Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Fractal Define S is about as good as it gets assuming you dont absolutely need 5.25 drive bays or more than 3 mechanical harddrives. Only complaints I have with it is the top fan mounts and lack of dust filter for them. I love mine.

moontayle

Golden Squire
I got the Define S for my new rig. Quiet as hell, awesome cable management, looks sharp. Define R5 is what you need for a DVD/BR drive but I can't imagine it being anything less than awesome. Highly recommended.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Just a word of warning: Avoid the EVGA 1080 FTW cards. I found out after it was too late and my card arrived. It started with micro pauses, then to this dreaded black screen issue that seems to be plaguing the FTW line of EVGA cards. DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Read more here:
GTX 1080/1000 (EVGA) Info for those experiencing Crashing/Freezing/Black Screen/Restarts: Don't give up yet! • /r/nvidia

I've initiated a refund through Amazon. Guess I will wait for a Ti version next year.
Why wouldn't you just RMA it?

That sounds more like buyer's remorse than a technical problem.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Why wouldn't you just RMA it?

That sounds more like buyer's remorse than a technical problem.

It's both. It is completely unusable and broken currently. EVGA does not RMA for APO (military) addresses, so it has to go back through Amazon anyway. As soon as the page popped up for a $670 refund, I thought twice about the purchase and don't really think it's worth that much over my 780 Ti.

I posted here to basically warn others about the EVGA FTW cards because the problem is widespread.

Inque

FunEmployed
Funny anecdote, once again I get to do a return at Best Buy, knowing at least my power supply didn't burn up but instead it was the video card.

My GTX 760 4GB card asploded, so since Best Buy wouldn't price match the $99 deal on Newegg because (it was out of stock) after I ordered it online, the guy at the counter knew I needed a card and suggested Radeon 460RX because it was close to the specs I would get with the 950 GTX from EVGA. Knowing the guy was batshit looney, I said well the return policy doesn't state I can't bring it back, right? Sure. So I bought it. Fucking card is a piece of shit, can't scrape above setting 4 on WoW graphics and was a pisser in most other regards for driver support and temperature. Meanwhile, GTX 950 arrived yesterday -- sumbitch runs everything in WoW at Ultra settings 10 (outside of SSAOx2) and better idle/load temps (30 idle/70 load). I mean, for $130 I wasn't expecting a GTX 1060 or anything but geezuz the difference between these two allegedly equal cards was night and day.

Last time I attempted to return shit to them though, they said I had exceeded my limit, and I hardly ever return shit to the store, that was six months ago. I'm hoping I don't have a difficult time this time around. That said, is Amazon really the go to place for PC parts now? I've never had any issues with Newegg at all but I've never thought to go through Amazon...

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Funny anecdote, once again I get to do a return at Best Buy, knowing at least my power supply didn't burn up but instead it was the video card.

My GTX 760 4GB card asploded, so since Best Buy wouldn't price match the $99 deal on Newegg because (it was out of stock) after I ordered it online, the guy at the counter knew I needed a card and suggested Radeon 460RX because it was close to the specs I would get with the 950 GTX from EVGA. Knowing the guy was batshit looney, I said well the return policy doesn't state I can't bring it back, right? Sure. So I bought it. Fucking card is a piece of shit, can't scrape above setting 4 on WoW graphics and was a pisser in most other regards for driver support and temperature. Meanwhile, GTX 950 arrived yesterday -- sumbitch runs everything in WoW at Ultra settings 10 (outside of SSAOx2) and better idle/load temps (30 idle/70 load). I mean, for $130 I wasn't expecting a GTX 1060 or anything but geezuz the difference between these two allegedly equal cards was night and day.

Last time I attempted to return shit to them though, they said I had exceeded my limit, and I hardly ever return shit to the store, that was six months ago. I'm hoping I don't have a difficult time this time around. That said, is Amazon really the go to place for PC parts now? I've never had any issues with Newegg at all but I've never thought to go through Amazon...
Amazon is the new, newegg cuz they don't give a fuck about returns.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I probably buy 75% of my on-line computer-related purchases from Amazon. The other 25% tends to be some combo of Newegg, Jet, Monoprice, and ebay

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I've been having Pc issues (documented in the issues thread) and have finally had enough so am just buying a new pc and just putting together a list of bits to buy. I currently have a R9 270, would I see a major leap if I went with a 1060 or the AMD equivalent? I realise it will be an upgrade, but as I only play WoW on a non-fancy 27" monitor is it good bag for the buck?

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
a 1060 is going to be roughly twice as powerful as your current 270. The problem is going to be WoW itself though. When you're by yourself in some secluded area, maybe you see your FPS go from 100 to 200...but you can't see any noticeable difference.

Then in the middle of a lag-fest giant raid, things other than your video card are also bottlenecking you, so maybe your FPS goes from like 5 to 10. Still unplayable either way.

MMOs can run the gamut from very easy on your system, to taxing it beyond belief in just the span of a few moments. It's harder to get consistent performance with them no matter what your setup is, compared to most other types of games.

Inque

FunEmployed
Definitely go with the Nvidia choice. As I said earlier, the GTX950 was more than adequate for around $100 to suffice running 1080p Ultra (even in raid), you just can't exceed SSAA 4x + w/o having at least a GTX 1060 or more. The CPU will make a better difference in your WoW experience though. If you have a Haswell based i5 or i7 you should be A-OK. Mine is a i7 4900 with no problems.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Is there anything coming down the pike that will shake up the current, sorely lacking, 27" 1440p G-sync line-up? Seems absurd that there's still only two IPS panels on offer, I don't think I could stand to put a TN beside my other 27" IPS.

Is anyone here using the Asus or Acer? If so, how are they? Is it even worth the extra cash over the TN panels?

Apollo64

N00b
There are AOC and Viewsonic 27" G-Sync 1440/165 IPS monitors too, but they may not be widely available yet.

Personally i prefer TN over IPS in general, better pixel response time and lack of ips glow. A friend has the Asus PG278 and i think it looks great, vibrant and pleasant colours, not much difference with IPS.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Also in the perfect posture club on my Dell S2716DG.

The IPS sitting next to it... calibrated the same, has really awesome looking orange shades, at the cost of a weird yellowishness to mid-range blue colors. Otherwise identical when facing it head-on.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
I have a dual monitor stand that allows me to adjust monitors to suit my admittedly shit posture. The 24" TN panel that I have still looks pretty awful next to my IPS (BenQ GW2765), but it's also pretty damned old. I'm still leaning towards shelling out the extra $150 for the IPS however. Was just hoping there'd be something coming out soon to help push the prices down.

Apollo64

N00b
There aren't any new high refresh IPS panels coming up afaik, so it'll be only that AUO 27'' panel being used in those monitors. I don't expect prices to fall significantly, however there is an ugly Pixio monitor with a Freesync version of this panel that sells for less than $400 in Amazon.

As far as other high refresh panels, Samsung is going to release very soon two 24''/27'' 144Hz VA curved monitors with Freesync (not having high hopes for those, VA has been bad for gaming) and AUO is releasing two 25''/27'' TN 240Hz panels next year.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
I need a pointer please folks:

New PC bits arrived, and it's all built up fine. Did a dry-run boot with no hard drives or GPU installed and updated the BIOS and am now ready to install the drives and GPU.

I've created a bootable USB with a win 10 ISO on it, can I just stick the drives and GPU in and then boot from this USB and overwrite the win10 on my SSD? Or should I prep the old win10 somehow before reinstalling? Cheers!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Boot with your USB, and when prompted, do a clean and fresh install onto your SSD. Windows will automatically set everything up for SSD nowadays. No need to custom configure anything.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user