Desktop Computers

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I'm going to just wholesale get rid of my HDD and start fresh on the SSD. Do I need to "unregister" or something my copy of Win7 current on the HDD to be able to instal it on the SSD?
Shouldn't be any problems when a fresh install asks to check with the mothership for an authorization.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
The key isn't registered to a specific HDD or SSD.

When you go to install, and assuming you've back up your HDD, just format the HDD, format the SSD, and create a new partition for the HDD, create a new partition for the SSD, format the HDD and then select the SSD to install Windows on... does that make sense? Lotta "DDs" there.
smile.png

Genjiro

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Well fuck me.

So, my fucking bank thought my Cyber Monday order on my computer was fraudulent (since I dont usually make large purchases like this on this card) and declined the transaction so I lost out on about 200 dollars in savings, now these fucks just told me "oh ok now you can process your payment'!. Idk if there is anything I can do at this point to unfuck this situation as I doubt they're going to fix this. Going to try to talk to newegg, but I doubt this will get fixed.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Well fuck me.

So, my fucking bank thought my Cyber Monday order on my computer was fraudulent (since I dont usually make large purchases like this on this card) and declined the transaction so I lost out on about 200 dollars in savings, now these fucks just told me "oh ok now you can process your payment'!. Idk if there is anything I can do at this point to unfuck this situation as I doubt they're going to fix this. Going to try to talk to newegg, but I doubt this will get fixed.
just explain the situation to newegg, they'll probably give you the price

Rali

Trakanon Raider
So some more advice please. Have gone for the below list and parts are arriving over the next few days.

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor(?205.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler(?67.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard(?99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory(?75.98 @ More Computers)
Memory:Kingston HyperX Fury Black 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory(?75.98 @ More Computers)
Video Card:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card(?254.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total:?780.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 13:02 GMT+0000

Just spotted this :-SanDisk Z400S M.2 2280 SSD 128GB Solid State Hard Drive - Business Class | SD8SNAT-128G-1122 | Novatech

Would this be a decent drive to put my OS on? Enabling me to raid my current SSD's for my games?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So some more advice please. Have gone for the below list and parts are arriving over the next few days.

PCPartPicker part list/Price breakdown by merchant

CPU:Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor(?205.99 @ Ebuyer)
CPU Cooler:Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler(?67.98 @ Ebuyer)
Motherboard:Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard(?99.99 @ Amazon UK)
Video Card:Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card(?254.98 @ Amazon UK)
Total:?780.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-12-02 13:02 GMT+0000

Just spotted this :-SanDisk Z400S M.2 2280 SSD 128GB Solid State Hard Drive - Business Class | SD8SNAT-128G-1122 | Novatech

Would this be a decent drive to put my OS on? Enabling me to raid my current SSD's for my games?
As someone who has 32GB of RAM...32GB of RAM is pretty much a waste. I've never even seen my PC using anywhere close to 16GB of RAM, and while a lot of people will say "Ram Drive" with that much RAM, it's not enough to install any modern games for insane loading times (unless you count retro-style indie games that are small) but you can't play Witcher 3 or GTA5 or Fallout 4 out ofa 32GB RAM Drive, it's not enough. I've had 32GB of RAM since I built my PC 3 years ago, and I've never used anything that would have needed more than 16(and honestly, probably never done anything that needed more than 8-12) I chose to do it back in 2012 because RAM was dirt cheap, I got all 32GB for about $110 (DDR3 1866mhz), but even if I built a new machine today, I'd just scale back to 16GB, that's still going to be fine for several more years.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
As someone who has 32GB of RAM...32GB of RAM is pretty much a waste. I've never even seen my PC using anywhere close to 16GB of RAM, and while a lot of people will say "Ram Drive" with that much RAM, it's not enough to install any modern games for insane loading times (unless you count retro-style indie games that are small) but you can't play Witcher 3 or GTA5 or Fallout 4 out ofa 32GB RAM Drive, it's not enough. I've had 32GB of RAM since I built my PC 3 years ago, and I've never used anything that would have needed more than 16(and honestly, probably never done anything that needed more than 8-12) I chose to do it back in 2012 because RAM was dirt cheap, I got all 32GB for about $110 (DDR3 1866mhz), but even if I built a new machine today, I'd just scale back to 16GB, that's still going to be fine for several more years.
This.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I ended up going with an EVGA 970 and some new 2400 RAM (was same price as expanding the 1333 I had so I figured why not just go all new). Insane difference. With all those cheap 970s flying around... Can you SLI one model of 970 to another (e.g. Zotac to EVGA)?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
WTF is "Jet"? I want a 970 for $200.
Jet is trying to compete with Amazon but their niche is they're trying to be like online costco where you can get better deals buying in bulk. But they're flush with VC money and they're trying damn hard to get a user base that they sometimes offer crazy deals.

Tenks

The key isn't registered to a specific HDD or SSD.

When you go to install, and assuming you've back up your HDD, just format the HDD, format the SSD, and create a new partition for the HDD, create a new partition for the SSD, format the HDD and then select the SSD to install Windows on... does that make sense? Lotta "DDs" there.
smile.png
I'm planning on just having the SSD and not even have the HDD hooked up anymore. The SSD is a Tera and so is my old HDD. I probably will format the HDD prior to yanking it out, though.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I went for the 32Gb of RAM as I could afford it, and will never have to worry about changing it again.

More interested in opinions on that M.2 SSD though! seems to good a price to be true!
Sure you can afford it, its not that much money in the grand scheme of things, but it's honestly about as useful as buying a 2nd keyboard and mouse that you then throw in a closet and never use.

Maybe you might need them in 3 or 4 years, maybe not, but it's a 100% waste of money right now and odds are that by the time you do need them years down the road, it would be cheaper at that point anyways.

And while you might say "I just don't want to have to ever open up my computer and upgrade it". you'll be upgrading your video card multiple times before you ever need that extra 16GB of RAM, and RAM is easier to add than a new video card(but both are very easy)

Tenks

I have 16 GB RAM in my computer and I don't think I've ever gone over 10GB used. Probably not even 8.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
32GB today costs a little less than what I paid for 16GB around this time last year. Pretty much cheap.