Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
bb has 12tb reds for 220, thats a way better deal per tb

of course if you can wait, you get better deals if you scour slickdeals or you want to shuck and external drive

Yeah, I figured I'd start with 2 x 6TB (which I actually found a better deal on Amazon for $117 per) and now that I have 4 bays I can pick up two more 16 TB when I run out of space. I think this NAS has a max of 64 TB.

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Alright pals, appreciate the advice given earlier in the thread. Went $100 over budget and then added a 144hz 1440 monitor so walking out at around $1800. I think overall this is a much better build now that I've taken the time to read deeper into it. I could probably save money if I waited as suggested, but I figure for what I'm getting this is a decent price. I'm tempted to skimp on the CPU cooler a bit since I likely wont overclock, might just be being cheap there though as OCing could extend the lifetime of processor if I'm reasonable.

1660760685177.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Alright pals, appreciate the advice given earlier in the thread. Went $100 over budget and then added a 144hz 1440 monitor so walking out at around $1800. I think overall this is a much better build now that I've taken the time to read deeper into it. I could probably save money if I waited as suggested, but I figure for what I'm getting this is a decent price. I'm tempted to skimp on the CPU cooler a bit since I likely wont overclock, might just be being cheap there though as OCing could extend the lifetime of processor if I'm reasonable.

View attachment 428562
why you getting a whimpy ass u12s? at least get the d15 if you want to go w/ noctua vs bequiet

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Just as a reminder, I prefaced my suggestions with trying to keep in his 1500 price point. I mean you can keep offering suggestions on more expensive shit, but it all comes back down to being affordable for him. That Noctua's 50 CFPM in a well ventilated case is more than enough. Key words "well ventilated case." Same goes for buying a 970 over a 990.

Flobee Flobee If you want to spend the 30-40 bucks more on the D15, it would be worth it. Just like the upgrade you did for the video card. But again, this was all about budget which is what I asked in the first place. Lol Overall, it looks like a solid computer.

This. I had a U12S for a brief period on my 5800x and while it worked, it was very far from ideal.
I somehow doubt he does even a fraction of the shit you do on your computer. :trump:

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Honestly, even the boxed AMD cooler is enough if you don't OC, have an airflow case and only game and don't really care about your CPU temps. However, I concur that once you decide to buy a Noctua, you should go big dick.

There are two D15 versions, the big D15 and the slightly smaller D15s with more compatability. I would almost alway buy the latter, because Noctua is very good in support and sends out kits for new sockets:

Also: These things are fucking massive and weigh ... let me check for freedom units: 2.91 lb and 2.53 lb for the D15s.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. Swapped out the cooler for the Deepcool as suggested which is basically the same cost. Overall I went $100 over my original build budget which I'm ok with. The monitor was a separate deal for me so wasn't counting that against my $1500 price. The older I get the harder it is to justify to myself building a PC to play games. Been long overdue though. Thanks for the assist pals, much appreciated.

• 2Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
  • 2Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Honestly, even the boxed AMD cooler is enough if you don't OC, have an airflow case and only game and don't really care about your CPU temps. However, I concur that once you decide to buy a Noctua, you should go big dick.

There are two D15 versions, the big D15 and the slightly smaller D15s with more compatability. I would almost alway buy the latter, because Noctua is very good in support and sends out kits for new sockets:

Also: These things are fucking massive and weigh ... let me check for freedom units: 2.91 lb and 2.53 lb for the D15s.
160718-Engine-Hoist-310886674.jpg

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Went ahead and pulled the trigger on this. Swapped out the cooler for the Deepcool as suggested which is basically the same cost. Overall I went $100 over my original build budget which I'm ok with. The monitor was a separate deal for me so wasn't counting that against my $1500 price. The older I get the harder it is to justify to myself building a PC to play games. Been long overdue though. Thanks for the assist pals, much appreciated.

Only going $100 over your target is not bad at all. It's rare when I don't go over on a build except for the times I'm building for someone with no budget flexibility.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I was almost planning to not upgrade anything until i saw Samsung Arc - now i feel ill need a 4090.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
So, the Synology 420+ came in last night and I got it all setup. But, I made the mistake of making it a RAID 1 configuration (just followed their recommended settings), which took my 12TB and turned it into 5.5TB. So, I've deleted my pool/volumes and started over with just the Regular setup and no RAID configuration, so each HD will just be it's own thing.

My main question, is how should I set up the pool/volumes? Should there be one pool with individual HD as volumes? Or should each HD be its own pool? Or does it matter?

I just want to throw movies/shows on a HD and the language they use for everything isn't super familiar. The RAID setting are easy enough, but this UX isn't that straightforward, even though the UI is easymode.

Capture.PNG

Kiki

Log Wizard
So, the Synology 420+ came in last night and I got it all setup. But, I made the mistake of making it a RAID 1 configuration (just followed their recommended settings), which took my 12TB and turned it into 5.5TB. So, I've deleted my pool/volumes and started over with just the Regular setup and no RAID configuration, so each HD will just be it's own thing.

My main question, is how should I set up the pool/volumes? Should there be one pool with individual HD as volumes? Or should each HD be its own pool? Or does it matter?

One pool is fine. You might consider raid 5 or 1 on 4 drives in case one ever fails. We also used to buy hdds from different vendors to get different lots so they didn't fail at the same time.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>

I just want to throw movies/shows on a HD and the language they use for everything isn't super familiar. The RAID setting are easy enough, but this UX isn't that straightforward, even though the UI is easymode.

View attachment 428865

For mine I went with the default QNAP settings, which was RAID 1. I wanted to have some redundancy in there since the NAS also stores a copy of some important stuff in addition to my media.

For Plex it's simplest to have it all be one volume. That way you don't have to worry about your different libraries possibly spanning multiple directories. It probably wouldn't be too big a deal, but I want to give Plex as few opportunities to fuck up as possible.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
For mine I went with the default QNAP settings, which was RAID 1. I wanted to have some redundancy in there since the NAS also stores a copy of some important stuff in addition to my media.

For Plex it's simplest to have it all be one volume. That way you don't have to worry about your different libraries possibly spanning multiple directories. It probably wouldn't be too big a deal, but I want to give Plex as few opportunities to fuck up as possible.
i personally like to keep my important info on a totally separate physical drive from the media