Desktop Computers

Synj

Dystopian Dreamer
<Gold Donor>
I have an extra pair of Energy CB-5s that aren't doing anything and was thinking about using them for my PC.

What do I need to buy to make that happen?

This is Amazon's Choice:
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-T...-2&keywords=desktop+amplifier#customerReviewshttps://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-T...-2&keywords=desktop+amplifier#customerReviews
https://www.amazon.com/SMSL-50Wx2-T...-2&keywords=desktop+amplifier#customerReviews
Considerations:
I'm okay spending money on something more if it will be worth it ($250-500 but I really like bang for my buck so if there's a cheap option that ticks 95% of what I need, I'm fine with that).
I like audio but I'm not an audiophile. I don't need bleeding edge or esoteric.
I'd like to maybe upgrade and add a sub at some point which I know won't be an option with this unit.
My office isn't conducive to surround sound, so 2.1 is where I'll be living.

Suggestions welcome and thank you!

loudgas

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Seems like you people can only talk about one thing, this thread has gotten a few hundred views since I posted message and all I'm hearing is crickets, wtf?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
We have no idea what the best use of your free stuff is. It will not fit a full sized GPU in the case?

loudgas

The computer is an Optiplex 5050, so it is a small form factor case and also the pcie x16 slot butts up again the power supply so even taking the case cover off wouldn't help unless I were to remove the power supply.

If I remove the p/s it would work, ugly but functional. Shame as its a nice looking case imo.

In any event I'm leaning towards picking up a motherboard and harvesting the cpu/ram

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The cheap Asrock boards are best for the price range if you're looking to go cheap.

loudgas

Everything will be kept, what isn't used will go onto my parts shelf.

The psu in the optiplex is proprietary, so it will stay with the case. I was considering turning it into a little ESXi server but I will probably do that with my current system instead.

One additional thing I found which may have been option 4 is an x16 riser cable extension however I have pretty much settled on a motherboard...MSI - B250M MORTAR Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (B250M MORTAR) - PCPartPicker Canada

or possibly Gigabyte - GA-H270M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard (GA-H270M-DS3H) - PCPartPicker Canada

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
EVGA is just shipping me a 1080 I guess for the RMA on my 980 TI. 650$ deposit for them to send the card first, but over all this seems great? Huzzah for warranties I guess.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

nazon

Molten Core Raider
Been using a 24inch 144hz BenQ XL2430 monitor for the last 6 months which was already a big upgrade from 60hz. I am thinking of upgrading to 27inch 165hz 2560x1440 Asus PG278QR. Is there anyone here with this monitor that recommends it? Would love to eventually run three of these but it might be over kill.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I've got the PG279QR and love it. So not exactly the same but pretty close

Louis

Trakanon Raider
4494_1517340058798.jpeg
4498_1517340061081.jpeg
I showed my fiance this ridiculous monitor last week for a laugh. So happens my birthday was this past weekend and she up and bought it for me. Thing is unreal.

It has free sync 2 capability, but unfortunately? I have a nvidia card. Just went and looked to see what card prices are now and am kind of pissed and cant come to terms with paying those premium prices.

Edit - 2nd pic didnt have display settings set correctly.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users