Desktop Computers

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Ok, as I'm doing my reading. According to this link. Battlefield 1 Benchmarked: Graphics & CPU Performance

The i7-6700k doesnt have much advantage on the i5-6600k. I was leaning i7 at first since it's only $100 more. But such a small difference in that test.... does it have some PC wizardry in the i7 that will matter a lot more in the coming years?

Unless you're doing things that benefit from the hyperthreading on the i7, an i5 is all you'll need. Shit, im still using an i5-2500k, though it is starting to show its age.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Here's what I came up with from advice with friends.

Went with i5, and a 1070. .... Over budget.

The PSU is the one I'll be taking from old comp as well as my dvd drive. Not sure what else I can salvage, hard drive also which will store non games in addition to the SSD. Was pushed into the 150 instead of 100 mobo's for better over clocking down the road. Not sure what I would change other than cheaping out on 1060 and trying to make do with a 250gb SSD.

Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING, Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Need to find el cheapo windows 10 key.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Has a AMD phenom 2 4 core 3.3ghz, is actually unlocked from friend who built it to 8 cores? Doesn't show in windows info screen
Yea you 100% most likely have an AMD Phenom IIx2 550, w/ 2 unlocked cores. You just enabled "unlocked processors" in a bios setting, AMD didn't give a fuck. I actually have that in my HTPC now, played Witcher 3 just fine a few months ago, your video card is just ass old.

I mean if it were me, i'd get a new 250-500gb SSD first and reinstall the system.

Then I'd get a 1070 or whatever and see if that pans out.

Then if it really sucks, spend mo money on a total system upgrade, but those 2 parts could be upgraded first and fast and see dramatic differences.

Pizoi

Golden Squire
Here's what I came up with from advice with friends.

Went with i5, and a 1070. .... Over budget.

The PSU is the one I'll be taking from old comp as well as my dvd drive. Not sure what else I can salvage, hard drive also which will store non games in addition to the SSD. Was pushed into the 150 instead of 100 mobo's for better over clocking down the road. Not sure what I would change other than cheaping out on 1060 and trying to make do with a 250gb SSD.

Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core, GeForce GTX 1070 8GB SC GAMING, Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower - System Build - PCPartPicker

Need to find el cheapo windows 10 key.

Depending on the age of that PSU and your budget, you might want to get yourself a new one. I hate reusing old PSU's, since a failure could nuke half your system.

Marketplace for Microsoft Software • /r/microsoftsoftwareswap for all your cheap MS keys.

Sludig

The PSU is like a year or so old after last one failed.

Lanx kinda had what a different friend said. Maybe there is enough life left in this system.

Thing is for an SSD I wanted the M-2 connection, I dont think my ancient mobo can do that.

Which also brings me to, I don't know if my mobo can support new ram or newer card. Not sure what's changed or not.

I had already ordered this ram for new build since it was on flash sale $10 or so off. G.SKILL TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3200 (PC4 25600) Desktop Memory Model F4-3200C14D-16GTZ - Newegg.com and a case also on good sale.

I certainly like $500 vs 1250.

Sludig

Here's my mobo, looks like ddr3 only? GA-880GM-USB3

Scary the old stuff is still like $80 for 16gb. But I'm assuming that would be a worthwhile upgrade from 8gb?

Old mobo is pci-e 2.0, a 1070 is 3.0. Does 3.0 standard mean nogo or since pci-e actually gtg still?

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Here's my mobo, looks like ddr3 only? GA-880GM-USB3

Scary the old stuff is still like $80 for 16gb. But I'm assuming that would be a worthwhile upgrade from 8gb?

Old mobo is pci-e 2.0, a 1070 is 3.0. Does 3.0 standard mean nogo or since pci-e actually gtg still?
It'll physically fit and work, i don't "think" you'll saturate the bus, but maybe someone else would know since from pci2 to pci3 is almost double the bandwidth.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Gpu won't come close to needing pcie 3.0 speeds. Gonna be awhile before that's actually a thing.

Mobo could use an upgrade though.

Sludig

If i upgrade mobo, it's the whole computer. But for my current situation, would be sweet to be able to just get card, maybe waste $80 on some dddr3 and give me through this next year. That way I can shop for deals on the rest of the thing and maybe get my i5-6600k for a better price once other stuff is out?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
You can check /r/buildapcsales

That's where I got my 6700k/ram/mobo deal that was basically a free mobo based (saved 150)

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
If i upgrade mobo, it's the whole computer. But for my current situation, would be sweet to be able to just get card, maybe waste $80 on some dddr3 and give me through this next year. That way I can shop for deals on the rest of the thing and maybe get my i5-6600k for a better price once other stuff is out?
Don't forget the SSD, that's a must

Sludig

Even if I have to use a SATA connection instead of m-2? Friends pushing actually going for the samsung 950 or 960 later as hugely faster than the 850 500gb.

