Desktop Computers

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
Quick question for building a PC from the ground up - if you're ordering case/motherboard/HDD etc., do all of the cable/brackets you need come with these or will they need to be ordered separately?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
All of the cables will be in there, and you'll probably have duplicates. Like, your motherboard will probably come with hard drive SATA cables, and your hard drive will probably come with some more. You'll have a huge box full of cables and brackets and screws left over when you're done.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Everything comes with everything you need. Motherboard comes with SATA cbles, usually 2, so if you have any more SATA devices you will need to buy more. So for example, if you have a SSD, a regular HD and an optical drive, you will need to buy an extra SATA cable. that is if you buy OEM parts, which are the best deal anyway. Buy 2-3 more just in case to future proof.

The bracakets are contained in the case, usually now the newer cases all have tool less designs, where you just "snap" in the device.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Here's attempt #2 on video editing machine:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Po7Y

Love that site, btw!
You are showing a non K processor, which Im assuming you will not be overclocking. But you have a Z77 motherboard which is an overclocker board. Go with a H77 board if you are not going to overclock, might save you a few bucks.

Also that CM power supply I would be wary about. Go anything Seasonic, or XFX, or PC Power and Cooling...

Like this...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151074
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817703034
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817151094
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817207018

All the above will be more than enough to power his system and you will not be worried if hes gonna fry his system, or worse yet, burn his house down with some shoddy PCU.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
So my desktop computer has been having issues I was 90% sure were related to the HD dying. I took it to a local computer shop who confirmed it (I don't really have time to do my own trouble shooting anymore, and it's been a few years since I built a computer).

Now I'm getting that fixed, but they also said my I7 processor was running hot. And they thought the thermal paste had dried out.

I asked if they could just slap a new fan on, and they said no, it's part of the processor and I'd have to drop $250 on a new one.

Is that how it is now? I was always under the impression you could replace the stock fan.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's 100% BS, unless for some reason there is a company out there making pre-built computers that somehow solder their coolers to the CPU/motherboard or something absolutely crazy like that(but I highly doubt it). Any retail i7, even going all the way back to the original 1st gen 920s have always had removable heat sinks & fans.

Find a different shop, they are trying to screw you.

Gorillaz_sl

shitlord
That's 100% BS, unless for some reason there is a company out there making pre-built computers that somehow solder their coolers to the CPU/motherboard or something absolutely crazy like that(but I highly doubt it). Any retail i7, even going all the way back to the original 1st gen 920s have always had removable heat sinks & fans.

Find a different shop, they are trying to screw you.
Yeah it's a custom rig that a friend built for me. I figured that wasn't true. I've already paid the $50 diagnostic fee (which can be applied towards whatever fixing I needed), so it's kind of annoying to walk.

I might have to ask to talk to the owner of the store.

Jovec

?
Yeah it's a custom rig that a friend built for me. I figured that wasn't true. I've already paid the $50 diagnostic fee (which can be applied towards whatever fixing I needed), so it's kind of annoying to walk.

I might have to ask to talk to the owner of the store.
Although it doesn't hurt to clean the fans and replace the TIM, you can check to see if you are actually having temperature issues. You can run Prime95 to load the CPU and use Coretemp to monitor the temps. TJMAX is probably around 100c, but I would be worried if you are hitting the 90s on the stock cooler or 80s on a custom one at stock speeds and voltages. Intel CPUs are have great thermal throttling so check if the CPU is being downclocked under load. Ivy Bridge (3000 series) temps will be higher than Sandy Bridge (2000 series), but a reference point many custom coolers will keep temps in the low 60Cs under P95.

For heat issues, make sure your case and fans are clean. Compressed air (if using the cans, keep them upright) works. I use a shop-vac as a blower (run it a few seconds away from the computer to make sure the air stream is clean). I also hold the fan blades in place.

TIM/paste can lose performance over time and some types suffer from pump-out. It isn't too difficult to remove the cooler, clean the top of the CPU and bottom of the heatsink with isopropyl alcohol (90%+ if you can), and reapply new TIM. With the Intel stock cooler with push-pins you will need access to the back of the motherboard to remove it. Same with some customer coolers.

