Desktop Computers

Vandyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Anyone got any good recommendations for a router? We have a number of devices in the house (2 PC's and assorted mobile), plus HD stream to the roku. The PC's are close enough to be wired to the router but everything else would be wireless.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
If you think SSDs aren't all that great perhaps you are the target for those "download more RAM" commercials.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Anyone got any good recommendations for a router? We have a number of devices in the house (2 PC's and assorted mobile), plus HD stream to the roku. The PC's are close enough to be wired to the router but everything else would be wireless.
Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers Accessories

You can also get the same version from Best Buy, but their model is the RT-N66R. It is the exact same model, I think the R just stands for Retail. I love it. I put the Merlin firmware on it and it has been a champ.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's not the software, it's the actuation of the LMB/RMB that's the big problem. They feel like they are little... Diving boards? Too long and attached at the rear. They feel like they are floating. At the front tip of the mouse, the distance to press them down feels too long, yet it takes too little pressure. It's the strangest feeling, and something I've never experienced before in a mouse.

Also, the thumb rest on the left side is too narrow. There's not enough room below the side buttons for my thumb. This wouldn't be a problem if the buttons right above it weren't baby's breath sensitive. You may not have this issue since your thumbs are probably far more narrow than mine.

Bottom line: if you bought this mouse thinking you could play FPS games with it, while having an effective multi button MMORPG/MOBA mouse, think again. Id never play an FPS with this thing. If you play CS:GO don't even open the box.
Actually there's a firmware update that prevents misclicks on some of the buttons.

This thing is pretty rad, but yeah, if it was about 10% bigger on every axis it would be a lot better. The thumb rest is a bit narrow and my two small fingers on the right side are just kinda hanging out with nowhere to go.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Actually there's a firmware update that prevents misclicks on some of the buttons.

This thing is pretty rad, but yeah, if it was about 10% bigger on every axis it would be a lot better. The thumb rest is a bit narrow and my two small fingers on the right side are just kinda hanging out with nowhere to go.
Ah weird. Didn't know that was possible. I sold it already anyway.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
What's the current popular wisdom on monitors? Are IPS panels fast enough now that ghosting isn't much of an issue? I've used TN's since forever to avoid blurry games, but more and more of my time is spent in productivity software and I'm leaning towards IPS's nicer colors and view angles.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Not sure but just recently i bought a 24" Samsung from Costco, and it sure seems like an IPS by the way the screen is viewable at all angles. Its pretty fucking nice for $169

http://www.costco.com/.product.10012...oryTopProducts

edit: it says its a PLS LED backlit, whatever the fuck that is.

Samsung S24D590PL: Input Lag, Gaming and Image Quality

So it got a good review...

Also about PLS...

In 2012 Samsung Electronics introduced Super PLS (Plane-to-Line Switching) with the intent of superseding IPS. Samsung adopted PLS panels instead of AMOLED panels, because in the past AMOLED panels had difficulties in realizing full HD resolution on mobile devices. PLS technology was Samsung's wide-viewing angle LCD technology, similar to LG's IPS technology.[13]

Samsung claimed the following benefits of Super PLS (commonly referred to as just "PLS") over IPS:[14]

Further improvement in viewing angle
10 percent increase in brightness
Up to 15 percent decrease in production costs
Increased image quality
Flexible panel

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Nice. Shit, I thought getting some Sandisk 512's a few months back for that price was pretty sweet. Nice to see that SSD's are finally getting down and dirty for large capacities. I've been fixing my sister's i3-2100 computer the last couple days, and it has a 1tb platter drive. It's fuckingatrocious.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Amazon.com: ASUS RT-N66U Dual-Band Wireless-N900 Gigabit Router: Computers Accessories

You can also get the same version from Best Buy, but their model is the RT-N66R. It is the exact same model, I think the R just stands for Retail. I love it. I put the Merlin firmware on it and it has been a champ.
I bought the AC version of that earlier this week. Really liking it so far. The only complaint I have (and the only complaint I've seen) is that there's no fan in it. So it gets quite warm.

I should pick up a new SSD soon. I've got a 32GB one in my HTPC that really needs replacing, since it basically has like 1 gig free after installing everything I need just to run it. I think I've got a 128 in my desktop, so I could probably go with a larger one for my desktop and throw my current one into the HTPC.

Is there anywhere that has a review or list of which manufacturers to avoid for SSDs? The only one I know for sure that's worthwhile is Intel.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
AnandTech | Bench - SSD

Samsung is generally the best. Their Pro drives are amazing, and even the Evo drives are quite good. I'd be perfectly fine buying pretty much anything from Samsung, Intel, or OCZ, those 3 are consistently good.

And generally speaking, the closer your SSD is to full, the slower it gets. You start to get performance hits once you get over 50% full, but not terrible at that point. but if you have a 32GB SSD that only has 1GB free, that thing is going to be dogass slow.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I don't trust OCZ with their spotty reliability. We got burned at where I work after we bought ~100 OCZ drives and had about a 15% failure rate. Maybe they are better now that they went bankrupt and got bought out by Toshiba.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
AnandTech | Bench - SSD

Samsung is generally the best. Their Pro drives are amazing, and even the Evo drives are quite good. I'd be perfectly fine buying pretty much anything from Samsung, Intel, or OCZ, those 3 are consistently good.

And generally speaking, the closer your SSD is to full, the slower it gets. You start to get performance hits once you get over 50% full, but not terrible at that point. but if you have a 32GB SSD that only has 1GB free, that thing is going to be dogass slow.
I'd highly recommend Samsung for SSD's as well. I've got I think 4 of them now from the 830 Pro, 840 Pro, an 840 EVO and another 830 non-pro (I think?) They're fast and reliable.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
OCZ was good when they were the first ones pushing 500MB/s read/write speeds, but now the market has caught up and everyone is fast, everyone is reliable and it's a race to the lowest cost possible, aka it's being commoditized. The prices are only going to drop and could be lower than HDDs soon, because HDDs are actually more complex than SSDs

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've got an OCZ and it hasn't been the worst but it certainly hasn't been perfect. Would not buy again. When I go to get a new one it will most likey be a Samsung.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
What is this wizardry ?

ktHR22u.png

Rear Expansion slot Caddy For 2.5" IDE/SATA HDD/SSD

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Apparently they expect us to have multiple SSDs loaded with programs and we simply hotswap out the back with the game we want to play?