Desktop Computers

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
For mine I went with the default QNAP settings, which was RAID 1. I wanted to have some redundancy in there since the NAS also stores a copy of some important stuff in addition to my media.

For Plex it's simplest to have it all be one volume. That way you don't have to worry about your different libraries possibly spanning multiple directories. It probably wouldn't be too big a deal, but I want to give Plex as few opportunities to fuck up as possible.

Yeah, I picked several wrong RAID setups before I settled on JBOD, which puts all my drives in one pool w no redundancy.

But, I can't find the Synology NAS on my network. I plugged it into my PC with the Cat5. Should I instead plug it into my Alien Router or something different?

Synology Assistant is working and says the NAS is connected and I can mess around with everything in the browser. But, I don't yet have a way of adding media to it. What am I missing?

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Yeah, I picked several wrong RAID setups before I settled on JBOD, which puts all my drives in one pool w no redundancy.

But, I can't find the Synology NAS on my network. I plugged it into my PC with the Cat5. Should I instead plug it into my Alien Router or something different?

Synology Assistant is working and says the NAS is connected and I can mess around with everything in the browser. But, I don't yet have a way of adding media to it. What am I missing?

It's absolutely supposed to be plugged in to the router.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?

As mentioned above, plug it into the router (specifically, the one of the LAN ports on your router).

To add media to it - I do not have specific experience with Synology, but the goal is to create a shared folder(s) on the NAS that you then copy your files to. You will have control over the permissions of the shared folder. For example, your media folder could have read/write permissions for everyone on the network but your important data files might be read for everyone, but write (and delete) just for you.

Also going to add the obligatory NAS and RAID are necessarily backups. Regardless of the type of configuration of the disks on the NAS (JBoD, Mirror, Raid 5, etc), if that is the only copy of the data, it is not a back-up. You could have 9 drives mirroring your single data drive (and thus suffer 9 complete drive failuers before any data loss) but if you accidentally delete a file you did not mean to it will erased from all 10 drives. You may not have the time/space/money to have multiple redundant copies of all of your data, but at least consider another method of backing up your important files. Encrypted cloud storage, external HDD that you store at another location, etc.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Are you talking about the "Ark"? This thing?
FITiwYgVUAIMBVN
Yeah lol but I’d leave it in its normal orientation.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
For moving media to my NAS, I just have it mapped as a network drive on my main PC. Simple drag and drop with in windows explorer.

• 1Solidarity

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
For moving media to my NAS, I just have it mapped as a network drive on my main PC. Simple drag and drop with in windows explorer.

Okay cool.

I'm using \\NAS\Media\Movies as the file location for Plex. The network folder path should look something like that correct?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Are you talking about the "Ark"? This thing?
FITiwYgVUAIMBVN
So it turns out this thing is actually useless because it only supports 1 external input for the multiview/picture-by-picture modes. So you can't use it to display 3 or 4 inputs, you can only run other Samsung apps or screen mirrors from the other devices.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
Okay cool.

I'm using \\NAS\Media\Movies as the file location for Plex. The network folder path should look something like that correct?

Yup. Same will go for TV and Music if you set up libraries for those.

• 1Like

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
So it turns out this thing is actually useless because it only supports 1 external input for the multiview/picture-by-picture modes. So you can't use it to display 3 or 4 inputs, you can only run other Samsung apps or screen mirrors from the other devices.
Yeah, it would be really nice if you could run stuff from multiple inputs at the same time

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, it would be really nice if you could run stuff from multiple inputs at the same time
The funny thing is, there's a bunch of monitors that do that, and then they come out with this monitor, where you'd actually want to do that, and don't support it.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
computer died over the weekend. It was alrady giving me issues

so i went ahead and got
1661186166960.png

no video card for now, I am goign to use my old 1660 until the prices come down some more, probably going to get a 3090 once it gets to the $700 range.

• 1Like

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm

so i went ahead and got
View attachment 429258

no video card for now, I am goign to use my old 1660 until the prices come down some more, probably going to get a 3090 once it gets to the $700 range.
Make sure that Mobo is from a supplier thats already handled the overheating recall. Pretty sure thats the one, anyways.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
I hope the AIO is compatible with the motherboard and CPU, I keep reading it needs external screws, even though the MB says LGA 1700 * Designed with dual mounting holes compatible with both Intel LGA1700 and LGA1200 cooling brackets.

This PC is built so I don't need to replace anything it for 5-10 years.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Holy shit bro, $1800 for shit that will be obsolete by the time you get it in the mail, loool.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

so i went ahead and got
View attachment 429258

That's way too much for a fucking motherboard unless you plan on overclocking the shit out of a CPU that you can't really overclock... so yeah, don't.

Also you're probably better off buying lower latency memory than overpaying for higher clock speed memory.

And you really don't need 2 kits, DDR5 is likely to just keep getting better as far as timings and clock speeds are concerned, no reason to overspend on it now.

• 1Truth!