Desktop Computers

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
If you picked the H77 motherboard, you can go back to the cheaper i5 and save 40-50$ and also you can get a cheaper case and save another 30-50$.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Guys, can anyone recommend what CPU/Chipset/Graphics card I should go for? My graphics card has just died and I'm thinking of putting together a new system.

Currently have an Athlon II x2 255 and a Geforce 8800 GTS 512mb. All I use the system for is watching HD content and the occasional game, it was connected to a 32" TV running at 1360*768 resolution and that spec was good enough to run most games. I hardly ever play any games anymore except for Dota 2. With a beefier system I would probably download the latest games but I don't imagine they'll ever hold my interest for longer than five minutes at a time - apathetic gamer is the best way to describe me.

I have just switched my TV's around so my PC is currently connected to a 42" which can output at 1920*1080p so a new system would have to be powerful enough to run games at 1080p.

I was thinking about getting this bundlehttp://www.novatech.co.uk/products/b...bb-83208a.htmlor this onehttp://www.novatech.co.uk/products/b...bb-43004a.htmlbut not sure what graphics card to go for. I don't want to spend more than ?500.

Or just getting something pre built off ebayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-FAST...item2c712b4171

Thoughts?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Whelp, this is it. Any last thoughts? Pretty nervous about this. Don't want to get everything only to find out I bought a wrong part or something. Lol.

- COOLER MASTER HAF series RC-912-KKN1 Black SECC/ ABS Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
- GIGABYTE GA-H77-DS3H LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- Intel Core i5-3350P Ivy Bridge 3.1GHz (3.3GHz Turbo) LGA 1155 69W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80637i53350P
- PNY VCGGTX660XPB GeForce GTX 660 2GB 192-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- Rosewill HIVE Series HIVE-550 550W Continuous @40?C, 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified, Modular Design, Single +12V Rail, ATX12V v2.31/EPS12V v2.92, SLI Ready, CrossFire Ready, Active-PFC Power Supply
- Western Digital WD Blue WD10EZEX 1TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM
- Microsoft Windows 8 64-bit (Full Version) - OEM
- SAMSUNG DVD Burner SATA Model SH-224DB/RSBS
- G.SKILL Value 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-1600C11D-8GNT

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, if you have a Microcenter near you, you could get a i5 3570K + motherboard for about the same price as the processor/motherboard in that build.

Also, be on the lookout for deals on AMD 7870s. There were a few posted in the last week in this thread of 3GB 7870s on sale for like $185 or so. I know thats about $50 more than the video card in your original build, but I think it's well worth the extra $50, even if you are on a tight budget. A 7870 is a huge upgrade over a 650. A 7870 is on par with a Geforce 660, probably right in-between the 660 and 660Ti. If you ever wanted to upgrade down the road, you could crossfire 2 7870s together and get performance on par with a Geforce 780 for less than half the price.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I don't have a microcenter near by unfortunately. This is the best I can come up with in a day at the moment.

Feel free to offer some suggestions, though. I'm not confident in this subject now days.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Well I forgot to mention a SSD. Even a 60gb one will do wonders for ~50$ (but you should really try to get the 128gb version). The new Samsung 840 EVO series are pretty beast for their price.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Honestly I was trying not to go over $700 or so.

I think at this point, after rebates it's like $800. A SSD would put me way over. I mean, I could always add one in a year or so.

If you have a better suggestion for a motherboard/ram/video card combo for the same price, I'm all ears, though. Trying to get everything at Newegg.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Honestly I was trying not to go over $700 or so.

I think at this point, after rebates it's like $800. A SSD would put me way over. I mean, I could always add one in a year or so.

If you have a better suggestion for a motherboard/ram/video card combo for the same price, I'm all ears, though. Trying to get everything at Newegg.
I built a new system last month for about $750, although I was able to buy a mobo/proc combo from Microcenter and reuse an old case which saved me like $150 total.

Anyway, other than those I bought everything from newegg and the video card I went with was:http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814202025

It's running everything I throw at it like a beast and no problems so far. It's an even better deal now because when I bought it no games were included.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Guys, can anyone recommend what CPU/Chipset/Graphics card I should go for?

I was thinking about getting this bundlehttp://www.novatech.co.uk/products/b...bb-83208a.htmlor this onehttp://www.novatech.co.uk/products/b...bb-43004a.htmlbut not sure what graphics card to go for. I don't want to spend more than ?500.

Or just getting something pre built off ebayhttp://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUPER-FAST...item2c712b4171

Thoughts?
If you are seriously not going to do hardly any gaming at all, just snag that one off of Ebay, it already has a small HD and video card in it that is definitely fine for playing 1080p video. Those barebones novatech systems are fine as well, but I feel like you are overpaying on those, especially with no video card or storage in them. The 750W power supply in those is WAY overkill for what you are going to be doing, that may be raising the price of those barebones systems.

If you think you might change your mind about the gaming, buy the Novatech barebones that has the AMD FX-8 8320 processor, that is by far the best processor out of the 3 systems that you mentioned. Regardless, I think those Novatech ones are a bit overpriced compared to the one you linked on Ebay that already has a hard drive and video card in it. That one is probably the way to go, assuming there isn't drastic price differences in shipping or some other factor that would affect I'm not seeing.

edit - the more I think about it, stay away from those Novatech systems. You'd still have to buy a hard drive + operating system + video card to get them functional. At that point, you might as well just build your own system from scratch, which would either net you better parts for an equal price, or the same parts for a much cheaper price. All those barebones systems are doing is saving you about 30-45 minutes of effort in screwing down the motherboard and snapping in the RAM/CPU.

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Well, I hate to be that guy but do you really have to get a Windows license right now ? You can use it legally for like 120 days and that's a lot time to find the money to buy a license or ...

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I don't think I've paid full price for a version of Windows since Windows 3.1. Anyone who is a student, or even works for a school/university can get cheap Microsoft products, and everyone knows somebody that is either in school, or works at a school(or at least has access to a .edu email address). I think I got my copy of win 7 Ultimate for like $25 back when it released through a friend that works IT for a local university.

Edit - after looking at Microsofts website, it looks like educational pricing is only available in the US and Canada :/

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
If you are seriously not going to do hardly any gaming at all, just snag that one off of Ebay, it already has a small HD and video card in it that is definitely fine for playing 1080p video. Those barebones novatech systems are fine as well, but I feel like you are overpaying on those, especially with no video card or storage in them. The 750W power supply in those is WAY overkill for what you are going to be doing, that may be raising the price of those barebones systems.

If you think you might change your mind about the gaming, buy the Novatech barebones that has the AMD FX-8 8320 processor, that is by far the best processor out of the 3 systems that you mentioned. Regardless, I think those Novatech ones are a bit overpriced compared to the one you linked on Ebay that already has a hard drive and video card in it. That one is probably the way to go, assuming there isn't drastic price differences in shipping or some other factor that would affect I'm not seeing.

edit - the more I think about it, stay away from those Novatech systems. You'd still have to buy a hard drive + operating system + video card to get them functional. At that point, you might as well just build your own system from scratch, which would either net you better parts for an equal price, or the same parts for a much cheaper price. All those barebones systems are doing is saving you about 30-45 minutes of effort in screwing down the motherboard and snapping in the RAM/CPU.
Cheers for the advice.

I'd be taking out 2 HD's (5.5tb) from my current system and putting them in the new one if that makes any difference

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd still probably go with that Ebay one, you're getting a ~$100 video card + 1TB hard drive + operating system, and it's actually the same price or cheaper than the others, with the rest of the hardware being pretty comparable. If nothing else, get it for the basically free video card(compared to the other systems), and save the money you would have spent on a video card and hold on to it for a future video card upgrade. Even if you only do a tiny bit of gaming, you'll probably need a video card upgrade in a year or two anyways.

Couloir_sl

shitlord
A friend of mine in IT put these parts together for me, figured why not throw it out there and see what people think:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Couloir/saved/2hp5

That's about as much as I care to spend on a new setup right now. Haven't looked into monitors yet, suggestions below $300 are welcome, and all other questions/comments/concerns are appreciated.

Thanks a lot

Fadaar

That guy

brekk

Dancing Dino Superstar
<Bronze Donator>
A friend of mine in IT put these parts together for me, figured why not throw it out there and see what people think:

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Couloir/saved/2hp5

That's about as much as I care to spend on a new setup right now. Haven't looked into monitors yet, suggestions below $300 are welcome, and all other questions/comments/concerns are appreciated.

Thanks a lot
AMD is bad. The ram is overpriced, and you don'y need 16gb. The power supply is garbage. For the price of that case I'd get an Antec 300 V2. And that SSD is mediocre at best, you can get Samsung 830/840's with 120gb for that price on sale.

Here you go. If you want spend some more on the mobo. This is a solid build with future potential by upgrading to 16gb of ram, and upgrading the graphics.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xRax

Note: I only chose that CPU due to combo with the SSD.

It's also all from Newegg so instead of tons of seperate orders you can buy it all at once. You're Welcome.
smile.png

Denaut

Trump's Staff
AMD is bad. The ram is overpriced, and you don'y need 16gb. The power supply is garbage. For the price of that case I'd get an Antec 300 V2. And that SSD is mediocre at best, you can get Samsung 830/840's with 120gb for that price on sale.

Here you go. If you want spend some more on the mobo. This is a solid build with future potential by upgrading to 16gb of ram, and upgrading the graphics.
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1xRax

Note: I only chose that CPU due to combo with the SSD.

It's also all from Newegg so instead of tons of seperate orders you can buy it all at once. You're Welcome.
smile.png
That is the CPU I just picked up, if you aren't going to overclock it is the way to go. Also, the Samsung 840 EVO is only $10 more but has twice the write speed of its normal 840 counterparts.

Samsung EVO if you are getting an SSD, there is absolutely no other option anyone with a budget should go with at this point.