Designing a Card Game

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah more and more I am feeling like this is a board game. I just don't know a good way to do it card. I wanted it to be quick with very little rules necessary that you can just pick up and play.

Yeah I am for sure going to develop it and put it on kickstarter also if we get anywhere close to being fun.
You'd be my hero if you did. I've made six games and uncountable custom expansions to existing ones, but never had balls/follow-through to get beyond friends and homemade materials.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
It's not publicly available yet, but my latest in prototype is on Tabletop Simulator now.

nothing.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
have you seen Plants vs Zombies Heroes ever? zombie card game that would very likely have a "card" just like that Gun Zombie.
No, not yet.
The game was designed with my 5yo.
Game development is my passion and then one day he showed interest
Original notes from Levi.jpg

These were his ideas, summarized by me, and then it took off from there. The bulk of the game I made that day. I've been tweaking and playtesting since.
Then I started doodling on my phone. 5yo loves zombies, but doesn't like gross or scary ones.
sketch-1564511876006.png

After this guy, whom I like quite much, I thought I could illustrate all. But I'm not an artist and thus take a bit too long per item, feeling I should switch gears; save time; and outsource that part.

(His shirt is mostly red in the final version)

Edit: Watched some PvZ: Heroes and the gameplay is completely different.

He wanted to call this The Crafting Dead, which is a great name, but one he plagiarized. I can also see this shifting away from zombies theme and eventually have zany deck matchups ala Smashup.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Edit: Watched some PvZ: Heroes and the gameplay is completely different.

Yeah gameplay seems pretty different based on the small bit I've seen, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the Plants vs Zombies franchise in case you get accused of plagiarism if this takes off some day.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You should make a Q-anon trading card game, like the old Illuminati: New World Order CCG but fucking crazier somehow.

• 2Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah gameplay seems pretty different based on the small bit I've seen, just wanted to make sure you were aware of the Plants vs Zombies franchise in case you get accused of plagiarism if this takes off some day.
Ah, I see. I'm not too worried about that. PvZ shares nothing except goofy zombies, but even then art style and mechanics and basically everything else are completely different.

If anybody would like to playtest, please let me know.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Looking more into it, PvZ use street cones for comedic relief in various places. "Crafting Dead" won't use the cones. The cone card backs are actually my company logo (notice my name) and I use that back on my prototypes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
Looking more into it, PvZ use street cones for comedic relief in various places. "Crafting Dead" won't use the cones. The cone card backs are actually my company logo (notice my name) and I use that back on my prototypes.

ah yeah whoops, i should have mentioned that, guess it didn't really click tho, just knew it FELT really familiar! haha :)

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been directed to some blogs about the things to do before launching a Kickstarter, but call me skeptical. Most are "Start a blog and respond to other bloggers."
Seems like a bunch of bloggers trying to convince others that blogging is relevant.

I've got the game down, now for the art, the titling (both Crafting Dead and Combiner Wars are taken), the rule book (after the card art is done), the printing details and contract and get it out there.

Kickstarter itself could be the distribution hub and pay for the art assets. So really, the title and printing company.

My game isn't some superheavy Scythe. It's more like Munchkin or Flux.

Mizake

Trakanon Raider
I've been toying around with the idea of designing a game myself, although mine is a board game, more along the lines of something like Gloomhaven.

Did you by chance read the book by Jamie Stegmaier? It's called A Crowdfunder's Strategy Guide. I got a lot of useful insights out of it, maybe you would as well, especially since it sounds like you are getting close to publishing.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I see this is from 2018 but just saw this.

My simple idea:

50 card deck for the states. Collect these for electoral points.
Distribute all 50 randomly to all players. They are face up public knowledge.
Each state might have bonuses and negatives .. idk

Game is on a turn limit, each turn is 1 day. Game ends after x amount of turns (days). Election day might have a separate deck of cards to swing things to 270 points. Idk

Each turn draw a "daily event" card. These will effect your collection of states in numerous ways. Negative events would force you to pass state cards to other people, positive cards allow you to steal from others.

