Desktop Computers

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
AMD might sell more chips if they actually had some higher end MATX and ITX motherboards. That shit is all low end slim pickings. I'm not building another mid/full tower system so it looks like I really only have one choice for higher end sff systems. Intel. Such a shame.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Got my 7700k stable at 5.0 Ghz after doing the delid process. RealBench 8 hour test (with 16 GB RAM) I'm averaging about 70° C. Running Playerunknown Battlegrounds I'm at about an average of 63° C. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Edit: For reference, I was getting 90-92 C at 4.9 Ghz pre-delid and it wasn't stable, at all.

Last edited:
  • 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Ok so bought a g502. It felt good in my hands and the buttons didn't seem to get in the way. This thing has crazy DPI which I do not need. What do most play overwatch on? I know that's highly subjective.
Dpi settings are irrelevant because of sensitivity controls. You want it so you do a 360 in 10 inches on your mousepad

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Got my 7700k stable at 5.0 Ghz after doing the delid process. RealBench 8 hour test (with 16 GB RAM) I'm averaging about 70° C. Running Playerunknown Battlegrounds I'm at about an average of 63° C. Feelsgoodman.jpg

Edit: For reference, I was getting 90-92 C at 4.9 Ghz pre-delid and it wasn't stable, at all.

Mine was delayed last weekend because I couldn't keep myself sober enough. Should be good to go tomorrow.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I was pretty blasted when I did mine. Probably helped me though because it helps steady my hands. Doing literal surgery work with essential tremor is not easy so, yeah, maybe I made the right choice?

The only thing I felt super uneasy about was the "re-lid" process. I thought the kit came with that but it didn't, which is fine, I didn't read the fine print. I ended up just setting the IHS as best I could back to its previous spot and then the CPU latch is holding it on. I must have done a good job because my results were fucking fantastic.

I can endorse Rockit Cool as making the delid process as idiot proof as possible.

Delid Kit $30
Relid Kit $8

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Thats a big improvement, but I dont think I could risk that shit. But afterall whats $300 anyway, just get another?

jeydax

Death and Taxes
I used to totally agree with that mkopec mkopec , which is why I'd never delidded anything in the past. I've owed every generation of Intel's microarchitecture from Nehalem all the way up to now at Kaby Lake. I was too paranoid. I'm not too sure exactly when these delid tools came out but my Skylake builds were "fast enough" for me that I didn't care to delid, and really the issue reared it's head at Ivy Bridge so there wasn't any point prior to that unless you were completely nuts about OC'ing.

Having said that, the best I can put it is that yes, of course there is risk in doing this, but in my opinion there is as much risk in delidding with these tools as there are in just putting the computer together in the first place. Bump a capacitor while assembling, forget to plug something in, whatever... you get my point. You're voiding you're warranty, yup, but I'm sure we all do other crap to computer parts to void their warranty as well.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that the actual delidding process is so easy with these things that I'd trust my wife to do it. The biggest risk after you take the screws out of the tool is and get the glue/stock thermal paste cleaned up and then you're putting your thermal paste/liquid metal (especially if using liquid metal) onto the die. In the case of Kaby Lake and the 7700k in particular, there is 3 (capacitors?) fairly close to the die... don't get your liquid metal on those things. Cover them with nail varnish or high quality electrical tape or they make these electronic protector pad things, if you don't trust yourself not to get shit onto those. Scraping the glue off was surprisingly very easy. If future CPU's require delidding and these tools are available, I'll do it. I think it is just as "stressful" as putting thermal paste on to the die is.

I hate to sound like a broken record but it really was idiot proof after watching a couple 2-3 youtube videos and an article or two.

Obligatory: There definitely is risk, don't come crying to me if you buy this stuff and break your processor for one reason or another.

Here is a photo of the capacitors (or whatever the fuck they are) on the CPU that I said were the biggest worry of mine while I was cleaning everything up:

BNTcM8U.jpg

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Dpi settings are irrelevant because of sensitivity controls. You want it so you do a 360 in 10 inches on your mousepad

Uhhh what. You want the DPI to be well matched to the software settings (ie sensitivity) so it tracks properly. IE if you just crank software sensitivity up it will 'jump' because it's not granular enough. Similarly if you run ultrawide monitors and your mouse isn't capable of high DPI you will be forced to crank the sensitivity which makes it stutter. That said most gaming mice well exceed necessary levels of precision, but the reason for DPI settings (rather than just really high and modify the software/windows settings once) is that so you can maintain static software settings and change the resolution of the sensor on the fly. This allows for precise motion while sniping/whatever in games.

Increasing the DPI setting is like going faster with your lawn mower. Increasing the sensitivity is like skipping 6" strips of grass to get the lawn done faster

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

Cant imagine that 12 core i9 will be cheap. Intels current 10c/20t chip is $1600.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I need that 7820k in my life.

Ryzen 1976X seems like it would be incredible too.

• 1Like

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I was pretty blasted when I did mine. Probably helped me though because it helps steady my hands. Doing literal surgery work with essential tremor is not easy so, yeah, maybe I made the right choice?

I feel you brother man. Thank God for propanolol & exercise. If not, alcohol helps.