Desktop Computers

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
The Corsair software is fucking terrible, IMO, but otherwise I've been reasonably satisfied with my H110 GTX or whatever it was. Although the fans it came with aren't nearly as quiet as I would have liked. Anything more than 30-40% and they're obnoxiously loud, And from what I found, the difference between the lowest and highest fan speed is only a few C, so why bother? For most gaming it keeps my 6600k OC'd at about 4.4ghz down around 35C. If I'm blasting it with Prime95 or Linpack, then it'll go up to around 60C.

Apollo64

N00b
this is awesome dude thanks a ton for that.

Looks like the h110i GT is one of the coolest, and one of the quietest. Any reason I wouldnt get it?
Hydro Series™ H110i GT 280mm Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler

Most people don't seem to like the fans' noise, so they end replacing them driving the overall cost higher.

Anyway, here is a sound sample of a h110i under load.

Btw, that Youtube channel is great if you want to hear the sound of various coolers.

Edit: In regards to water coolers, you don't really need them and personally i don't think they are worth the price and the noise.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The Corsair software is fucking terrible, IMO, but otherwise I've been reasonably satisfied with my H110 GTX or whatever it was. Although the fans it came with aren't nearly as quiet as I would have liked. Anything more than 30-40% and they're obnoxiously loud, And from what I found, the difference between the lowest and highest fan speed is only a few C, so why bother? For most gaming it keeps my 6600k OC'd at about 4.4ghz down around 35C. If I'm blasting it with Prime95 or Linpack, then it'll go up to around 60C.
try speedfan maybe? i've never used the Corsair software tho.
Most people don't seem to like the fans' noise, so they end replacing them driving the overall cost higher.

Anyway, here is a sound sample of a h110i under load.

Btw, that Youtube channel is great if you want to hear the sound of various coolers.

Edit: In regards to water coolers, you don't really need them and personally i don't think they are worth the price and the noise.
I don't know why anyone would ever have a watercooler hit load, for more than 10s, ever. I'm OC'd but my fans spin at 45% (thats when it's not audible). When do some crazy shit in Dreamweaver or Photoshop, sure I get 100% CPU utilization and my fans start to spin to 100%, but then levels off.

I'm actually greatful for the Corsair H100 I have, it's 6years old? and before that i'd buy the current years greatest heatsink every two years.

Last edited:

Flipmode

EQOA Refugee
Guess I will be in the market for a 1070 soon. Just bought a dell u3415w ultrawide on impulse. The microsoft store in chandler had it on sale for $799 but I got them to price match Best Buy for $649 and give me a 10% student discount on top if it. Too good to pass up. I have ascended to the #ultrawidemasterrace!

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
I want to drastically reduce the size of my computer, and I was looking into one of these HTPC cases and building my computer from there. Specifically this case (Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case (FD-CA-NODE-202-BK) - PCPartPicker)

I don't want to break the bank here, so I am going to try and reuse as much as I can. I know I will need to replace the motherboard in order to fit in the smaller case, so I am planning on that. My video card is really old too, it is a GTX 760 so I will definitely be replacing that. The processor is an i7-4770k, so I think that is fine as well. However, through my work I get a pretty good discount on Intel processors and I can purchase a new i7-6700k for $173. I will only have the open to me for about another 5 months or so, so I am wondering if I should just get it now while I can get it for cheap.

Here are my questions.

1. I do game but not nearly as much as in the past. I am definitely not going to spend the money on a 1080, and really like the price point of the 1060. Is there a drastic difference between the 1060 and 1070, and should I just spend a bit more to get the 1070?
2. Should I upgrade the processor while I can do it at a relatively cheap price, or stick with the 4770k?
3. Will my current PSU fit into that smaller case, or do I need to order one that is specific to it? I assumed they are all the same size, but I could be wrong. I tried to look around a bit, but I can't seem to find an answer.
4. I currently run 16gb of ram but was considering upgrading to 32. I think at this point I am still totally fine with 16, and if I wanted I can always upgrade it later. Is there any real need for 32gb at the moment for someone who only does light gaming?