Some examples might be: held a rally in x state, take that card if you don't already own it... or, news out of secret affair , lose 25 electoral votes ( put states in a common pool equaling that total) , won a national debate, collect 25 electoral votes of your choosing, etc.

That's all I got

• 2Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I've been toying around with the idea of designing a game myself, although mine is a board game, more along the lines of something like Gloomhaven.

Did you by chance read the book by Jamie Stegmaier? It's called A Crowdfunder's Strategy Guide. I got a lot of useful insights out of it, maybe you would as well, especially since it sounds like you are getting close to publishing.
His blog is the one that I was mainly referring to

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Refining my idea a bit:

Players start with a minimal hand-size of state cards, the cards in your hand are considered "locked in". All remaining cards are in a common pool "swing states".
Once election day hits, the Swing states are distributed in some manner - idk how, something that can mimic voting maybe.

Cards in your hand pre-election day will continue to be manipulated by "Daily Event cards"... for fairness, maybe need 2 pools of events (positive+negative) or a player draws multiple cards and can choose to discard strategically, idk.

Somehow strategy needs to revolve around collecting electoral points, states with high electoral counts should be hard to acquire, and keep your hand size low (risky), states with lower amount maybe easier to hoard (bigger hand size, less risk, but need a lot more swing votes). Maybe there's an upkeep (days spent rallying in those states), or something.

Maybe the amount of event cards drawn is a function of the states you have locked in.

"locked in" means you've won those electoral votes if you still have those cards once election day hits. It doesn't mean you can't lose them pre-election day.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I've been directed to some blogs about the things to do before launching a Kickstarter, but call me skeptical. Most are "Start a blog and respond to other bloggers."
Seems like a bunch of bloggers trying to convince others that blogging is relevant.

I've got the game down, now for the art, the titling (both Crafting Dead and Combiner Wars are taken), the rule book (after the card art is done), the printing details and contract and get it out there.

Kickstarter itself could be the distribution hub and pay for the art assets. So really, the title and printing company.

My game isn't some superheavy Scythe. It's more like Munchkin or Flux.

haha honestly, you could go back through the Pantheon thread during the time period when they were doing their Kickstarter (~February 2014) and learn what NOT to do while reading a bunch of people give Brad good advice on what TO do.

• 1Worf

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
Don't want to spam this feed, but for now, I'm living the dream. Such a small yet self-moving task. Blogging, day two.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
When do you think I should make what I'm doing a project of an official "company" - I have the name and logo, but I'm thinking instead of worrying about locking all that in and spending capital I don't have, just have all of that unofficial until the funds do come and if somehow it gets taken, shrug and come up with another name.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
When do you think I should make what I'm doing a project of an official "company" - I have the name and logo, but I'm thinking instead of worrying about locking all that in and spending capital I don't have, just have all of that unofficial until the funds do come and if somehow it gets taken, shrug and come up with another name.
An actual LLC to back it is a minimal expense and I think will save you a lot of headache in the future IF you do well.

• 1Like

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider

I played a good 8 games with randoms including multiplayer (3 players), which wasn't initially intended. I was surprised how well that went. I only had to alter a few wordings to clarify opponent singular versus opponents plural.
I graciously accepted their feedback although I had to read between the lines. Some of their suggestions would have changed things drastically, but they all at the core had the same observation.

Previously, the survivors were relatively weak but had tricks up their sleeves; while each dead faction play was more limited but stronger. Almost exclusively, the dead faction players perceived their options were weaker than the potential of the survivors, when in truth the odds were in their own favor.
-- I DO want a sense of suspense and upset/Jumpscare moments -- but it Must be in the right way, I experienced.

When all was said and done, I tweaked about 27 cards and I look forward to another internal playtest to see how things roll.

Last edited:
  • 1Like