If it is the stock Intel cooler:

stock cooler.jpg

You could probably find a brand new on on Ebay or CL for under $20 as many don't bother to use it (I have 2 unused). Or you could pick up an aftermarket cooler for around $20-$30 (sale/rebate) + tax and shipping that would provide much better performance. This one is probably the most popular at that price point:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835103065

Or you could go up to something like this which is basically top-end air:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835608024

Or look into All-In-One (AIO) water from around $60-$120:
http://www.newegg.com/Water-Liquid-C...ategory/ID-575

Finally, if you already have a custom cooler, you almost certainly replace the fan with an appropriate 80, 92, 120, or 140mm fan for $5 to $20.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
So, I'm thinking of building a new PC soon. But with the new consoles coming up soon, would this be wise? I seem to remember the minimum specs for everything shooting up right after the new systems came out last generation. I think it's because I bought a PC right before multi-core and dual-video cards became a big thing. It kind of fucked me over, so I'm looking to avoid that.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Well, the core of your system wont go anywhere. Haswell (new intell architecture) is ready to hit this June with about 10%-15% better performance than Ivy Bridge (current architecture) and quite honestly, those processors will last you years. In fact Intell is working on their integrated video and making it all work at lower wattages and temps so they can infiltrate the mobile market. So we wont be seeing any major shifts in their overall designs of using 4-6 cores with i5 and adding hyper-threading to their i7.

There might be a shift to a new memory but not in the next few generations? So this only leaves shit like Video cards to be the only real thing that will need upgrades, especially when the new consoles push the graphical envelopes some more.

There has been a shift to SSD's lately which pound for pound will give you the most noticeable performance boost of any component. They are getting cheap as well and really make your entire system snappy. What people usually do is get a 120GB or 256GB SSD and install their OS and a few most used apps on it. Then storing and installing all their other shit on a big platter.

The dual video card thing still has problems such as micro stuttering, syncing, and driver issues. So its still best to just have one beefy card rather than 2 or more crappier ones. aAnd unless you are running some multi monitor setup, you will never need more than one card.

I would suggest you wait at least till June when Haswell hits. Its a new architecture and a new socket which will probably last a couple more generations which will give you more options.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I see, thanks for the reply! Would it be best to wait until after June? I know sometimes that these things can be buggy on release.

I was hoping to build a $700 or $800 system. Would that work out?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
If you want the latest and greatest, yeah wait until June. And I would say $800 is on the low side. Count on $1000, but the good news is that you have a couple of more months to save, right? And that system, save maybe a video card change, will last you at least 4 yrs.

Come back here when you are ready to build and well help you out with picking your parts out. I rather enjoy that.

Denjoy

Molten Core Raider
I see, thanks for the reply! Would it be best to wait until after June? I know sometimes that these things can be buggy on release.

I was hoping to build a $700 or $800 system. Would that work out?
There's a bug they caught late in the chipset that's going to end up being in the first Haswell motherboards. USB 3.0 devices will have problems after the system wakes up from sleep mode. So if you don't use sleep mode or any USB 3.0 devices I think you should be fine. According to this article they are fixing it but the motherboards with updated chipsets won't be available until August.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/mainboa...e_in_July.html

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
You dont necessarily need to wait. If you have the cash and are ready, you can buy right now and you will still have a solid system which will last for 4-5 yrs.

The current i5s are fucking beasts already.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
You dont necessarily need to wait. If you have the cash and are ready, you can buy right now and you will still have a solid system which will last for 4-5 yrs.

The current i5s are fucking beasts already.
5 - 6 years without upgrades? I'd love that.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, you'll have to upgrade your video card within those 5-6 years, but the rest of the PC will probably be solid. If you're gaming, you don't need to upgrade processors very often at all.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
5 - 6 years without upgrades? I'd love that.
I haven't upgraded my system in 3 years. My Sandy Bridge 2500K and AMD 6970 still runs all my games high max settings in 1080p so no reason to upgrade. I did buy a solid state drive though to replace my shitty 1TB drive for my OS/games.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I haven't upgraded my system in 3 years. My Sandy Bridge 2500K and AMD 6970 still runs all my games high max settings in 1080p so no reason to upgrade. I did buy a solid state drive though to replace my shitty 1TB drive for my OS/games.
And that 2500K will go for another 3 yrs in reality, considering that the current 3570 is about 10-15% or so better than the 2500K.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Hell, I'm still rocking a Q9550 on my desktop, albeit with an Nvidia 680. I don't tend to play bleeding edge games though. Stupid Steam back log.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah the desktop I just replaced was a Q6600 dell which is like a few generations older than your Q9550. And that thing was 2006-7. But it was starting to show its age and becoming a bottleneck for the GPU. But still, I played many games on that thing, including SWTOR, which was by no means a graphical powerhouse, but still... For 6 yrs use, its $1000 well spent.