I think that is all for now. I will come back if I have any others! Thanks in advance.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
1. I do game but not nearly as much as in the past. I am definitely not going to spend the money on a 1080, and really like the price point of the 1060. Is there a drastic difference between the 1060 and 1070, and should I just spend a bit more to get the 1070?
2. Should I upgrade the processor while I can do it at a relatively cheap price, or stick with the 4770k?
3. Will my current PSU fit into that smaller case, or do I need to order one that is specific to it? I assumed they are all the same size, but I could be wrong. I tried to look around a bit, but I can't seem to find an answer.
4. I currently run 16gb of ram but was considering upgrading to 32. I think at this point I am still totally fine with 16, and if I wanted I can always upgrade it later. Is there any real need for 32gb at the moment for someone who only does light gaming?

I think that is all for now. I will come back if I have any others! Thanks in advance.

As for #1 and #2, you'll get MUCH more performance upgrading from a 1060 to a 1070, than upgrading your processor from a 4770k to a 6700k. Go with the vid card upgrade, skip the processor upgrade if you're on a budget. The processor upgrade might be a 10-15% performance boost in gaming, the video card upgrade will be a 40-50% performance boost. Much better bang for your buck

I'd also just stick with 16GB for now, there's no use for 32GB, and thats an easy upgrade that can be done at any time in less than 5 minutes if you need more RAM in a few years.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'd also just stick with 16GB for now, there's no use for 32GB, and thats an easy upgrade that can be done at any time in less than 5 minutes if you need more RAM in a few years.
Not if he's planning on using that case with an ITX board, 99% of all ITX boards will have only 2 dimm slots, currently all the modern M-ITX boards only have 2, atm

Apollo64

N00b
I want to drastically reduce the size of my computer, and I was looking into one of these HTPC cases and building my computer from there. Specifically this case (Fractal Design Node 202 HTPC Case (FD-CA-NODE-202-BK) - PCPartPicker)

I don't want to break the bank here, so I am going to try and reuse as much as I can. I know I will need to replace the motherboard in order to fit in the smaller case, so I am planning on that. My video card is really old too, it is a GTX 760 so I will definitely be replacing that. The processor is an i7-4770k, so I think that is fine as well. However, through my work I get a pretty good discount on Intel processors and I can purchase a new i7-6700k for $173. I will only have the open to me for about another 5 months or so, so I am wondering if I should just get it now while I can get it for cheap.

Here are my questions.

1. The 1070 is for 1440p gaming while the 1060 is for 1080p. If you don't have a 2560x1440 monitor (or a high refresh one), then the 1060 is sufficient imo, it's equivalent to a 970 more or less, also runs much cooler/quieter which is important in a small box. If you have a 1440 monitor, then by all means you should get a 1070.
2. Upgrading the processor means that you'll have to get new DDR4 memory sticks, so the cost is not as low as you think.
3. The Node 202 can come with an integrated PSU. We don't know if your current PSU can fit in there (likely it won't) since you didn't tell us the model :D
4. 16gbs are perfectly fine, hell we haven't even passed the 8gbs requirement yet.

EDIT: The cheapest avenue is to keep the processor and ram, get a mobo+a 1060+the case you want. Look up if your PSU can fit, else look up if the integrated PSU in the Node 202 is good enough. If not, then you are in the market for a new PSU.

Last edited:

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Not if he's planning on using that case with an ITX board, 99% of all ITX boards will have only 2 dimm slots, currently all the modern M-ITX boards only have 2, atm

Well, regardless then he'll either have to ditch his current RAM now and buy 2x16GB, or do the same in a few years. Even more reason to wait.

1. The 1070 is for 1440p gaming while the 1060 is for 1080p. If you don't have a 2560x1440 monitor (or a high refresh one), then the 1060 is sufficient imo, it's equivalent to a 970 more or less, also runs much cooler/quieter which is important in a small box. If you have a 1440 monitor, then by all means you should get a 1070.

a 1070 is just as much of an upgrade at 1080p as it is at 1440p.

