Desktop Computers

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Been trying to find an answer for this on the intarwebz. Can I connect my PC to a 2007 iMac using mini DVI to DVI ? I know it's possible for later models of iMacs when they integrated Mini DisplayPorts on them. Trying to save room on our desk. -.-

edit: My video card also has a HDMI port on it (it's a 5870 Radeon), though, I don't think I've ever tried using it. So could a DVI to HDMI work?

Jilariz_sl

shitlord
Looks like the answer is no. The 2007 iMac only has video out. You could do a software solution but I wouldn't recommend it unless you seriously need a second screen and can't afford a new monitor. You could probably even sell the iMac and put the money towards a new monitor.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
My hubby unfortunately likes OSX. I guess I could always get a new iMac and use the Mini DisplayPort for my computer.

Chancellor Alkorin

Part-Time Sith
<Granularity Engineer>
Nothing wrong with OS X if you aren't a gamer. Windows master race up in here or something.

Troll_sl

shitlord
So, once my tax return comes in, I'm getting myself a wholly new computer for the first time in 12 years.

I'm pretty set on figuring it all out on my own, but anyone know of any significant price drops coming up soon that might make me want to hold off a little bit?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
What about this memory mess and the 970s that ive ben hearing about, has this been solved?
TLDR: Nvidia originally said the card had 4 GB of video memory when it really has 3.5 GB of "legit" memory and 0.5 GB of memory that really shouldn't be counted as usable video memory. I think that is about as plain and simple as one could put it (I think).

The card is fine, nothing wrong with it - as others have said you won't notice much unless you plan on going 4K SLI with it.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
AMD will be launching their new 300 series of cards sometime in the first half of 2015. There's no hard & fast release date though, so I wouldn't hold off on a build while waiting for them. Other than that, SSD prices just keep falling further and further, the longer you wait the better of a deal you will get. At this point, you can get the new Samsung 850 SSDs for about $90 for 250GB and $170 for 500GB if you catch the right deal/rebate.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Going to be getting my new gaming monitor soon. I'm leaning towards this one which should be out sometime late in March and seems to be the best choice for what I'm looking for:

lCG9rHg.png

Acer XB270HU
Size:27"
Resolution:2560x1440
Panel Type:IPS
Refresh Rate:144 Hz
G-Sync Enabled

Price:~$650

Links
CES 2015: The World??Ts First 144Hz IPS NVIDIA G-SYNC Monitor Unveiled | GeForce
AnandTech | Acer Announces Two Gaming Monitors At CES 2015
Acer XB270HU Preview - CNET
Acer Predator XB270HU 27 G-Sync IPS 144Hz Gaming Widescreen LED Monitor - Black/Red (UM.HB0EE.009) [UM.HB0EE.009]

Can't fucking waitttt

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
This should be priority, he actually likes that POS?

i mean iOS sure, everyone has an iSHIT, but to actually like OSX is a different concerning matter.
He doesn't game at all, which is why I was thinking of having a hackintosh originally.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Nice looking monitor Jeydax. A good IPS monitor (or two) is the only thing on my upgrade radar for the forseeable future.

It will be nice once it gets properly reviewed in the hands by the masses.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The only thing I am hesitant with is the brand. Acer? Since when have they been the pinnacle of display tech?

I'd feel more confident if it were an NEC or Samsung.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you think you'll see an Acer panel inside ? 90% sure it's gonna be made by Samsung or LG.
Yea, I know this. Hence why I said once it gets into the hands of the masses and real reviews start coming in.

Till then, it's a guessing game. Hopefully it's everything we wish it to be!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
TLDR: Nvidia originally said the card had 4 GB of video memory when it really has 3.5 GB of "legit" memory and 0.5 GB of memory that really shouldn't be counted as usable video memory. I think that is about as plain and simple as one could put it (I think).

The card is fine, nothing wrong with it - as others have said you won't notice much unless you plan on going 4K SLI with it.
Related:

GeForce GTX 970 Memory Scandal Gets NVIDIA Sued - Softpedia

While initially the GeForce GTX 970 was said to have 64 ROPs and 4 GB of VRAM, it's been discovered more recently that the memory amount is actually 3.5 GB + 500 MB ?spillover? and that the GPU only has 56 ROPs, as well as an L2 cache of 1.75 MB instead of 2 MB.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The only thing I am hesitant with is the brand. Acer? Since when have they been the pinnacle of display tech?

I'd feel more confident if it were an NEC or Samsung.
Acer made the first good 3D Vision monitor. Their gaming monitors have never been bad.

blehh_sl

shitlord
Finally getting around to upgrading my old 2600k system to a 3930k and gtx 970. I'm really on the fence about what monitor to buy. I'm considering one of the korean monitors, but I'm not sure if I want to go 2560 or 4k.