Desktop Computers

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
First time using an AIO in...like a decade? Amusing that the temps werent too far from my triple rad custom loop. It's actually fairly depressing when you think about it. Then again my current room does have higher ambient temps due to FL. Cant wait to leave and have another furnished basement.
Cost/time & maintenance of a water loop system vs pop in AIO and go for around the same temps = no brainer for me. My new system with the red devil 7900 xtx is the first build in a long time that I didn't buy a GPU with an AIO loop.

Custom ones look better 1000%

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
There really is no maintenance, if you use clear coolant you can leave that shit in forever - The real issue is the cost.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I haven’t flushed my clear loop in a year and it’s still fine. The dyes definitely clog quickly and cause issues. I used like 5 drops of some red dye 2 years ago on a prior loop and my cpu block had a bunch of clogging from the fallout.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is an 850watt power supply enough to run modern cards on a 5900x? This 6700XT is getting long in the tooth for modern games and I want to squeeze several more years out of this system. I run a decent amount of RGB. So, that eats up some wattage, but not sure that it's enough to matter? I'd like to stay with AMD, but Adrenalin is just absolute ass IMO. I'm thinking of swapping over to nVidia, but it's probably best to wait on the 5xxx series, no?

Furthermore, how much of a difference is a 5800x3D going to make over my 5900x?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Higher tier 850w PSUs handle everything below 4090, but if you currently have a 4090 you are probably buying a 50xx so you might want a 1000w to cover yourself for the next few years.

• 1Like

Jovec

?
Furthermore, how much of a difference is a 5800x3D going to make over my 5900x?

5800X3D is the best gaming CPU you can get for AM4. The actual improvement over your 5900X will vary based on different factors. Average FPS gains will vary based on resolution, GPU power, and settings used. In general, the better the GPU you have and the lower the resolution you game at, the bigger the gains you will get over your 5900X. Conversely, with a mid-range GPU, 4K res, and all the eye-candy turned on, you might not see much improvement in average FPS. But 1% lows will be better, which means smoother frame rates and less stuttering.

The 5800X3D has been out for a while now, so buying one today really depends on how long you plan to keep your AM4 system. When it launched it was the best gaming CPU, bar none. Today, you can match 5800X3D performance with a ~$300 7700x on AM5, and the ~$200 7600x comes close. The IPC, MHz, and DDR5 gains of AM5 have negated some of the 5800X3D cache advantage. It's your money - upgrade today then upgrade again tomorrow if you want to like Xexx Xexx , but I suppose what matters is 1) if you are happy with your current CPU performance and 2) when you expect to make your next platform upgrade.

Last edited:
  • 1Like