Desktop Computers

Haus

<Silver Donator>
OK. Had a nice windfall (read, big commission check) at work and decided Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus needed a new gaming rig (Keeping the woman who makes your dinner happy is a key to life folks...) So I picked her up this one :

Runs like a sexy beast, everything is fantastic on load times thanks to the PCIe drive, etc... 4070 hums along nicely... looks goregeous. One problem.

It seems that no matter what I do it won't get the LAN connection past 100mbps. We have cat6 through our house, and her previous system, on the same port, on the same cable, was clocking 1G. I used a USB-c to ethernet adapter that I use with my laptop, on my laptop it gets 1G, on her new system (yes it has a rear USB-C port) it gets 100mbps. I checked the auto-negotiate settings on the card, and manually set them to 1G. No bueno....

Anybody else run into a problem like this one? Only variables here are that it's a new system, and that it's running Win11 (previous system was on Win10).

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I love MSI boards, the Ace and the Gigabyte Xtreme are my go to boards - i hate MSI software but their boards have never failed me.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
OK. Had a nice windfall (read, big commission check) at work and decided Mrs. Haus Mrs. Haus needed a new gaming rig (Keeping the woman who makes your dinner happy is a key to life folks...) So I picked her up this one :

Runs like a sexy beast, everything is fantastic on load times thanks to the PCIe drive, etc... 4070 hums along nicely... looks goregeous. One problem.

It seems that no matter what I do it won't get the LAN connection past 100mbps. We have cat6 through our house, and her previous system, on the same port, on the same cable, was clocking 1G. I used a USB-c to ethernet adapter that I use with my laptop, on my laptop it gets 1G, on her new system (yes it has a rear USB-C port) it gets 100mbps. I checked the auto-negotiate settings on the card, and manually set them to 1G. No bueno....

Anybody else run into a problem like this one? Only variables here are that it's a new system, and that it's running Win11 (previous system was on Win10).

Did you do a fresh OS install?

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Did you do a fresh OS install?
Not yet, That's starting to look like an option, but I will go last resort on that. Tonight I'm going to cook up a nice fresh linux thumb drive, boot it off that and see how it negotiates as to isolate if it's a windows 11 OS issue.

If linux also only goes to 100mbps, then I might box it back up, haul it back to Microcenter and force a reroll/swap on them.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Not yet, That's starting to look like an option, but I will go last resort on that. Tonight I'm going to cook up a nice fresh linux thumb drive, boot it off that and see how it negotiates as to isolate if it's a windows 11 OS issue.

If linux also only goes to 100mbps, then I might box it back up, haul it back to Microcenter and force a reroll/swap on them.
it's the fucking intel i225 chip

i had a fuck nugget issue to resolve it following all these steps on win10, somehow on a new install of win11 those drivers just worked

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This piece of trash Gamebryo engine is whipping my poor 5 year old computer's ass. I've got an i7-9700K and GTX 1080 Ti and it's just not cutting it. Looking to spend ~1500. Not sure if I want to build a totally new one or just replace parts.

I've put together about 10ish computers over the years, is that still the right way to go about it? Is it a good idea to buy used parts on ebay? My GTX 1080 Ti was used from Ebay and has been fine.
9700k was a bad CPU. Hated mine.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
it's the fucking intel i225 chip

i had a fuck nugget issue to resolve it following all these steps on win10, somehow on a new install of win11 those drivers just worked
This is a fresh win11 install (or well.. whatever the factory image install was). I noticed that most of those threads are 2 years old. Wonder if I'm going to need to revert to 2 year old drivers. heh

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
This is a fresh win11 install (or well.. whatever the factory image install was). I noticed that most of those threads are 2 years old. Wonder if I'm going to need to revert to 2 year old drivers. heh
well if it helps my current i225v driver is

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm using 1.0.2.22 from 7/28/2021 and it gets 1Gbps which is what i get from my FIOS. Because it worked I refused to touch it so I have no idea if it would have issues at full 2.5 Gbps due to the i225-V

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm using 1.0.2.22 from 7/28/2021 and it gets 1Gbps which is what i get from my FIOS. Because it worked I refused to touch it so I have no idea if it would have issues at full 2.5 Gbps due to the i225-V
yup, i gave up 2.5 gbps, it was such shit, i was happy i was getting a gimped 1gbps

hell i had a week of fustration and said fuck it i'll use wifi6e (cuz the wifi was instant), and it was great, but i really had to fix the i225 driver for peace of mind

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Man the case game has come a long way since I last bought one in 2010. Even a budget case like this Be Quiet one everything is removable. You don't have a stack of HD bays you don't need. And you can just remove the entire optical bay too.

6 fans now + 3 on my GPU, controlled by the hub that came with the corsair liquid cooler. Now I have all this in a significantly smaller case and still more space available. A 4080 for example would have had a really really hard time fitting in my old case.

This one is just bland and black too. No lights or other gay shit. Just like a cranky old man needs.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
This piece of trash Gamebryo engine is whipping my poor 5 year old computer's ass. I've got an i7-9700K and GTX 1080 Ti and it's just not cutting it. Looking to spend ~1500. Not sure if I want to build a totally new one or just replace parts.

I've put together about 10ish computers over the years, is that still the right way to go about it? Is it a good idea to buy used parts on ebay? My GTX 1080 Ti was used from Ebay and has been fine.
I may be willing to part with my 3080ti when I get a 4080 in some time if interested Sir.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
The number of times recently I've almost pulled the trigger on a 4090 and haven't is pretty wild. The money isn't an issue, I just can't justify needing it with how little I actually game these days. I want it, I just don't really need it. My 2080 still manages fine

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
The number of times recently I've almost pulled the trigger on a 4090 and haven't is pretty wild. The money isn't an issue, I just can't justify needing it with how little I actually game these days. I want it, I just don't really need it. My 2080 still manages fine

Yeah. I kind of regret uprading my PC when I did lol.

I have a fully kitted PC w a 3080 just sitting under my kitchen island. LAWL.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Use it to make AI Tiddies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
I finally put together a new PC after 8+ years with my prior setup and jumped from a 27" 1080p monitor to a 42" LG C3 OLED.

I started off with a 4080, and while it was extremely impressive, it struggled a bit with maintaining high FPS in certain games at max settings. If I'm spending 4 figures on a fucking GPU I'm not looking to shrug off anything less than consistently stellar performance. I sent it back and picked up a 4090 instead. Problem solved. With a small core and moderate memory overclock this thing has shredded everything I've thrown at it so far. I think for 1440p the 4080 would have been fine. At 4K the extra horsepower of the 4090 is easily worth it. If my wallet's already taking it up the ass, what's an extra inch of penetration?

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I finally put together a new PC after 8+ years with my prior setup and jumped from a 27" 1080p monitor to a 42" LG C3 OLED.

I started off with a 4080, and while it was extremely impressive, it struggled a bit with maintaining high FPS in certain games at max settings. If I'm spending 4 figures on a fucking GPU I'm not looking to shrug off anything less than consistently stellar performance. I sent it back and picked up a 4090 instead. Problem solved. With a small core and moderate memory overclock this thing has shredded everything I've thrown at it so far. I think for 1440p the 4080 would have been fine. At 4K the extra horsepower of the 4090 is easily worth it. If my wallet's already taking it up the ass, what's an extra inch of penetration?

What do you use to overclock?