Desktop Computers

Louis

Trakanon Raider
So this morning my brother relayed to me that my fiance bought me this Amazon.com: BenQ XL2540 XL Series 25" Screen LED-lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories for Christmas . I play a bunch of fps, so I do have use for it but I question whether my system can make use of that refresh rate. My computer has a 1060 + i5 6600k and was built like 2 weeks ago.

My knowledge about monitors is pretty limited aside from what I've just read this morning. Questioning whether I should try to return the 1060 and grab a 1070 now. From everything I've read I'm kind of doubting the difference between 144 to 240 to be minimal, but since it's a gift I'm just gonna go with it. Anyone happen to get one of these yet?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Max overwatch on my 6700k and 1070 is around 200 to 240 fps. If I dropped some settings I'm sure I'd consistently hit 240.

Other more demanding games im not sure. Counters trike would be easy

I really like the 1070, I think it'll be this generations workhorse

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Max overwatch on my 6700k and 1070 is around 200 to 240 fps. If I dropped some settings I'm sure I'd consistently hit 240.

Other more demanding games im not sure. Counters trike would be easy

I really like the 1070, I think it'll be this generations workhorse

That was the slight push I needed to swap it out.

Apollo64

N00b
So this morning my brother relayed to me that my fiance bought me this Amazon.com: BenQ XL2540 XL Series 25" Screen LED-lit Monitor: Computers & Accessories for Christmas . I play a bunch of fps, so I do have use for it but I question whether my system can make use of that refresh rate. My computer has a 1060 + i5 6600k and was built like 2 weeks ago.

My knowledge about monitors is pretty limited aside from what I've just read this morning. Questioning whether I should try to return the 1060 and grab a 1070 now. From everything I've read I'm kind of doubting the difference between 144 to 240 to be minimal, but since it's a gift I'm just gonna go with it. Anyone happen to get one of these yet?

This monitor should be great for anyone playing CS:GO, Overwatch and older fps games.

Louis

Trakanon Raider
This monitor should be great for anyone playing CS:GO, Overwatch and older fps games.

Sucks because I got home yesterday and she said "the thing I ordered you won't be in for Christmas, so I canceled it and ordered something like it." She doesn't know anything about monitors or that I knew what she ordered so I'm guessing it's a 144hz instead. Half disappointed half happy I can just stick with the machine I have now and not need to go through the trouble of upgrading.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I built a nas using nas4free and an old 32 bit cpu I had sitting around. Running an ESXi server and a gang of VMs plus using it for network storage, never had issues.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Sucks because I got home yesterday and she said "the thing I ordered you won't be in for Christmas, so I canceled it and ordered something like it." She doesn't know anything about monitors or that I knew what she ordered so I'm guessing it's a 144hz instead. Half disappointed half happy I can just stick with the machine I have now and not need to go through the trouble of upgrading.

You are a brave man. There's zero chance that I'd ever let my wife pick out computer parts or electronics for me. Just like I wouldn't pick out shoes or clothing for her without her input.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Louis

Trakanon Raider
You are a brave man. There's zero chance that I'd ever let my wife pick out computer parts or electronics for me. Just like I wouldn't pick out shoes or clothing for her without her input.

She went to my brother for advice, because like you said I'd probably end up with a crt come christmas morning otherwise. He said he gave her 3 options, so she probably just went down the list to the next one.

wilkxus

<Bronze Donator>
Looks like a nod is in order to AMD engineers. Well, it only took a decade, but given the preview clocks, power and performance RyZen appears close or better than parity in *some* instances, and achieved on a shoestring AMD R&D budget.
Brilliance of Jim Keller & finally a decent engineer &CEO with Lisa T Su?
Might be ka$hing time for people who are still holding cheapo AMD stock.

I was expecting worse but probably upon release real world benchmarks will humble it into a decent but close 2nd place.

Still, tis an early christmas of sort heh, cmon CPU upgrades!

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Will a small NAS not do or do you want a big box?
At $145 its as expensive as budget 2bays but obviously massively more capable, and significantly cheaper than good 2bays, let alone 4bays. Seems only advantage of going with a actual nasbox would be the simplicity v having to setup windows+raid+build it.