Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I just bought a gtx 970. I didn't feel like waiting for what could be a very minimal upgrade in performance from the Pascal line. That and the reference boards that first release are worse and you want to wait a few months for the custom boards that come out a few months after that anyway adding more time to wait for an upgrade.

I probably fucked up, and for the same $300 I spent I could get a 1070 in a few months that'll beat the 980Ti in performance but oh well.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
True, but how often would you utilize that performance? I guess if you're throwing money it's fine, but I'd find PCI SSDs more useful for enterprise uses.
Oh I definitely agree with you. For $300 bucks I'm taking the tb ssd all day. I was just answering the speed question. I think if I was building a small itx type build where space was a premium, then I'd consider the m.2 drives.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I probably fucked up, and for the same $300 I spent I could get a 1070 in a few months that'll beat the 980Ti in performance but oh well.
Remains to be seen. Nvidia is of course talking big gains for Pascal, but if literally every other launch of a new line of GPUs is any indicator it'll be the same as it always is, a 20-30% performance gain over the last gen of similarly priced card and maybe some lower power consumption.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
More often than not, the incremental gains at a given price point are about 50-60%, not 20-30%... obviously there's some exceptions, but it when making such a dramatic die shrink (28 nm -> 16 nm), it's more likely on the higher side than the lower. Particularly since Maxwell was so much more emphasis on power efficiency than raw horsepower gains - AMD was lagging so hard on the performance department that they had the luxury to slow their progress a bit. If DX12 and a whole new architecture in Polaris restores the balance of power at all (or even gives a hint of it), the focus will return to raw horsepower from nVidia.

I think 1070 having 980 Ti performance is very doable - hell, even Maxwell did that (970 was maybe 2% less potent than 780 Ti).

Edit: I stand partially corrected. I decided to do some homework just for the sake of argument - and the average gains at a price point are around 30-40%, although it depends on the generation. Kepler was a monumentally huge jump (60-70%), Kepler refresh and Fermi were both turds (20%), and Maxwell was about 30%.

But at each point there were a ~700 single-GPU top end card, the following generation X70 matched it almost precisely in performance. Not a lot of data points, but interesting nonetheless.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Awesome, thanks for all the input guys, I will just wait. It's going to kill me to have an Oculus just sitting on my desk unusable, but whats another month or two? >_<

Crone

Got my new gtx 970 and power supply today. It's with grit teeth I will install it and hope I don't get fucked with Pascal! And enjoy the sweet sweet bliss of gaming on something more than medium settings!

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Got my new gtx 970 and power supply today. It's with grit teeth I will install it and hope I don't get fucked with Pascal! And enjoy the sweet sweet bliss of gaming on something more than medium settings!
Check to see if the manufacturer of your 970 offers an upgrade policy. I bought my EVGA 970 less than a month ago, and I have 90 days to upgrade to a newer card if one comes out in that time frame (I just pay the difference).

Crone

Check to see if the manufacturer of your 970 offers an upgrade policy. I bought my EVGA 970 less than a month ago, and I have 90 days to upgrade to a newer card if one comes out in that time frame (I just pay the difference).
Fuck evga is awesome! It's an msi card, which are pretty good, so I will see!

Edit: MSI doesn't do anything similar that I could find. Oh well. Still happy with my green ME edition 970!

Crone

Fuck evga is awesome! It's an msi card, which are pretty good, so I will see!

Edit: MSI doesn't do anything similar that I could find. Oh well. Still happy with my green ME edition 970!
Holy balls, how did I go so long without updating? New graphics are pure sex. No wonder PC is master race!!!!!!!!!!!!

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Sometimes you just gotta' bite the bullet. I got the 980ti a couple months ago and didn't look back. There will always be something better coming in the not too distant future.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I was gonna buy a 6700k anyways, don't see the big deal lol. Would've preferred an Asus board just because I really like them but this board is still good. I don't SLI cards but that's the one downfall I see with it.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Right? 6700k was over $400 itself for the first few months. It's a pretty solid steal. I have recently given up on SLI after reading about negative performance hits playing in windowed mode, etc. I just have a single 980Ti now and am pretty happy with it.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I switched from SLI 670s when the 980TI was released and won't go back to SLI again. It's kinda like 3D TV, not everyone wants to support it, other people just half ass the implementation, then you get 1-2 titles a year that fully utilize it.

Cathan

Silver Knight of the Realm
My roommate's got a budget of $1000 to spend on a new gaming rig. He's going to buy the peripherals separately so with $1000, what's the best rig you could build for gaming?

We're going over to Microcenter tomorrow to see what prebuilt machines they have.

Before he started talking to me he was looking at the Alienware ~$975 machine with an i5 but I was like dude... we can get you in an i7 with an SSD and much better components than what you'll get with Alienware.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Hit up pcpartpicker.com and just throw something together. We can tell you if it sucks.

I don't trust pre-built usually