Desktop Computers

Sir Funk

Lord Nagafen Raider
What's the current state of ultrawide monitors? I'm thinking of replacing my dual monitors with a single ultrawide at ~32-34".

Hoping to get something @ 144 hz. Anything coming down the pipeline that is worth waiting for or is there a clear front-runner out there today?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I'd still be hard pressed to recommend that for your average user/gamer. The prices haven't been formally released yet for all size variants, but the 1TB model is selling for about $520 USD. A 1TB 850 Evo is $350. And yeah, I know its 3-4x faster in theory, but how much of that is really noticeable when gaming load times are already in the 1-2 second range with an 850 Evo? I mean, maybe your PC boots up in 3 seconds instead of 10 seconds and your favorite game loads in 1 second instead of 2. Is that worth the extra money? I don't know that it is for most people.

If someone is already ponying up for SLI'd 1080s or whatever, then money is obviously no object and its a no-brainer choice, but for the typical build (i5, 16gb ram, $300-$400 video card, etc) the Evo makes more sense at it's price/performance point.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
Made some drastic changes

PCPartPicker part list:Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming, C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker
Price breakdown by merchant:Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming, C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - Price Breakdown By Merchant - PCPartPicker

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($238.99 @ SuperBiiz)

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3 67.8 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing CPU Cooler

Motherboard: MSI Z170A GAMING M5 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($64.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($154.84 @ Amazon)

Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($119.88 @ OutletPC)

Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card ($419.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Case: Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($16.88 @ OutletPC)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($83.89 @ OutletPC)

Software: Microsoft Office Home and Student 2016 Software ($121.99 @ Amazon)

Total: $1611.42

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I would get 2800 mhz memory.

That's where it tops out before you have to go up past 1.2 volts. And it doesn't really cost any more.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
you can pickup microsoft licenses dirt cheap on reddit. easily save $100+ just on that.

and I still say ditch the optical drive and go with a Define S for the case instead of C70, save another $45

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
you can pickup microsoft licenses dirt cheap on reddit. easily save $100+ just on that.

and I still say ditch the optical drive and go with a Define S for the case instead of C70, save another $45
Do they have cheap Office licenses there, or just Windows? Or are Office licenses a thing of the past now that it went to a subscription-based service? I'm going to need one for my business soon, and kind of want to do it as legitimately as possible(no torrent) without breaking the bank.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
joeboo, I can send you my install config for Office 2016 Pro Plus. Basically you get the ISO for the setup installer directly from Microsofts website, mount it, then modify the configuration file with the correct drive letter (ie: H, F, E whatever). Then run a command prompt from the folder the configuration/setup file is in and you have to type something in, I can't remember exactly off of the top of my head but can post it later. I found it on the MyDigitalLife forums.

I have my configuration file set to only install Word, Powerpoint, and Excel. You have to do this otherwise the retail installer from MS will install everything by default.

Edit: Here is the configuration code (save as configuration.xml)

jeydax

Death and Taxes
Hey sorry I forgot to do this last night, ended up working late. I'll get you a link tonight and some instructions - keep an eye out for a PM from me. I don't understand why Office 2016 is such a bitch to install. Took me a few days to get it done properly and thank god I saved everything.

DeadAgain!?_sl

shitlord
So I got a 960 GB scandisk Ultra II SSD for $160 yesterday from bestbuy. I also bought my EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 for $440 today, I know this is marked up but with how inventory has been lately I didn't care, and my current PC is in a bad way lately. I will probably go down to the Microcenter friday and see what other parts I can get.

I've been looking at the Fractal r5 and Be Quiet! 800/900 for cases, kind of hard to decide.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
jeydax, what's the advantage? Is your steps just an easier way to install what you want, after you already have a product key? Confused what the point is. Thanks.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So I got a 960 GB scandisk Ultra II SSD for $160 yesterday from bestbuy. I also bought my EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 for $440 today, I know this is marked up but with how inventory has been lately I didn't care, and my current PC is in a bad way lately. I will probably go down to the Microcenter friday and see what other parts I can get.

