Desktop Computers

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
The PCIe cable will be a 6+2 and the CPU cable will be 4+4.

All about the various PC power supply cables and connectors

Notice that the PCIe connector has 2 square shaped pins side by side. They are not side by side on the CPU connector.

--------

Question for you, is there a slot for the index nub you shaved off on the power supply? My thought is that you possibly have that cable flipped backwards and that index would slide right into the supply itself.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

Notice that the PCIe connector has 2 square shaped pins side by side. They are not side by side on the CPU connector.

--------

Question for you, is there a slot for the index nub you shaved off on the power supply? My thought is that you possibly have that cable flipped backwards and that index would slide right into the supply itself.
No because the PS side has a clip that only fits in the PS, which is a single clip. If you would flip the cable around it would be a double clip, from the 4x4 conn each having 1/2 clip resulting in a fatter clip than the PS would support.

The thing that sucks is this PS did not come with any manual. It directed me to online manual which did not have shit for info other than plug this into that. No pictures.

I ask you this bros, does your 12V processor plug have a slot in the middle of the female end?

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

--------

So this is what mine looked like, except on the opposite side (of picture) it was joined with a clip and a standoff, that did not fit in the mo-bo slot. And the mo-bo did not have a slot for the stnad off.

rrr_img_135736.jpg

This is what my mo-bo looked like... Notice no slot opposite the side where the snap is.... Pic on left.

rrr_img_135737.jpg

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Right, the mobo did not have the slot, but is there a slot on the power supply itself?

Is this the Corsair unit you posted a couple pages back, or some other PSU? Would think that Corsair should have decent documentation.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Fuck man, the Corsair unit did not come with shit. Except some link to online docs. Yeah its the same unit I posted. Got it brand new today from Amazon. When I looked those up it was lilke no picts. All written shit like plug this into that.

And no the power supply, its a modular unit and it only fit one way. The other way did not fit because the snap clip was too wide (double what it needed to be).

BTW this is the first time I ever had problems with PS plugs. Fuck Corsair. I will never buy their shit again.

elcaro1101

Vyemm Raider
Looked on the corsair site, and their manual for their PSUs is pretty bad. No picture 6 page PDF, thanks Corsair...

I just watched some unboxing/install videos for that supply, and see what you mean on the supply side. The face plate on the PSU has notching that force you to put the cable in the correct way at that end.

The videos also only show there being a single CPU 4+4 cable in the kit. It is only going to go in one way, and is labeled CPU right? It shouldn't require any shaving to be plugged in, but with a single CPU cable and it only going one direction, seems like you only have one option?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
No im sure. The PS came with 2, 8 pin video card cables, PCI-E and an 8 pin ATX which was labeled as so. So im sure it was the right one. But Like I said the cable was 2x 4 pin that met in the middle with a little clip and a standoff, and the mo bo did not have the slot for the little standoff. But when I sliced that shit off, it went in like golden, I mean the PCIE did not even fit because of the config, so it had to be the one, so well see. Its hard to take a picture of the thing. And im not unplugging it, lol.
Modular cables right? I think you just plugged in the wrong end.

McShrimp

Molten Core Raider
I have 750W of the same PSU, and I had a similar issue. One of the cables has an end marked "CPU". Plug that one into the mobo.

Aevian

Silver Knight of the Realm
Looking to get a new monitor and wanted some suggestions. Have been rocking a cheap 1080p Asus but looking something to be decent for gaming. 1440p still the sweet spot? Looking for more budget/value than something really high performance. Would like something in 24-27inch range. Thanks in advance.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
So I installed the optical today, installed my old ass AMD 6850 until the new one comes. Powered it on and everything is good. Dont have the OS until tomorrow but from the bios screen all drives are recognized, and everything is running good. Thank god.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
God. The wait for Kaby Lake and the 1080 Ti is going to be aids. I've been itching to build a new system but with both Kaby Lake and the 1080 Ti both 6~ months out, I just don't see the point of getting a 1080 right now. Gawd damnit.

(For the record I'm fully aware there probably will be zero point in upgrading from Skylake to a Kaby Lake CPU but damnit I'm not the brightest bulb in the bunch).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Thinking the samething with my 4690k, will be about 2 1/2 years old by the time Kaby is availabe which should be when the 1080ti is released. Worse is I willreallyneed a new monitor by then. Current one will be 8+ years old then, fucking ancient.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The founders editions direct from Nvidia have benchmarked almost identical to a 980ti up to this point, so with even a modest factory OC it will likely pull ahead by ~5-10 frames yea. What a glorious golden age for the master race.

Fulorian

Golden Knight of the Realm
Bit the bullet and bought 2x non-reference 1070s. Probably going to regret it, but I want to get 4k locked at 60 fps, damnit!

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
Ok, my turn to ask on build advice.

Anyone have any recommendations on a good build for $500? Low-budget friend wants to do something stupid and go with a Dell with integrated graphics. And I know for what they want to do (some modern gaming), this is a bad idea. Plus you know, Dell.

I primarily only need a non awful case, cpu, motherboard and ram. I've got the OS and PSU covered and even video card if necessary (it's old, a 580gtx) but it's better than dell's option.

Is this fairly feasible? My googlefu is just failing this morning on a trustworthy CPU and I'm used to my own builds which are closer to $1200-1500

For comparison, the Dell they want which makes me cringe isNew Inspiron Small Desktop | Dell