Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Everyone here high speed, but think it's worth parting out my old computer to sell these 3 things (keeping or destroying HDD, mobo old, cpu old, elderly parents computers outside of the GPU/ram comparable) If not may keep as emergency computer or something.

GIGABYTE Radeon HD 7970 GHz Edition
CORSAIR CXM series CX500M 500W Power Supply
G.SKILL Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Figured maybe in order put on CL for $80/50/15
yea, just don't ever sell your HD

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
If you couldn't stomach the price of a 1440p, 144hz, GSync, IPS, 27" monitor ($660+ and lots of build quality issues) what would you sacrifice? Building a new computer and everything else seems like a relatively easy choice or straightforward tradeoff but I can't decide on what to do about a monitor. I definitely want a 1440p resolution, that's about all I'm sure of. Right now I'm leaning towards getting a TN panel instead of IPS but I'm just not sure.

I'd be using it for a variety of gaming and programming. Personally, I really don't notice much of a different between 1-2ms and 4-5ms, so that part of the TN panel isn't really a plus for me.

Last edited:

DickTrickle

Yeah, that's one I've been looking at. I need to see how much I think TN vs IPS matters. It's been a long time since I've seen an in person comparison and so I'm not sure how much the difference will mean to me. I do like my shit to look beautiful.

Also, I'm a little wary of G-Sync. AMD and Intel are now both supporting the open standard and I worry about having a monitor I'd want to keep for half a decade being tied to potential old or dying tech. I think it's inevitable that Nvidia will eventually support the standard but AMD will never support G-Sync.

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Yeah, that's one I've been looking at. I need to see how much I think TN vs IPS matters. It's been a long time since I've seen an in person comparison and so I'm not sure how much the difference will mean to me. I do like my shit to look beautiful.

Also, I'm a little wary of G-Sync. AMD and Intel are now both supporting the open standard and I worry about having a monitor I'd want to keep for half a decade being tied to potential old or dying tech. I think it's inevitable that Nvidia will eventually support the standard but AMD will never support G-Sync.

Straight on the difference isn't that bad if you have perfect posture and never veer out of the sweet spot. Otherwise, IPS it is.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>

Is there any risk there? G-Sync isn't a game level feature, it solely relies on the monitor and video card to support it. The 1080 series supports it and barring significant feature upgrades I imagine Nvidia would just carry over legacy support for the next two+ generations (not including actual time if G-Sync dies) and you'll be keeping your monitor.

Kind of walking through that thought process for my benefit as well, not picking on you. I can't see a significant risk though. Unless I'm wildly wrong on an assumption.

DickTrickle

Is there any risk there? G-Sync isn't a game level feature, it solely relies on the monitor and video card to support it. The 1080 series supports it and barring significant feature upgrades I imagine Nvidia would just carry over legacy support for the next two+ generations (not including actual time if G-Sync dies) and you'll be keeping your monitor.

Kind of walking through that thought process for my benefit as well, not picking on you. I can't see a significant risk though. Unless I'm wildly wrong on an assumption.

Well, the problem would be if you ever wanted to get an AMD card (that's assuming they couldn't write software to make the proprietary G-Sync part in the monitor to do the same for any video card). I'm not really worried about Nvidia stopping support, just the potential for me upgrading my PC later on and feeling like an card AMD has the right price/feature point but not getting it since I couldn't benefit from frame syncing.

If you don't think you'd ever want an AMD card, then I don't think it would be an issue.

DickTrickle

I bought this today, so I appreciate the link. Local stores had it much more expensive so this gave me the incentive to price match. Nice thing was when I got to Best Buy they had an open box one for even cheaper ($420). Given that it was open box I had them plug it in and turn it on so I could take a look at it and I was pretty happy with it so I bought it. Comparing it to my current 1080P IPS panels, I really have to say the difference is very minimal. Color quality is close and I only notice a tiny bit of gradient color shift. While an IPS panel might be nice I wasn't really looking forward to playing QC roulette that seems prevalent in the IPS versions of this kind of monitor and the extra $250+ would have been a lot to stomach. At this price point and knowing I've got a monitor that doesn't have any dead pixels, hot pixels, bleed, or anything else, I'm pretty happy with the choice.

The only negative is I didn't fully appreciate the scaling annoyances when moving to a higher resolution monitor. Steam, for example, does not support dpi scaling. Hopefully that will change over time. Fortunately browsing and my software development stuff looks good.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Hah, I've been buying Nvidia for so long the thought of buying AMD didn't even occur to me. Only factored in the prospect of them dropping G-Sync. That's pretty sad of me lol

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
I doubt they will drop G-Sync. Some form of adaptive sync is basically necessary for VR to function.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Anyway, yes, that Dell is a good fucking monitor. I've had one for like 10 months now, and I would easily rate it a 9 out 10. Is it perfect? No. But what it lacks in color it makes up for in super low latency, 0 ghosting of any kind, and a generally great build quality.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So I have had these two since 2010:

SAMSUNG TOC T260HD Rose Black 25.5" 5ms HDMI Widescreen HDTV Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 10000:1(1000:1) Build in TV Tuner & Dolby Digital Surround Sound-Newegg.com

CORSAIR TX Series CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Compatible with New 4th Gen CPU Certified Haswell Ready-Newegg.com

Over the next few months I play on buying a 1070 and a new monitor. But should I bother with the PSU? I haven't had a single issue but curious if I am reaching some kind of max life for one.

Probably do the 1070 first, hopefully good deals this upcoming week and then monitor later.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
If the PSU ain't broke, don't fix it. It is plenty strong for what you are planning on doing.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeah not reason not to and to step up to a gold.

I really need to upgrade my monitor. Thing is going to be 8 years old come January.