Desktop Computers

Apollo64

N00b
If i were to make a mITX build, i would use that exact same case you picked(Define Nano S without the window). You can fit in there even bigger and better coolers (such as the Noctua NH-D15S), so those are worth considering. Or you can do water cooling too!

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i5 / 1070 then? I dont play games often but i when i do i want it to be awesome. Have a 1440p ultrawide FWIW

and i threw in the 950 pro as a placeholder. just gonna use a random sata ssd i have lying around and get the 960 evo when it comes out in a few weeks
don't bother trying to make an "office" computer, just don't overclock it (so you don't get random bluescreens) and get 16gigs.

The only office apps that really stress out a rig are crazy spreadsheets or multilayer DWGs, 8gb is borderline, will not be an issue, 16gb is basically saying there is no ceiling, price of ram is cheap now, so just get 16gb and whatever cpu/video card combo you want want to, game on.

probably some i5, 1080 or whatever.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Hello RRR friends -

Putting together a build and would like to see if anyone thinks I am majorly screwing something up.

The goal here: Build a very powerful PC in a small and quiet form factor.

Moderate gaming + heavy office use (large spreadsheets generally). I'm not looking to WASTE money, but I am happy to pay whatever for smart upgrades.

Any help would be very much appreciated!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($318.99 @ NCIX US)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S 55.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.33 @ OutletPC)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 Mini ITX LGA1151 Motherboard ($159.99 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($109.49 @ OutletPC)
Storage: Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($314.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB FTW Gaming ACX 3.0 Video Card ($649.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S Mini ITX Desktop Case ($59.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: Corsair RM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $1752.76
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-10-31 01:05 EDT-0400

Oh and one other question: If I end up wanting a Z270 board (thinking for TB3, if i need it), I can drop the i6700 into it since its the same socket, right?

As much as I love Samsung SSDs (I own 6 of them), I'm just not a fan of the value/cost of the Pro line.

You're paying as much for your 512GB Pro as you would for a 1TB EVo

And yes, the Pro is roughly 3 times faster in most read/write tests...but what does that mean in real-world performance? Your game now loads in 1/2 a second instead of 1 second. Windows now loads in 3 or 4 seconds instead of 10 seconds.

The real-world difference is miniscule. I'd much, MUCH rather have the 1TB of space than the 512GB of space and additional speed. It's kinda like a video card that pushes your favorite game from 200FPS to 300FPs. Sure, that's a huge performance gain, but what use is it in reality?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
As much as I love Samsung SSDs (I own 6 of them), I'm just not a fan of the value/cost of the Pro line.

You're paying as much for your 512GB Pro as you would for a 1TB EVo

And yes, the Pro is roughly 3 times faster in most read/write tests...but what does that mean in real-world performance? Your game now loads in 1/2 a second instead of 1 second. Windows now loads in 3 or 4 seconds instead of 10 seconds.

The real-world difference is miniscule. I'd much, MUCH rather have the 1TB of space than the 512GB of space and additional speed. It's kinda like a video card that pushes your favorite game from 200FPS to 300FPs. Sure, that's a huge performance gain, but what use is it in reality?
For the video card you could at least argue that it would remain competitive longer. The ssds have finite writes

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
For the video card you could at least argue that it would remain competitive longer. The ssds have finite writes

And the speed will degrade the closer you get to full. Another advantage for the 1TB drive. It's probably faster than the 512GB Pro once you have 400+GB storage filled. It doesn't take long to fill 500GB nowadays when a lot of games are 50-70GB a pop.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
And the speed will degrade the closer you get to full. Another advantage for the 1TB drive. It's probably faster than the 512GB Pro once you have 400+GB storage filled. It doesn't take long to fill 500GB nowadays when a lot of games are 50-70GB a pop.

M.2 NVMe drives are entirely different animal than modern sata3 drives.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
M.2 NVMe drives are entirely different animal than modern sata3 drives.

Right, but set 2 PCs booting off of a 850 Evo and a 950 Pro next to each other and you won't see much real-world difference. Even less in the loading of applications/games.

Read the ArsTechnica review

950 Pro review: Samsung’s first PCIe M.2 NVMe SSD is an absolute monster

They have nothing but good things to say about the 950 Pro, except that dominating all the synthetic benchmarks in the world doesn't really amount to much real-world difference.

Conclusion
The 950 Pro is exceptionally fast, delivering sequential transfer rates and IOPS that have so far not been seen from a consumer SSD. From the prospect of raw performance and transfer speeds, Samsung has once again delivered the goods.

It’s more expensive than other drives, which is somewhat understandable given that V-NAND flash and a PCIe 3.0 interface don’t come cheap. It’s only a small extra premium over the 850 Pro, especially when compared with the OCZ RevoDrive, which was significantly more expensive than SATA disks when it launched.

But just because it has best-in-class performance, that doesn't mean that you should actually buya 950 Pro. Unless you have some seriously demanding, IO-intensive workloads, a drive that costs considerably less will deliver the same snappy system performance as the 950 Pro.

I just think that 99% of home PC users would be happier with 1TB of space over that small real-world speed difference for the same money

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have a good recommendation for a strong power supply that works well with a 1070 GTX? Meaning, two 8 pin PCI-E connections which connect into the power supply (modular required)?

Right now I have determined that my current P/S and the way it is powering my GPU (One 2-6>8 pin PCI-E) and one adapter coming off a fan to 8 pin PCI-E) isn't working as when I so anything on my second display while playing a game the card crashes. (If I do nothing on the second display and just have it on, the game won't crash. As soon as I start surfing the net on the second display, while say, on a flight point in WoW, the card spins to 100% and black screens. (Card has been RMA'd and it still happens) and rumblings are this is a power supply issue. (The PS is a 700W Corsair, but it is from 2012)

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>

I was thinking of another RMA too but when I play games it never crashes UNTIL I use the second screen :( It doesn't make any sense. The second screen can even be on. As long as I do not mouse over to it and do something, it won't crash. Plays everything perfectly aside from that and no overheating.

Only thing I can think of is the power supply. The way I have it powered is horrible. one is a 4pin to 8 pin PCI-E adapter coming off a case fan... :(

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Only thing I can think of is the power supply. The way I have it powered is horrible. one is a 4pin to 8 pin PCI-E adapter coming off a case fan... :(
clint_ew.gif

• 2Like

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
What the fuck kind of jury rigged shit is that

You don't need a 175 dollar titanium power supply. Just get something gold

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Haha well, my 770 worked fine with it. I think I got the adapter cable for that from Gigabyte. It's a Molex 4 pin (2) to 8 pin PCI-E and somoe other shit. I should take a picture so I can see more Clint Eastwood pics.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Purchased thanks buddy :) Sorry Mist I cannot picture spending +$100 on a PS :)

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I would've told you to get a bronze but that price is really good.

Incoming people telling me a bronze psu will blow your pc up

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It won't blow up your pc but shrinks you epeen, which is probably worse than your pc blowing up.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I would've told you to get a bronze but that price is really good.

Incoming people telling me a bronze psu will blow your pc up
with that rebate, isn't that cheaper than the bronze SuperNOVA? is there a bronze one? i just know the SuperNOVA is the new hotness ppl recommend for PSU's.