Desktop Computers

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
AMD up another 10% today. People are really speculating hard on Zen !!
Zen wasnt the reason today, Bank of America changed their rating from sell to buy with a $12 price target. Who knows what the stock will due tuesday when Zen is demoed.

WHEN DO I SELL?!

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Zen wasnt the reason today, Bank of America changed their rating from sell to buy with a $12 price target. Who knows what the stock will due tuesday when Zen is demoed.

WHEN DO I SELL?!

It was up 9% the day prior too though. Wish I would have had this one on my radar!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
kaby lake is a flop

Introduction
Similar chips running at similar clocks have similar performance. Who would have guessed?

Kaby Lake mobile is pretty great; there's some classes of devices that have 20% improved performance and literally twice the battery life.

I am far more interested to see what Z270 boards are like.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's funny that monitors are like the main source of innovation in the PC space now. Nobody would have guessed that 4 years ago.

Arica-Jade

Lord Nagafen Raider
So, I have a new samsung ssd. My old ssd is still working fine. My question is, should I continue to use my old ssd for my os and the new one for gaming/movies? Will that improve my experience?

Thanks

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
So, I have a new samsung ssd. My old ssd is still working fine. My question is, should I continue to use my old ssd for my os and the new one for gaming/movies? Will that improve my experience?

Thanks
  • Use the old ssd for OS and common applications
  • Use the new faster ssd for work stuff & windows paging file (video editing files & your 3ds max stuff). With video editing you *might* want to leave some extra spare unpartitioned capacity on the SSD (to increase longevity)....
  • Stuff whatever games you play on whatever spare ssd space.
  • Movies can and should be on the slowest old, cheap, media possible. You need just enough bandwidth to stream it off the drive to watch , and no more. Movies on SSD = wasted space and capacity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

Thanks
what new ssd, and what old ssd and what motherboard you got? 99% sure, you should migrate your system over to new ssd at least, sizes of both?

if anything use old ssd for secondary system or old laptop.

Arica-Jade

Lord Nagafen Raider
Thank you, wilkxus. I will do a fresh install on the crucial m4 for os and other apps like web browsers and such. Will put 3ds max and maya on the new ssd with CC.

old ssd -> crucial m4 256gb 6Gb/s
new ssd -> Samsung evo 500gb 6Gb/s

mobo -> asus maxims impact viii

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Thank you, wilkxus. I will do a fresh install on the crucial m4 for os and other apps like web browsers and such. Will put 3ds max and maya on the new ssd with CC.
Just a suggestion... I am not sure if its worth reinstalling OS on new SSD to shave off.... perhaps (random guess) half a second off boot?
You can just plop in the Samsung EVO as a fast data drive and put your paging file on there. Takes no work this way.
If you want to reinstall some apps (from the existing Cruicial Windows install) and their work directories onto the new Samsung drive.....well thats just a quick and easy application reconfigure. No real need or benefit from a complete reinstall.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Whats Zen?
Zen is looking to be the Ticket to PC customers to upgrade their old computers at a good price in the coming year!
IF Zen turns out half decent it might finally put some downward pressure on prices of existing CPU stocks. Prices have been so ridiculously stable my 8 core system with 32 gb of ram would cost me more today than when I got it on a good deal 4 years ago.

New cheap PCIe ssds, ddr4 ram with new Intel or AMD cpu are starting to look enticing for me in 2017/18.

After looking at initial Intel reviews, appears Intel is trying hard to make things easier for AMD by releasing stuff with virtually nonexistant added value over previous two gens. Perhaps Intel are angling for a good deal with AMD in terms of AMDs graphics IP they would like to use =)

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Intel has had more than a decade of monopoly on performance. Monopolies tend to keep innovation at a minimum. We need AMD competing again. Back when we had AMD's FX lineup of the mid-2000s toppling Intel's performance crown. Shots were bring fired by both companies driving innovation and performance boundaries. We, the customer, were the winners.

Growing more and more processor cores is great and all, but we need to see raw processor speed (GHz) increases. We have sat around the 3-4 GHz mark for an eternity now. I know all of the power / heat / dissipation obstacles that stand in the way of that on current tech, but this is what needs the greatest change.
The Ghz race days are over for good on silicon. Only architecture and minor microarchitecture improvments and new RAM technologies are on the horizon.
Those architectual gains are and will continue to be hampered by lagging development in the software ecosystem.
Microarchitectural gains in IPC, by squeezing more instruction level parallelism of sequential code streams has hitting a wall too. Recent releases of Intel CPUs kinda show that writing on the wall. I really doubt Intel is holding back any significant ILP microarchitecture improvments.

The gains that remain are higly application specific and of limited general interest. Significant development is needed at the software and compiler and tooling level to let some limited software take advantage of any new architecural improvments. For special cases of embarassingly parallel applications things might improve, but overall improvments will be much harder to come by nowdays. New types of ram technologies on the horizon might help feed cpus faster for certain bandwidth starved applications perhaps but otherwise...... threading will not get easier to code, or much faster per core.

Once AMD and ARM catch up in the IPC race things will get really boring. In the medium to long term this might prove BAD for new hardware prices.... but GOOD IMO for OS, and software and tools and compiler developers. Better compilers and tooling might help developers make better use of a more stable and attractive hardware target to optimize their applications and operating systems for. Users should start getting more software that uses the hardware already there much more efficiently.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
After looking at initial Intel reviews, appears Intel is trying hard to make things easier for AMD by releasing stuff with virtually nonexistant added value over previous two gens. Perhaps Intel are angling for a good deal with AMD in terms of AMDs graphics IP they would like to use =)
It's like Microsoft when they released the xbox one w/ all that multimedia shit, ppl were like, "da fuq"? i just want to play games yo.