turn it around"

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I have a sneaking suspicion that the game is going to be much more interesting than the series. I would have expected a Farscape kinda vibe from the thing, except it looks like nearly all the main characters are human with only a couple token Votans among the bunch... Seems kinda silly to go to the trouble of having all these different Votan races and then not really make much use of them. I would have thought there would be at least one main character from each of the principle races.

Errorplane

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Premieres tonight for those who may have forgotten. Really hoping this is good so I can have some SciFi in my life.

Lusiphur

Peasant
There only seem to be shit rips out at the moment so beware. There is one proper sized 720p rip (marked as PreAir, I checked Usenet and IPTorrents) but it stutters like a motherfucker and the capper manages to flash his windows task manager at you too.
It's Rockne O'Bannon so it is very Farscape like from the 10 or so minutes I watched before I gave up and decided to wait for a better rip.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I just watched the 14 min trailer and it seemed decent enough. Obviously not enough to judge the story, etc... Looking forward to tonite.

Fadaar

That guy
Was meh, CGI is questionable in some spots ie the car chase. Might be worth continuing to watch.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
The CGI effects and especially makeup is just not good. Farscape was over 10 years ago and looks much much better...hopefully they sort their shit out after the pilot.

Terial

Trakanon Raider
This show completly reminds me of that show that lasted i think 1 season .. .Spielberg's Terra Nova. But now there are aliens instead of Dino's
I'll continue to watch though as there are no other good scifi shows on tv right now.