Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Buying from jet.com gives you 30 days changed your mind return policy. I'll be well within my 30 days to do that by the time benchmarks start coming out and can make a decision then.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Appreciate all the help bros. I had no intentions of building a new PC, but my gaming laptop is going down the shitter again and I really don't want to solder a new DC jack onto it - said fuck it. Friday I basically just bought the mobo, cpu, ram and was gonna wait for some sweet deals but the addiction took hold, now I have purchased it all.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
I swapped my case from a TJ08-E to a SG10. Still rocking my z77 setup though. I even upgraded from an old H60 to a H80i and man that thing is loud as hell. I'm thinking about going back to a big CPU cooler to quiet down my rig. What is the best cooler out? I can have coolers as big as 165mm.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
The hard drive I normally keep my streaming media on is close to biting the dust (makes clicking noises sometimes, and it's running slow). What should I go with? WDinsert color here? Is an SSD worthwhile for speed, or is it bad due to rewrites?

I'd probably be fine with 1-2TB.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I swapped my case from a TJ08-E to a SG10. Still rocking my z77 setup though. I even upgraded from an old H60 to a H80i and man that thing is loud as hell. I'm thinking about going back to a big CPU cooler to quiet down my rig. What is the best cooler out? I can have coolers as big as 165mm.
I would be concerned that your H80i is "loud as hell," it should be super quiet. My H100i is nearly silent except under heavy load with the two 120mm fans on the radiator really kick in.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
The hard drive I normally keep my streaming media on is close to biting the dust (makes clicking noises sometimes, and it's running slow). What should I go with? WDinsert color here? Is an SSD worthwhile for speed, or is it bad due to rewrites?

I'd probably be fine with 1-2TB.
Goes something like this : WD Black > Red > Purple > Blue > Green. You really shouldn't buy Green.

edit : if you got money to spend, you can buy 1tb enterprise ssd's off ebay with 30+ Petabytes endurance for ~300$ each.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Aren't reds geared towards NAS and purple geared towards DVR/surveillance?

I would say get a black if you want the 'extra performance' it offers, otherwise blue is fine. Green is low power.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
I had a blue and a black at one point and the blue was faster than black, but black should be more reliable. I included purple / red because he said media drive and those are made to be written / written & read a lot.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I would be concerned that your H80i is "loud as hell," it should be super quiet. My H100i is nearly silent except under heavy load with the two 120mm fans on the radiator really kick in.
Agreed. Is it the pump itself that is loud, or just the fans spinning up under heavy load? The H80i only has a radiator big enough for 1 fan on each side, so they typically have to run at a higher RPM than the H100i which has room for 2 fans on each side, but regardless I found the fans that came with my H100i were pretty crappy, I bought some 3rd party fans that were much, much more quiet. Even something cheap and simple like this would be quieter than the included fansAmazon.com: Cooler Master SickleFlow 120 - Sleeve Bearing 120mm Blue LED Silent Fan for Computer Cases, CPU Coolers, and Radiators: Computers Accessories

And if you aren't already, I'd highly recommend using fans on both sides of the radiator, so they don't have to spin as fast, keeping the noise down

If it's the pump itself that is loud, you may want to look and see if there are any bios updates for the device. My H100i was loud as hell when it first launched, but shortly afterwords Corsair put out an update that made it quiet and it's been great ever since

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
my case had an extra case fan that my mobo can't power. I think it's 120 - can I just mount the bracket on that and toss it on the other side of my hyper 212 evo?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
my case had an extra case fan that my mobo can't power. I think it's 120 - can I just mount the bracket on that and toss it on the other side of my hyper 212 evo?
Yep, just make sure the 2 fans are both flowing the same way. One will pull air in, and the other blow air out. You don't want both pulling in, or both blowing out. Generally speaking, most fans blow out in the direction of the brand sticker, whichever side of the fan that is mounted on in the middle.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah the H80i v2 comes with 2 fans and they are flowing the same direction. The loudest part of my system is always the aio cooler though. I can control the fan speed with corsair link. May try that too. But I'll have to keep an eye on the temps and see.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Definitely check your temps, if the fans are running super fast/loud the actual heatsink portion may not be properly mounted to the cpu.

I have an h105 or something like that and it idles at like ~20-25c on a 6700k, so it should keep most cpus at 30c or less under no load. Highest I think I've ever seen my temps go was like 60-65c?

spronk

FPS noob
gtx 1080 officially announced, 2x the performance of Titan X (8 gflops) and and 3x energy efficiency
$599 MSRP available May 27th
$699 Founders Edition (overclockable)

gtx 1070 6.5 tflops 8GB $379
$449 founder
June 10th

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Watching the nVidia livestream - some info on Pascal release:

1080 - $599, faster than 980 SLI, on sale 5/27
1070 - $379, faster than Titan X, on sale 6/10

Edit: Guess Spronk beat me to it. So yeah, you guys buying 970s might want to wait/return them.

Also, I think all of them are overclockable, not just founders edition, but the founders edition is probably the one they're demoing that are running at 2.1 ghz during this demo. Of course you'll probably be able to get the same thing from the AIB guys for +$30 instead of +$100, but yeah.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Holy hell I'm returning my gtx 970 then! I knew I was gonna get fucked!

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Holy hell, if this is the small chip with only 1 8pin connector, can you imagine what the big pascal is gonna be like? AMD is TOAST if they don't come with it!