Desktop Computers

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
will I have any issues with my processor with a 970?
I run an i5 3750k with a 970 and it's great. I even run 1440p and play most games on ultra settings with maybe 1 minor thing like shadows turned down a notch or two in order to stay up around 60fps consistently

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Here I was ready to disagree some with Noodleface until I saw this:Overwatch Benchmarked: Graphics CPU Performance Tested > Benchmarks: CPU Performance - TechSpot

I know the FPS is still PLENTY high, but scroll down to the overclock chart near the bottom. That was pretty eye opening for Overwatch CPU usage. o_O damn...
I run at the base clock on my 6700k (4.0GHz, was waiting for new GPU to overclock) and I see similar results to this (1070 vs 1080). My test wasn't using full teams, just me running around the firing range. When I played some real games I usually hovered around 210ish.

All blizzard games have been pretty cpu-reliant over gpu

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Seems like with the 1070 I get crazy FPS in overwatch (was around 250 last night or higher) but if my PC goes to sleep and I load the game back up it's cut in half (130 average).

Not sure if it's a memory leak or what. I also notice the GPU temp is way lower at this point.

No ideas yet. Restart fixes it.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
It's probably reverting to 2D video acceleration clocks. Check the nVidia 'Power management mode' under Manage 3D settings, see if it isn't set to Prefer maximum performance.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Can you also use PrecisionX to see what the core / memory speeds are before and after? Their graphs have been helpful in the past in troubleshooting.

Myst

Peasant
I had recently bought a Dell 27" IPS and I am really happy with the purchase. That said, id love to buy a second 27" for gaming purposes. I am looking for a 144hz gaming monitor for around 400-500$ CAD. Any suggestions? And is there a reason all the pro Overwatch players use 1080 instead of 1440?

Caliane

Bleh. didnt consider parts wouldn't come with sata cables. only one came. not even sure which item it came with. Motherboard I would think.

could scavenge from working pc.. but would leave me without till new on is up and running fully. :/

Edit:
hrm, I can make this work. need 6. did come with 2. Those two > boot drive+dvd for installation. Can then steal nonessential from old pc. Dvd drive, archive drive.
needing 2 more later.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
It's probably reverting to 2D video acceleration clocks. Check the nVidia 'Power management mode' under Manage 3D settings, see if it isn't set to Prefer maximum performance.
Optimal power right now, I'll check later when it's fucked up though.

Can you also use PrecisionX to see what the core / memory speeds are before and after? Their graphs have been helpful in the past in troubleshooting.
Good idea, next time it happens I'll check.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Word on the street is that Volta is due next May. Makes a little sense seeing as how god only knows when 10nm will be ready, pascal titan just announced 2 months after the 1080 and not even that had HBM.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Going to guess people replace graphics cards a lot more often than their SSDs.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Going to guess people replace graphics cards a lot more often than their SSDs.
Except the ones that bought them when the price/performance champs were like 64 gig or 120 gig, which many of us did. Its worth an upgrade to a 250gig or 500 gig for sure. The 120 gets a bit smallish over time.