I suppose I could get the sata ssd for now, and later get the hoss m-2 next year or whenever. But by the time I do ssd/gpu I'm already at half my full build budget. Kinda just hoping to get bf1/deathwing playing decently until I want to do full build next year.

Not sure what's the biggest bottleneck, 8gb of ddr3, the cpu, or HD.

Calbiyum

Molten Core Raider
I have a 1070 and a monitor that is about 4ish years old now (still works great)
Will games look or play that much better on a 1440 or whatever? Can always throw this monitor on my old comp

Sludig

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Even if I have to use a SATA connection instead of m-2? Friends pushing actually going for the samsung 950 or 960 later as hugely faster than the 850 500gb.

I suppose I could get the sata ssd for now, and later get the hoss m-2 next year or whenever. But by the time I do ssd/gpu I'm already at half my full build budget. Kinda just hoping to get bf1/deathwing playing decently until I want to do full build next year.

Not sure what's the biggest bottleneck, 8gb of ddr3, the cpu, or HD.
Look, going from a regular 1990's technology harddrive to a modern sata3 SSD is gonna be the difference between walking and driving a Honda civic.

Only recently with M.2 and NVMe has SSDs really gone past the Honda Civic into Corvette levels, however these new M.2 drives w/ NVMe (New Samsung/Intel/OCZ) are already twice as much as regular Sata3 SSDs and you also need a MB that supports NVMe too (getting there).

If price really isn't an issue, then yea, just junk the old PC and just get a whole new rig.

Sludig

Point was it cost was an issue hence why I'm investigating spending less to buy another year or so. I've been out of this stuff for a long time and never was an expert. Used to be I thought besides graphics everything worshipped at the altar of max ram.

But text group friend also was saying I'd see a big jump from the ssd more than doubling old ddr3 from 8 to 16. It does have the bonus of as I said being usable as secondary storage when I then build the whole thing next year. (Rather than wasting $80 on ddr 3, everything I've ordered will get used later.)

So a 1070 and the 250gb samsung for now, then next year whenever money has recovered from finishing stocking my saltwater tank and buying more Hillary is coming guns, and maybe my Tundra supercharger.... finish the thing.

Thanks folks.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Point was it cost was an issue hence why I'm investigating spending less to buy another year or so. I've been out of this stuff for a long time and never was an expert. Used to be I thought besides graphics everything worshipped at the altar of max ram.

But text group friend also was saying I'd see a big jump from the ssd more than doubling old ddr3 from 8 to 16. It does have the bonus of as I said being usable as secondary storage when I then build the whole thing next year. (Rather than wasting $80 on ddr 3, everything I've ordered will get used later.)

So a 1070 and the 250gb samsung for now, then next year whenever money has recovered from finishing stocking my saltwater tank and buying more Hillary is coming guns, and maybe my Tundra supercharger.... finish the thing.

Thanks folks.
I'm sure you checked out it's a 50$ bump going from 250 to 500 for the Samsung Evo 850 Series

Sludig

Yeah, but if I follow the "it's just this more" idea I end up back to a 1,200 build.

I only have like 400gb used on a 1tb HD and a quick check looks like an easy 100 I could shave from old games. Since I can't use an M-2 version and the 960? is coming that is quite beefier than the 950, seems like I'm better off investing in those, just need something now. If I was just grabbing this and sticking with it as a main indefinately I would go big, but I'm just going to use it as stopgap, it will still be useful later.

I get that it seems crazy, all my other friends have multiple TB of shit saved. But I don't torrent or save anything except for a few funny pics.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Yeah, but if I follow the "it's just this more" idea I end up back to a 1,200 build.

I only have like 400gb used on a 1tb HD and a quick check looks like an easy 100 I could shave from old games. Since I can't use an M-2 version and the 960? is coming that is quite beefier than the 950, seems like I'm better off investing in those, just need something now. If I was just grabbing this and sticking with it as a main indefinately I would go big, but I'm just going to use it as stopgap, it will still be useful later.

I get that it seems crazy, all my other friends have multiple TB of shit saved. But I don't torrent or save anything except for a few funny pics.
oh this is just your one and only drive? you don't have a regular HDD? well ok then, just remember if you do start to amass a library, it's best just to have a regular HHD cause the price per gb is pennies, cuz it doesn't matter how fast you access movies/songs or pics.

yea, if you're gonna get a M.2, then you should be getting the 960, it's about 30% over the 950, expect to pay 300ish, since it only comes out in 500gb