I've been looking at the Fractal r5 and Be Quiet! 800/900 for cases, kind of hard to decide.
Lucky you have a Microcenter near you. They almost always have sweet deals on motherboard and CPU combos, to save you even more money.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Lucky you have a Microcenter near you. They almost always have sweet deals on motherboard and CPU combos, to save you even more money.
It was better deals in the past. When I bought my proc and motherboard combo for my kids PC this summer it was only like $30 off. But still they have the best prices on procs around. I think like $199 for a i5 6600K which is still like $30 cheaper than online. But there are other deals there to be had, like the monitor I got for my kid LG 27" 1080p 60hz IPS (yeah i know, but its for the kid) for like $169. Memory was like $50 for standard speed crucial 16gb pack DDR4. Case I got him for $40, nice Corsair with 3 led fans.

Caliane

Anyone have any recommendations for new pc? Throwing up post, while reading back, what's been discussed recently with pcs.

I'm not sure what is the good brands, etc nowadays. Looking for standouts in quality, or great deals.

Current is,

win 7 enterprise. not supported, so will need to buy a new OS.

i5-3570 (was a little shocked how little improvement benchmarks over this seem to be. but, probably going whole new pc, and keeping old as backup, so replacing anyway.)
8gb ddr3

128GB ssd (want 500GB)
1 TB HD (current is full. need 1 TB archive, and 2 TB or more for working. Previous 512GB archive failed, a month ago or so.)
Geforce GTX 560 Ti. (proper outdated. wouldn't mind supporting AMD, but I certainly have had Nvidia cards for the last.. 9 out of 10. and everyone seems to suggest there drivers are just that much better.)
Where are we at with vid cards? all these new ones just came out. Price drops on older, reliable models?

Will need a case, MB and PSU as well. Full tower. Current was an Antec 600 series iirc.
Mostly to remind myself. my dvd drive is nearly dead. need a new one, or blu-ray.

Generally, looking "around" $1000. not a hard value.
Should note, is actually primarily for work (hence large HD space required.) But, gaming is there as well.
Photoshop page file is "fast drive, not boot drive". will probably take that 128GB SSD boot drive from old, put it in the new, as a page file drive. Use the new intended SSD for boot and Steam.

jeydax

Death and Taxes
jeydax, what's the advantage? Is your steps just an easier way to install what you want, after you already have a product key? Confused what the point is. Thanks.
If you get a retail license, it is kind of stupid how they have the install setup. You can't use the VL to install, which is the installer which allows you to select what you want to install. The retail license version installer will just install everything. The configuration file is needed to make sure it only installs what you want (ie for me: Word, Powerpoint, Excel only).

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Anyone have any recommendations for new pc? Throwing up post, while reading back, what's been discussed recently with pcs.

I'm not sure what is the good brands, etc nowadays. Looking for standouts in quality, or great deals.

Current is,

i5-3570 (was a little shocked how little improvement benchmarks over this seem to be. but, probably going whole new pc, and keeping old as backup, so replacing anyway.)
8gb ddr3

128GB ssd (want 500GB)
1 TB HD (current is full. need 1 TB archive, and 2 TB or more for working. Previous 512GB archive failed, a month ago or so.)
Geforce GTX 560 Ti. (proper outdated. wouldn't mind supporting AMD, but I certainly have had Nvidia cards for the last.. 9 out of 10. and everyone seems to suggest there drivers are just that much better.)
Where are we at with vid cards? all these new ones just came out. Price drops on older, reliable models?

Will need a case, MB and PSU as well. Full tower. Current was an Antec 600 series iirc.
Mostly to remind myself. my dvd drive is nearly dead. need a new one, or blu-ray.

Should note, is actually primarily for work (hence large HD space required.) But, gaming is there as well.
Photoshop page file is "fast drive, not boot drive". will probably take that 128GB SSD boot drive from old, put it in the new, as a page file drive. Use the new intended SSD for boot and Steam.
Are you comfortable building your own or are you looking for prebuilt?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider

Current is,

8gb ddr3

128GB ssd (want 500GB)

something like this would be a good deal if you're dead-set on not building a machine yourself

http://slickdeals.net/f/8900407-ibuy...?src=catpagev2

$1037 after rebate for i7 6700k, Nvidia 1070 graphics, 16GB DDR4 memory, etc. Throw your own additional storage of choice in there and you're gtg.