Desktop Computers

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Shuit not even 2 yrs, last year I upgraded my kids PC with a brand new MSI board and it did not connect to net until I installed the LAN drivers from the DVD which it came with.

Fresh clean install via USB. No drivers. Couldn't use the 10Gbps port on the MB, but, I could use the LAN port which worked just fine without drivers. Able to install every driver after.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Fresh clean install via USB. No drivers. Couldn't use the 10Gbps port on the MB, but, I could use the LAN port which worked just fine without drivers. Able to install every driver after.
i mean if you guys are weirdly desperate, you could also download drivers from onto your phone and hook it up usb, windows should see it as a drive, even an iphone i think.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
What are you using to install windows and the version? I haven't had to load a mb driver out of the box in at least 3 years probable longer

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What are you using to install windows and the version? I haven't had to load a mb driver out of the box in at least 3 years probable longer

Maybe thats my problem I have a win 10 CD ive been using since it came out, lol.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
It's been at least 10, maybe 15 years since the generic windows LAN drivers weren't enough to at least get me online.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
just goto the mb website after you plug everything in, win 7+, support all onboard nics

hell i don't believe the gigabyte or msi boards i got even came w/ a dvd lulz, just go online.

Eh high end rig with below budget tier ram :/

The ram and that evo are out of place.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
So ive been behind the times with the whole usb and no optical drive thing. And im wondering how the fuck do you guys install all the motherboard drivers without a dvd drive? Last time I bought one it did not come with a USB stick with that shit on it.

Also why are you guys using B550 boards instead of the newer X570 which have better and faster PCI lanes (4.0)?
Windows 10 generic drivers are enough to launch into windows and get online to download the latest drivers from AMD.

B550 has fewer PCIe 3.0X lanes, enough to run 1 graphics card at 3.0 16x and 1 nvme ssd at full 3.0 speed. If you need more 3.0 lanes for something, then yes, by all means go with X570, but for the vast majority of people, it's got everything you actually need.

Last edited:

Fucker

Log Wizard
So ive been behind the times with the whole usb and no optical drive thing. And im wondering how the fuck do you guys install all the motherboard drivers without a dvd drive? Last time I bought one it did not come with a USB stick with that shit on it.

Also why are you guys using B550 boards instead of the newer X570 which have better and faster PCI lanes (4.0)?
There's no point to a B550. It doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes to handle an NVME and like 2 SATA ports. X570 can handle having all the NVME and SATA ports plugged in. It doesn't sound like an issue until you want to add a SATA drive and then nothing for you! There is no real cost delta between B550 and X570. Also, the X570 is an AMD chip. The B450/550 is designed by a different company. I haven't had a single issue since I got this X570 board. It is as stable as anything Intel has ever made, even on the *gasp* software side.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There's no point to a B550. It doesn't have enough PCI-E lanes to handle an NVME and like 2 SATA ports. X570 can handle having all the NVME and SATA ports plugged in. It doesn't sound like an issue until you want to add a SATA drive and then nothing for you! There is no real cost delta between B550 and X570. Also, the X570 is an AMD chip. The B450/550 is designed by a different company. I haven't had a single issue since I got this X570 board. It is as stable as anything Intel has ever made, even on the *gasp* software side.

Yeah just 10 min of some search led me to this. I was just wondering about all the builds people post on here most have the B550 boards in them which kind of boggled me so I asked.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
You're way off there Fucker Fucker a B550 can handle a 4x nvme drive, a 16x gen 4 graphics card, and 4x sata drives + gen 3 nvme or 2 more sata (via chipset not the pcie lanes).

07075505323l.jpg

If you want a ton of drives or some add on cards go x570, otherwise B550 really is good for most people.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah but they are like the same price, so why would you opt for a 3.0 pcie vs a 4.0 pcie? I could see if there was like a $100 diff or something. Or those that alrady have an AMD build with old proc and they are just upgrading to a newer Ryzen.

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Yeah but they are like the same price, so why would you opt for a 3.0 pcie vs a 4.0 pcie? I could see if there was like a $100 diff or something. Or those that alrady have an AMD build with old proc and they are just upgrading to a newer Ryzen.
The gen 3 nvme drive on a b550 via the chipset is in addition to a gen 4 nvme drive. Many budget x570s only support 1 gen 4 nvme drive anyways. If you're looking at the same price and thinking the higher end chipset is coming in without cuts elsewhere you're likely mistaken.

Fucker

Log Wizard
You're way off there Fucker Fucker a B550 can handle a 4x nvme drive, a 16x gen 4 graphics card, and 4x sata drives + gen 3 nvme or 2 more sata (via chipset not the pcie lanes).

View attachment 333672

If you want a ton of drives or some add on cards go x570, otherwise B550 really is good for most people.

Dude, you didn't even look at the picture you posted.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yeah just 10 min of some search led me to this. I was just wondering about all the builds people post on here most have the B550 boards in them which kind of boggled me so I asked.

I understand if it is an availabiliity issue. No PC vs a B550 based unit.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Same here. This is my first AMD chip PC with X570 and it has been no problems so far. I didn’t have problems with my last intel PC either, just saying haven’t had any problems with the change. It’s ~8 months old now.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Eh high end rig with below budget tier ram :/

The ram and that evo are out of place.

Hah. The Evo was my brother's and was originally the OS. I just decided to keep it in tower but formatted it as an additional drive. The RAM - I don't really use the computer as much as I used to. I may down the line get 128GB of at least 3000Mhz.