Desktop Computers

Fiyero_sl

shitlord
So I'm looking to do some upgrades. Been reading through here to see if I can find some ideas.

I have:

Intel Quad Core 2 q9550 2.83 mhz
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
4mb ram (only have 32 bit Windows 7)

I'm looking to upgrade the cpu/mobo, because mine is clearly out of date. Leaning to the i5 4670K since I heard the i7 isn't worth the price for difference for gaming, correct? I bought my GPU last year, so really can't spend the money to upgrade that again right now.

I also want to get a Solid State Drive since my computer loads really slow. I'm leaning towards the Samsungs. Any suggestions on what to go with? The 850 Pro is $150 for a 256 gb, $250 for 512gb. Would 256gb be sufficient for Windows and some games? Is there a big difference between Evo and Pro?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I'm looking to do some upgrades. Been reading through here to see if I can find some ideas.

I have:

Intel Quad Core 2 q9550 2.83 mhz
Nvidia GTX 660 Ti
4mb ram (only have 32 bit Windows 7)

I'm looking to upgrade the cpu/mobo, because mine is clearly out of date. Leaning to the i5 4670K since I heard the i7 isn't worth the price for difference for gaming, correct? I bought my GPU last year, so really can't spend the money to upgrade that again right now.

I also want to get a Solid State Drive since my computer loads really slow. I'm leaning towards the Samsungs. Any suggestions on what to go with? The 850 Pro is $150 for a 256 gb, $250 for 512gb. Would 256gb be sufficient for Windows and some games? Is there a big difference between Evo and Pro?
Sounds like you are on a pretty tight budget, and so I would go with the Samsung EVO SSD, and then spend the saved money on 64 bit Windows 8.1 key.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Agree with Crone, Samsung 850 Evos are probably the best bang for your buck in the SSD world right now. a 250GB 850 Evo is consistently around $100 online.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
That's huge. If someone builds a PC within a year of Windows 10 releasing, they basically don't need to purchase an OS. Pirate 8, get free legit 10.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
LOL, there has to be a catch there somewhere. I cannot see Microsoft just giving away free copies of anything. What gives?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Well, I have a feeling that with Windows 10 and going forward, versions of windows are going to basically have online, always-on DRM to check for piracy. If you want to pirate a copy of Windows 10, 11, and beyond, you'll have to keep your computer offline to do so. Once they get everyone set on Windows 10, customers will have to pay to upgrade from that point on, piracy may get a whole lot more difficult. There probably won't be any offline/manual registration anymore, like you still can do with older versions of Windows to get pirated copies to work properly.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
What's actually going on is that they want their app store on as many computers as possible.

Windows 10 is supposed to be the 'last' version of Windows like OSX, though I doubt it lasts more than 4-5 years.

Wuwei_sl

shitlord
What's actually going on is that they want their app store on as many computers as possible.
This. Microsoft is building their platform to compete with Apple and Google. Plus, what's the cost of giving a free copy, with future potenial sales, to existing pirates? It shouldn't alienate customers with legit versions as they too get win10 for 'free'.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
So this somewhat vague statement is in that short article:
It?s pretty efficient, too, getting 28 teraflops out of 1,300 watts
I have to assume that performance is achieved by linking multiple(4+) cards together? Surely a single card isn't going to take a massive leap forward and use 1300w of power at peak performance, that would be nuts, but the article doesn't really give any specifics there.

Also the "10x faster" is very misleading. The actual Nvidia press release states "NVIDIA?s Pascal GPU architecture, set to debut next year, will accelerate deep learning applications 10X beyond the speed of its current-generation Maxwell processors". So 10x "deep learning" performance increase, not graphic processing.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
My monitor died about 2 days ago which totally sucks timing wise since I just replaced my PC.

I was planning to replace the monitor anyway, it was about 6-8 years old. I was waiting for the new Acer IPS 144Hz with G-Sync and a month or two to let finances get back to normal after the PC.

I ordered an Asus PG278Q, 144Hz, G-Sync...and it just arrived.
smile.png

All in all, fucking expensive 2 weeks for my PC gaming, but I'm set for a while now.
smile.png

I should be posting again in this thread in 4 years or so.
smile.png

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It'll be like those cheap licenses they sell to system builders, non transferable, no support, no warranty.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I currently have 32GB of G.skill Ripjaw 1866 DDR3, and it's been great for 2+ years. That being said, both brands are solid, I'd probably just go with whichever is cheaper, all other things being equal(timings, etc)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The best option can sometimes be to skimp on both and just replace your PC sooner. :p