Desktop Computers

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was just looking at the 3700 actually since it popped up on sale (was originally thinking about the 3800), but I don't think I need to spend an extra $60 for miniscule increase in speed unless there is something I'm missing.

Might be able to say the same thing about the 3600 to 3700 increase as well, that's only a $30 difference now.

1606141457837.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
I was just looking at the 3700 actually since it popped up on sale (was originally thinking about the 3800), but I don't think I need to spend an extra $60 for miniscule increase in speed unless there is something I'm missing.

Might be able to say the same thing about the 3600 to 3700 increase as well, that's only a $30 difference now.

View attachment 319377
I would do a 3700 over 3600 for better stock fan. I am using the prism it came with but bought my own thermal and it runs 4400mhz just fine at around 60C in a 72 degree room. Haven't OC'd it using the game boost shit because why? I only got the 3800X initially because it was only $30 over the 3700X because it was on a mad sale deal. Back then it was usually 360-380. Plus the 3700X is a Ryzen 7 where 3600 is a Ryzen 5. Racing stripes!

Oldbased

> Than U
It was the whole point of buying AMD. If I wasn't going to use stock fan then I would have at the time gone intel.
Plus the heatpipe was decent. Too much money for a few C when I wasn't going to OC it anyways and air cool it.
But the REAL reason I did it was so I could shout out to noobs when I rekt them that I was on stock cooler no OC.
Get rolled fatkids!

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It was the whole point of buying AMD. If I wasn't going to use stock fan then I would have at the time gone intel.
Plus the heatpipe was decent. Too much money for a few C when I wasn't going to OC it anyways and air cool it.
But the REAL reason I did it was so I could shout out to noobs when I rekt them that I was on stock cooler no OC.
Get rolled fatkids!

Buying AMD solely for the stock cooler is a new one on me. There are plenty better, inexpensive coolers out there.

You do you though.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Buying AMD solely for the stock cooler is a new one on me. There are plenty better, inexpensive coolers out there.

You do you though.
AMD fan is designed with harmonics that increase the switching speed of transistors. Fans with misaligned harmonics can slow the transistors by 8%.

grwf.jpg

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Oldbased

> Than U

You do you though.
At the time last year there wasn't much to go on. No one knew where Intel was going and the 3800s hadn't been out all that long. I had a clear budget for MB, CPU and heatsink for $500, $240 for ram, $200 for storage, $150 psu and 450 video, 100case/dvd and 400 monitor. I hit all the marks on the nose for spending. So ya saving $40-90 was a big part of it. The inexpensive coolers were only 1-2c better than the prism. I spent days back then comparing heatsink reviews and determined I would go extra to get the 3800x for 5% gain instead of a 3700x and a better heatsink. My reasoning was I could always upgrade heatsink later if need be but I gamed in summer 12+ hours system pulling 455 watts through the APC cooking my room and it never got over 64C at max stock clock 4400mhz. It doesn't come near throttling there, so why buy one.

Budget was $3k I spent $3250 all told but paid off cash/debit so there is that.
$200 mouse/KB
$100 mic/boom
$500 chair
$200 pure sine apc
some extra case fans, cables windows 10 cheap key and a 2nd 27" curved 1080 monitor.

I hadn't even looked since new bios last week. Seems between it and new amd drivers it was kicked up a notch.
1606204892118.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Running a 4 year old system right now I got from CyberPowerPC on Cyber Monday for about $850 after rebates:

- GTX1060 6GB
- Intel Core-I5 6600k 3.5GHZ
- 16GB 2133MHZ RAM
- water cooled, RGB lighting, came with Razer mouse, RGB mechanical keyboard, headset, and gaming mouse pad

Just me or is this a shitty time to buy? I cannot find anywhere near that bang for buck. Sucks because want to upgrade now for Cyberpunk. :(

Last edited:

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just me or is this a shitty time to buy? I cannot find anywhere near that bang for buck. Sucks because want to upgrade now for Cyberpunk. :(
They want you to spend $1500+ on prebuilts these days. Overpriced graphics cards being the majority of that jump.

turbo

Molten Core Raider
Man so many different options and at this point I have alot more important things to do then research all this shit. Anyone with a firm understanding of current hardware want to make a quick $40 (paypal or venmo) to spec something out to get me a really solid gaming computer + streaming on 2nd monitor machine (FFXIV, Smite, LOL etc for games). Would prefer using Ipower as they have been great to deal with for any support issues etc i've had on the last 3 but if there is any smoking black friday deals else where would be fine deviating.

