Desktop Computers

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I didn't understand the ssd hype until I got one. Then I couldn't imagine a world without one. When your pc is fully loaded and in windows in under 10.seconds then you go on your work pc and it takes like a minute it's really noticeable.

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
oh this is just your one and only drive? you don't have a regular HDD? well ok then, just remember if you do start to amass a library, it's best just to have a regular HHD cause the price per gb is pennies, cuz it doesn't matter how fast you access movies/songs or pics.

yea, if you're gonna get a M.2, then you should be getting the 960, it's about 30% over the 950, expect to pay 300ish, since it only comes out in 500gb

Oops, miscommunication somewhere? Right now I do have a 1tb HDD, then would be getting this 250gb just to run OS/games so I'd hope it's only like 150gb full tops, everything else on the HDD. IF I could hook m-2 up to this existing rig, I'd totally grab the 500gb 950 m-2 and call it good. (run it as main with HDD backup on current and future comp)

I assumed new build I'd navigate to everything on 2 SSD with one being the $$$ high dollar fastest one, but I could run a 3rd HDD I suppose, not sure if I have the connections/space. (Keep in mind I'm here because I'm computarded)

Even getting this stopgap SATA SSD for now, I have no idea's on wtf I'm doing getting it running. (Can I have same windows 10 from my HDD onto the SSD and work with both? I've never even used a computer with more than one physical drive, just network drives.) Not sure how you change it to boot OS off the SSD instead of existing HDD etc. Iirc the win 10 key tied to mobo not HD right?

Last edited:

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Even getting this stopgap SATA SSD for now, I have no idea's on wtf I'm doing getting it running. (Can I have same windows 10 from my HDD onto the SSD and work with both? I've never even used a computer with more than one physical drive, just network drives.) Not sure how you change it to boot OS off the SSD instead of existing HDD etc. Iirc the win 10 key tied to mobo not HD right?

Easiest way to do it would be to disconnect your boot HD from the computer , install the SSD and put a fresh install of windows on it. Then reconnect the old HD and move stuff over as necessary. Ideally you'd want to empty the old HD and format it, but you could just delete the windows directories (once you get any data to keep out of them) if you lack somewhere to move the data to so you can format.

Sludig

The fresh install for the SSD, is that going to be just download the install off microsoft or something? Then the mobo will auto feed it the key? I don't think I have it handy anymore. For new comp I know to just use the reddit thing for cheaper keys.

The reason to remove windows directories off the HDD is just to not waste space or will it fuck with things? I might have a external HD that can take stuff, but last I knew it was kinda spotty.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
I have a 1070 and a monitor that is about 4ish years old now (still works great)
Will games look or play that much better on a 1440 or whatever? Can always throw this monitor on my old comp

IMO the biggest change in monitor tech in the past 5 years has been G-sync, not necessarily resolution or even higher refresh rates. Personally I think it's worth getting a good IPS, G-sync monitor. I replaced a 10 year old 24" Dell with the Acer XB270HU and continues to blow my mind. But I've always been super sensitive to both screen tearing and input lag with V-sync on and mediocre framerates, so your mileage may vary.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
The fresh install for the SSD, is that going to be just download the install off microsoft or something? Then the mobo will auto feed it the key? I don't think I have it handy anymore. For new comp I know to just use the reddit thing for cheaper keys.

The reason to remove windows directories off the HDD is just to not waste space or will it fuck with things? I might have a external HD that can take stuff, but last I knew it was kinda spotty.

Create a MS account if you don't have one and link your windows 10 key to it. How to re-activate Windows 10 after a hardware change Otherwise you would end up having to call up MS to reactivate it.

Yes, removing windows from the old HDD is mainly to conserve space and have a cleaner drive to work with. If you leave it as a bootable drive you'll have to make sure your boot order is correct in BIOS or the machine may attempt to boot off the old HD instead of the SSD.

Ameraves

New title pending...
<Bronze Donator>
Well, I have been overruled on the new computer. Wife decided that getting the house painted, redoing the front bathroom, and finishing the backyard was enough money to be spent for now.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Friend of mine is trying to figure out the best upgrade path for an old ass computer that his kids use to play games. The latest and greatest games like BF1 and stuff, and he's sick of his kids bitching and moaning about how slow things are.

His computer now is an old gateway machine that he's kinda frakenstein'ed and upgraded along the way. i3-530 processor, 6gb RAM across 4 sticks, gtx950 video card.

He asked his boys for a Christmas list and they both want a new processor for the computer, so he started researching it, and that gen motherboard could take an i7-870, but he's not sure that it'll even make a difference. Looking at cpu benchmarks, it's significantly better than the i3 of course, but I don't know if it'd even play the newer games. I told him the best bet would probably be waiting for a kick ass mobo/cpu combo deal on Black Friday.

Do you guys agree? Basically his budget is $200-$300, so there isn't a lot of wiggle room here.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
His computer now is an old gateway machine
pou_7153.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
His computer now is an old gateway machine that he's kinda frakenstein'ed and upgraded along the way. i3-530 processor, 6gb RAM across 4 sticks, gtx950 video card.

He asked his boys for a Christmas list and they both want a new processor for the computer, so he started researching it, and that gen motherboard could take an i7-870, but he's not sure that it'll even make a difference.

Upgrading the CPU on that would be throwing money away. he should wait until he can afford to replace the motherboard and CPU with something not 6 years old.

Sludig

Yeah, look at the last few pages of people like me trying to get a computer together good for bf1 and a few years more.

And those are the stats after upgrading it over time? Was he buying peoples $10 or free hand me downs? I mean I think I have 4-6gb of old ddr 3 laying around I couldnt get rid of.

I think at best, he's going to spend like 600 to get current gen games at low/medium. As much as PC master race for life, I'd agree a console makes sense for someone so budget constrained.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I wouldn't want to try to game on a PC that cost less than $500 to build, it would be worse than a $300 console for sure.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Yeah I wasn't trying to be a dick by recommending it. I still game on my ps4. Nothing wrong with that.

If his kids are really interested they should start saving money d(birthdays holidays etc) and look into building one.

I was those kids when I was younger and it sucked.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Hello RRR friends -

Putting together a build and would like to see if anyone thinks I am majorly screwing something up.

The goal here: Build a very powerful PC in a small and quiet form factor.

Moderate gaming + heavy office use (large spreadsheets generally). I'm not looking to WASTE money, but I am happy to pay whatever for smart upgrades.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($649.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1752.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-31 01:05 EDT-0400

Oh and one other question: If I end up wanting a Z270 board (thinking for TB3, if i need it), I can drop the i6700 into it since its the same socket, right?

gogusrl

Molten Core Raider
Don't waste money and an i7 / 1080 for moderate gaming / spreadsheet use don't really fit together. I'd say the same thing about the 950 but maybe they're VERY large spreadsheets.

Build looks good if we ignore the price vs intended use.

bho

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Don't waste money and an i7 / 1080 for moderate gaming / spreadsheet use don't really fit together. I'd say the same thing about the 950 but maybe they're VERY large spreadsheets.

Build looks good if we ignore the price vs intended use.

i5 / 1070 then? I dont play games often but i when i do i want it to be awesome. Have a 1440p ultrawide FWIW

and i threw in the 950 pro as a placeholder. just gonna use a random sata ssd i have lying around and get the 960 evo when it comes out in a few weeks