59fGHdrac6dMfZTqmeBA77-650-80.png

1070 is an average of 37% faster at 1080p

1070 is an average of 40% faster at 1440p

There are going to be games that a 970/1060 can't run at max settings at 1080p over the next few years. A 1070 would most definitely help that cause

I still think it's one of the best bang-for-your-buck upgrades you can make. A 1070 is about 60% more expensive for 40% more performance. That's a pretty decent ratio for any computer component upgrade. Heck, a 1080 is about 50-60% more expensive than a 1070 for only 20% better performance.

McFly

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I'm trying my hardest to wait till black Friday / cyber Monday to get my parts for a new build. 1070 is definitely the way to go right now. I'm not sure about my CPU choice though. i5 something I think.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I don't understand people saying a 1070 is for 1440p and at 1080p you want a 1060

I run wow at max around 90 fps on a 144hz monitor. I'd get nowhere close with a 1060. Overwatch obviously is big headroom at 250fps. Other games like doom and a few others just toe the 144fps line.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
TLDR at bottom

Help Internet Tech Folk. Trying to figure out if I should build a new comp now, or wait for the new CPU early next year or wait for the newest GPU's middle of next year? (Not neccesarily to get them but I assume that's the time to get the current cutting edge current gen for cheaper?)

My 6 year old computer I think is close to it's last servicable days. I've swapped out over it's lifetime a PSU, the ram (foolishly only to 8gb I thought ddr4 but could be wrong), a hard drive, upgraded to a HD7970 3gb ghz edition. Has a AMD phenom 2 4 core 3.3ghz, is actually unlocked from friend who built it to 8 cores? Doesn't show in windows info screen

BF1 at least in open beta ran like stuttering 2 fps, freezes or like 20 at best. No amount of messing with drivers and settings seemed to fix, but could easily be on their end with my ancient thing. But it's been a while since I can run max on anything. I am a bit budget constrained with other hobbies especially since I don't game as much anymore though I'd like to.

So hoping something 800-1000 is possible that's good for at least a few years. Like I said not sure if I should do it next couple months or sometime next year. I am hankering to play bf1/warhammer 40k death wing, etc.

I have no intention of running 4k video, and my monitors are outdated as hell. (HannsG 27.5 1920x1200 "IF281" i can't even google", a secondary monitor https://www.amazon.com/Dell-UltraSharp-2007WFP-1680x1050-resolution/dp/B000FI6R72, and a I have sitting around for no reason https://www.amazon.com/AOC-E2343FI-23-Widescreen-Speakers/dp/B0074ZACF2. (Didnt use as secondary for space and I'm lazy but wondering if theres a huge reason to replace one of the others.

I'm assuming none of those are faster than 60hz so getting 140fps doesn't help me other than giving plenty of leg room as things get more demanding to stay above 60fps.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Unsure of upgrading now vs early next year. Psuedo budget vs want some recent and soon games to actually be playable on decent settings. Ballparking 700-1000. Figure with waiting price drops or maybe something so uber it's worth the premium.

I don't do anything except game and read forums/netflix. So from reading around I'm assuming I might be only shooting for a top end i5 rather than an i7. I have no idea about cards anymore, maybe just a 1070 based on the last few replies of this thread or anything from AMD that's worthwhile (ie within 5% performance but 20% cheaper or whatever)

Going to do my first SSD and keep my existing 1tb mechanical drive that's less than half full. I dont really torrent a bunch of media. Just random internet saved pics.

Last edited:

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You have a high refresh monitor though. All those extra frames get wasted on a typical 60Hz monitor.
Didn't know we were talking 60FPS, if it was said somewhere I apologize

Sludig Sludig I'm a pretty firm believer in buying the new PC when you need it/when you can afford it. If you wait a year you're going to think "I wonder if I should wait a year for that next big thing"

i5 is perfect for performance/cost ratio

You could probably build something pretty good for 1000, just hit up pcpartpicker and slap parts in and people can critique it

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I hope Intel refreshes the 7700k with a 7770k 6 months later with .2 more jigawatts.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Ok, as I'm doing my reading. According to this link. Battlefield 1 Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance

The i7-6700k doesnt have much advantage on the i5-6600k. I was leaning i7 at first since it's only $100 more. But such a small difference in that test.... does it have some PC wizardry in the i7 that will matter a lot more in the coming years?