Probably $1500 budget, can go to $2k if absolutely necessary. PM if interested with any relevant creds and initial additional info you need from me to make it rain. Don't need monitors/KB/mouse.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
this live stream has been going on for 4 days and i guess its a bot that checks zen3 chips for stock and it'll make a noise if it finds it...

what?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do I need a gold rated power supply vs bronze? If I don't need the wattage and I don't care if its semi vs fully modular?

Looking at this one: CORSAIR CX-M Series CX550M 550W Modular Power Supply - Newegg.com

vs

this one, for example:

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Do I need a gold rated power supply vs bronze?
Id go with a gold unless its significantly more expensive. More efficient power supply means cooler running and less wasted power which means less wasted money. Ive used my current evga psu for 6 years now so so spending the few extra bucks on the gold has more than made up for it.

I don't care if its semi vs fully modular?
Id go modular. Just makes putting everything together that much easier and tiddy looking when done.

• 2Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Some nerds posted somewhere on the forums here a link to some site that showed whether it is better to use two of four RAM slots for every type of motherboard, but I can't find it. As I'm about to buy an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi board, I'd like to know if I should buy two or four sticks of RAM for it. Anyone know where to find the link?

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
GamersNexus / 4 sticks vs 2 sticks / Ranks

Steve covered using 4 sticks vs 2 sticks and noticed 10% uplift in performance.

The reason for this is that he's using 4 sticks of single rank, vs 2 sticks of single rank. When using 4 ranks, it allows the memory cycle to start before finishing a previous cycle. It's been talked about here on Reddit before that dual rank outperforms single rank at the same frequencies and Cas Latency.

One thing to consider, is the topology of the mother board. Most X570 and X470 boards are **Daisy Chain**. Because A2 and B2 are jumping off A1 and B1 respectively in this setup, 4 sticks can create stability headaches and impact overclocking. You **WILL** still see a performance uplift on daisy chain when using 4 sticks single rank, however it is a more suitable topology for dual rank at the same speeds.
In **T-Toplogy** boards, the traces split and go to all 4 slots evenly making it ideal for running 4 sticks single rank for stability and overclocking.

So summary: Do your research on your motherboard.
**Daisy Chain**? Run two sticks Dual Rank.
**T-Topology**? Run four sticks Single Rank.

\*\*EDIT:\*\*Find your motherboard on this spreadsheet, the topology is listed
[
GamersNexus video Link:
[

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Some nerds posted somewhere on the forums here a link to some site that showed whether it is better to use two of four RAM slots for every type of motherboard, but I can't find it. As I'm about to buy an ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus WiFi board, I'd like to know if I should buy two or four sticks of RAM for it. Anyone know where to find the link?

See above

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Thanks! Amazing the nerdieness you can get into. I was heavily into this shit in my teens in the 90s. I sometimes wish I had kept up with it lol.

• 1Like

Threelions

Victory Through Harmony
<Gold Donor>
Thanks! Amazing the nerdieness you can get into. I was heavily into this shit in my teens in the 90s. I sometimes wish I had kept up with it lol.

I appreciate everyone else’s hard work,
I don’t know motherboard topography from a hole in the ground, but if you tell me two sticks will give me 10-15% performance increase, well I’m on it. Returned my 4 sticks for 2 just recently based on this info. Seems like most boards benefit from 2 instead of 4 also based on the spreadsheet.