Desktop Computers

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Welp, went the lazy route and got an Origin PC when I looked around and saw it was only about $150 more after taxes (shipping was free) than building myself. Hopefully it isn't a piece of shit!

Corsair Carbide 175R case
Intel Core i9 9900K 8-Core 3.6GHz (5.0GHz TurboBoost)
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming
16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3000MHz (2x8GB)
ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System
NVIDIA 8GB GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER FOUNDERS EDITION
2TB NVMe SSD
CORSAIR 750X RMX SERIES PLUS GOLD

Parts seem quality enough. Only thing that is a wait-and-see is the overall quality of the build (cable management, etc) and quality of their own shit like the liquid cooling system and the SSD.

Will take a couple weeks to get it. Gonna go with a Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ 27" to replace my old primary monitor as well.
Looks solid.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Welp, went the lazy route and got an Origin PC when I looked around and saw it was only about $150 more after taxes (shipping was free) than building myself. Hopefully it isn't a piece of shit!

Corsair Carbide 175R case
Intel Core i9 9900K 8-Core 3.6GHz (5.0GHz TurboBoost)
ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E Gaming
16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 3000MHz (2x8GB)
ORIGIN FROSTBYTE 120 Sealed Liquid Cooling System
NVIDIA 8GB GEFORCE RTX 2070 SUPER FOUNDERS EDITION
2TB NVMe SSD
CORSAIR 750X RMX SERIES PLUS GOLD

Parts seem quality enough. Only thing that is a wait-and-see is the overall quality of the build (cable management, etc) and quality of their own shit like the liquid cooling system and the SSD.

Will take a couple weeks to get it. Gonna go with a Asus ROG Swift PG279QZ 27" to replace my old primary monitor as well.
IMO no reason to get a 9900k if youre just going to get a 2700 super.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yea, I'd say there are a few little quirks about that system that I would try and fix.

As mentioned the processor is a little overboard, IMO, but I guess future proofing is a thing. I don't like the 3000 speed RAM. 3200 at least, but maybe you can over clock it. I would have saved money on the SSD, and gone with 1TB or even smaller. Hard drives are extremely easy to replace, or get more of, and so spending the extra money now just to get 2TB seems silly to me. But I'm a cheap ass.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
OK going to go pick this up today. All from Microcenter nearby for $1,450.47
1572099120232.png

My single pause is:
" SRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it."

Not going to overclock much if at all so I shouldn't need a different power supply right?

Fucker

Log Wizard
OK going to go pick this up today. All from Microcenter nearby for $1,450.47
View attachment 228258
My single pause is:
" SRock X570 Taichi ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the SeaSonic FOCUS Plus Gold 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it."

Not going to overclock much if at all so I shouldn't need a different power supply right?

I have no idea, but there's no way I'd push my luck. I'd find a PSU with the cables you need.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Does the motherboard have features you need? While that is supposed to be a great motherboard, if you aren't going to overclock unless it has features you need you can't find on cheaper boards you can probably get away with something cheaper.

• 1Like

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Does the motherboard have features you need? While that is supposed to be a great motherboard, if you aren't going to overclock unless it has features you need you can't find on cheaper boards you can probably get away with something cheaper.
I will OC and see how it goes but went with the Taichi because it handles power better than anything cheaper so less heat, longer lasting everything.

Fucker

Log Wizard

It does have Intel networking gear, which is worth a lot in my book. My big concern about the X570 chipset are those annoying little fans that come on them.

ver_21

Molten Core Raider
The new AMD 1.0.0.4 BIOSes are allowing BIOS-level per-ccx overclock for Ryzen 3000s..not sure how to tinker with it just yet, but it's pretty cool.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I will OC and see how it goes but went with the Taichi because it handles power better than anything cheaper so less heat, longer lasting everything.
youre paying a prem for the pci4 and the enhanced voltage regulators (which work along w/ the extra power), it's an OC'ers board, if thats what you want to do.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
My single pause is:

The extra pins DO NOT MATTER, the eight pins covers 384 watts and the board+cpu can't use half of that before shorting out.
Here's a video that goes ad nausea about it

Last edited:

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>

Some interesting new game settings available with the latest drivers.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
The answer is... don't buy Intel.

Totally wrong. If you do nothing but game, lb per lb Intel still has AMD beaten. Its only wen you add in streaming and other productivity shit where multi core performance comes into play AMD takes the lead.

I would stake my i5 9600K 6 core that I have @ 5ghz over any of your 30 core AMD chips in pure game performance.

On top of this Intel is just easier. Plug and play. AMD is still janky as fuck. With Intel I didnt have to fuck around looking for new AMD 3 compatible boards, I did not have to flash my motherboard to latest, I did not have to buy expensive ass xt3900 ram or whatever the fuck. I plugged it all in and it just worked. Something that AMD still has to get right so people are not fucking around to make their shit work.

BTW the x3700 system I built for my kid is still runnig great, but there is still something fucked with how hot that chip gets. I looked that shit up to and im not the only one experiencing those problems with heat and AMD x3700

Last edited: