Design help for hammock pergola

Aychamo BanBan

<Banned>
Hi all,

I want to have a hammock pergola built in the backyard, basically exactly like this one. It looks like its made out of cypress or cedar (redwood?), which is what most of the nice pergolas are made of if I understand correctly. My question is about burying the posts. I've read that burying these types of posts makes them rot quicker, but I've read you can dip them in pressure treatment stuff, and wrap them in a certain material, bury them in cement, and that they'll then last a very long time. But I keep reading the absolute best thing is to bury a CBRS (or whatever) metal mount in cement, and then mount the post in that, which will keep the wood out of the ground. Obviously that does seem better, but this is the problem:

Most of those discussion are for porches or other square or rectangular shaped structures. For a hammock pergola, there is only two posts, which makes me worry about it falling over to one side or the other. In my naive, non-construction mind, I feel like if the posts were mounted on metal mounts and the metal is buried in cement, that it would be so top heavy that it would just either rip the metal mounts off or it would simply uproot the cement (I feel this way because you'd have like 2-3 feet of cement buried, but 8 feet of post, with a bunch of wood shit up top, giving it tons of torque to uproot itself.) I feel that in this case, burying the posts would be best, but then we increase the chance of rot.

What would you do? Are my concerns retarded?

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Put the posts into the ground about 1/3 the height of the post above ground and fill it with some well mixed cement. Done. Make the hole in the ground about a foot across or so.

If you want to do it pro, get cemented posts and bolt them into posts like you mentioned. Either way, that shit ain't tipping at all unless the ground is not solid.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
In my naive, non-construction mind, I feel like if the posts were mounted on metal mounts and the metal is buried in cement, that it would be so top heavy that it would just either rip the metal mounts off or it would simply uproot the cement (I feel this way because you'd have like 2-3 feet of cement buried, but 8 feet of post, with a bunch of wood shit up top, giving it tons of torque to uproot itself.) I feel that in this case, burying the posts would be best, but then we increase the chance of rot.

What would you do? Are my concerns retarded?
Your way would mean that basically it would be unable to build any 6 foot high privacy fences. It's not top heavy, a bag of quikrete at the bottom prevents that sonuvabitch from moving in anything less than a hurricane.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Put the posts into the ground about 1/3 the height of the post above ground and fill it with some well mixed cement. Done. Make the hole in the ground about a foot across or so.

If you want to do it pro, get cemented posts and bolt them into posts like you mentioned. Either way, that shit ain't tipping at all unless the ground is not solid.
^^^

As far as the wood type, using the kind of 4x4 I used for my bumpers would be sufficient strength wise but uglier than your delicate ass might want. You may also be able to find a 6x6 easily too. You can pick that up at Home Depot. Alternatively:

http://www.amazon.com/Vivere-UHSDO9-...5858833&sr=1-1

This'll cost less than the lumber/cement/hammock you want, requires less space and is portable.

Silver Knight of the Realm
I would honestly say just bury and cement the posts bro. There's little risk of a post buried 3' in the ground in a nice chunk of cement being uprooted in a wind storm simply because there's a little bit of lumber and lattice at the top of it. If you want to get really fancy with decay prevention you can slope the top of your concrete down away from the post and put some copper cladding around the bit at ground level like you've no doubt seen in other places. Probably wouldn't hurt to treat/wrap the posts like you mentioned either, but I don't think it's really necessary.

Alice_sl

shitlord
I will suggest you to cover the location from top, so you can also enjoy the rainy weather. There are different styles,
The modern styles look great arranged on a patio, deck, or under a pergola. Even the traditional ones have been given a new lease of life, with wonderfully coloured and patterned fabrics. Add colour co-ordinated cushions to make it look even more inviting.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Get the portable one linked above. Depending on where you live and the time of year, time of day, etc the sun can be in different places. Being able to turn the thing 90 degrees if you need to so the sun isn't in your face would be damn nice.
Chances are you might not want it in the same spot for the next 20 years, give yourself options.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Hire some Mexicans to do it - how can you lose?
'

Seriously, that's one sweet looking hammock - pics when you're done?

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Get treated wood. I can understand why he wants to build something nice those portable ones always look like trash