Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I havent even used my new build yet. I need something else to work on, white and gold?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
7800 XT are out with comparable performance and pricing to the 6950 XT, the $570 Sapphire Nitro version scores amazingly well on the cooling but is backordered til October delivery

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So I’m looking at a gaming PC to use with my home theater system. (Looking high end for 4K gaming) My OLED supports 2.1 (2022 LG C1). I’d run hdmi directly to the TV from the gaming PC. How are most people handling sound? Right now my receiver only supports hdmi 2.0 so wasn’t sure if the best route for audio to the receiver was separate optical cable to the receiver from the sound card - or, if I upgraded the receiver as well (which I need to do at some point) if it is even possible to run eArc from the PC to the OLED back to the receiver?

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Shouldnt it be eARC to receiver and PC to TV?

HDMI running audio return to the receiver from the TV (from device)

IE I have my PS5 running direct to the TV for hdmi 2.1 (arc input) running that back from the TV out to the receiver hdmi arc input for audio pass through.

(we may have said the same thing)

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
These new PC component prices are going to make building a new PC every 4 years a challenge.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
These new PC component prices are going to make building a new PC every 4 years a challenge.

Yeah. I usually build but I now see some good builds at Microcenter that I do not need to waste time with anymore.

I might also just pay them to do it. There is something about having a sweet gaming PC hooked through the 65" OLED and sound system I have that would probably be the most epic gaming experience I have had yet. And, I can play from the couch.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jovec

?

Eh, I ended up rambling so I will spoiler the wall of text.

Prices are not too bad - it just depends on what components you currently have. 6700XT to 7700XT is a solid upgrade for a single gen, but 6800XT to 7800XT is basically 0%. We could call it stagnation, but anyone using a 3080 or 6800XT or higher doesn't need to upgrade this gen (unless they go 4090). People on 10/20 series NV, or 400/500/5000 AMD will see a 2x-5x increase just with the 7700XT. On the CPU side, Zen 3 AM4 is still fine for damn near everything (especially with a 5800X3D). On the Intel side the same for the 12/13000 series, but even 10000 and 11000 series users don't need to upgrade yet. The DDR5 bandwidth advantage is starting to show more clearly, but it's still not required unless you need every FPS. PCIE5 GPUs are nonexistent (and not needed) and Gen 5 NVMe drives are of little-to-no benefit in real-world usage, having worse random performance than good gen 4 drives. Be wary of chasing benchmarks - most reviews use either a 7800X3D or 13900K for GPU benchmarks and a 4090 for CPU benchmarks.

Being smart about when to buy helps too. AM5 launch pricing was high in regards to the total platform, but now there are reasonable mobo and DDR5 RAM deals. Or buy new stuff early in the life cycle and resell your existing pieces while they are still relevant. AMD typically has some strong game bundles too - I recently got The Last of Us, Jedi Survivor, and Starfield for the last three components I bought. Not useful to me, but for anyone planning to buy one of these games it's a nice discount.

CPU and GPU prices have pushed higher but that was to be expected. Even so, they still aren't too bad. I think I paid $300 for my 2700k and $400 for my 4790K - these were halo CPUs at the time and while not halo tier anymore, $300-$400 gets one plenty of CPU grunt today (5800X and 13600KF are under $300). Resources, manufacturing, and transportation/shipping simply cost more today, and the biggest issue is that CPUs and GPUs are competing for limited manufacturing capacity with Apple (who pays top dollar) and other cell manufactures and now AI cards. Memory and storage are still fairly cheap, and one can find decent cases, peripherals, CPU coolers, and fans for cheap too. Even the OS can be cheap (free).

AI is the biggest worry - Nvidia would rather use silicon for a $25,000+ AI accelerator than for 10 $500 gaming GPUs. The only thing keeping their prices "reasonable" is AMD and now Intel (which looks to be through the worst of their issues and their next GPU (Battlemage) should launch with decent drivers). AMD would make the same decision but they don't have the market share yet on their AI cards and likely never will. Intel is at least trying to expand their manufacturing to their former glory days which should help increase supply in the coming years.

I think frame gen (DLSS3/FSR3) is concerning, as NV and AMD might try to pair it as required with future, cut-down GPUs (while saving full dies for higher profit AI cards or halo products). I worry NV's 5000 series will have a clear split with the 5050/60 and lower basically requiring frame gen. 6000 series will push that to 6060/70 and lower, until the only option will be all gaming/consumer cards will require it while the pro-sumer/halo card(s) won't.

My new game machine, another generic OD11 XL w/Lian Li V2 Unis. 7800X3D, 7900XTX, 32GB DDR5 6000 C30, and 990 Pro. I think I am done with RGB and AIOs after this and will go back to air cooling when the next-gen NH-D15 finally launches (although the space savings around the socket/ram is great). Airflow has the bottom, side, and rear as intakes, with the top AIO as the only exhaust. I also have a rear intake located outside the case pushing air through the expansion card brackets below the GPU. I did this mainly to keep the hot exhaust air away from me since the case sits on a desk just to the right of my chair.

7800X3D.jpg

7800X3d-low-light.jpg

I have also been playing around with a 7950X. I might delid it and try the Thermal Grizzly High Performance Heatspreader. I did some testing on the Kyrosheet graphene pad and saw virtually no difference between using it and NT-H2 using a NH-D15 and a lidded 7950X. The zero maintainence/pump-out/repasting benefits seem like a good fit for systems I don't want to tinker with much.

• 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
So I’m looking at a gaming PC to use with my home theater system. (Looking high end for 4K gaming) My OLED supports 2.1 (2022 LG C1). I’d run hdmi directly to the TV from the gaming PC. How are most people handling sound? Right now my receiver only supports hdmi 2.0 so wasn’t sure if the best route for audio to the receiver was separate optical cable to the receiver from the sound card - or, if I upgraded the receiver as well (which I need to do at some point) if it is even possible to run eArc from the PC to the OLED back to the receiver?

HDMI from PC to receiver, HDMI from receiver to TV. No need for optical. The max optical can carry is plain Dolby Digital 5.1, no Atmos etc

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Getting weirdly high CPU readings on my gaming rig so I decided to reapply thermal paste this weekend. Now I know why, one of the AIO support bolts sheared off at the nub. Amazon to the rescue at least, new ones will be here Tuesday but I guess BG3 will have to wait. Time to fire up the PS5 again......

2 year old NZXT Kraken Z73 if anyone cares.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
980 Pros are higher than 990 Pros in price most places since they are dumping the old and looking at higher end Gen 4 models. 4TB models in the pipeline and Gen 5 for the future.

Last edited:

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Edit: tried here instead.

I'd like to do some gaming from my couch, but my gaming pc is ~8 meters away.

If I place a monitor on the table, would 10m HDMI 2.1 cable and 10m USB (5m + 5m extender cable) be a workable solution, if I want 1440p? Anyone tried something similar? I would plug the USB to the monitor USB and then also controller and headset to monitor USB. Did I miss something crucial?

Last edited:

gak

<Gold Donor>
2a.gif

MSI preparing "Beyond 6GHz" BIOS settings up to 6.3GHz for upcoming Intel 14th Gen Core CPUs - VideoCardz.com

MSI Z790 MEG ACE MAX up to 6.3 GHz with Core i9-14900K?

A screenshot of MSI’s newest Z790 ACE MAX motherboard reveals the company’s plans for easy overclocking options for new CPUs.

The MAX series refresh of the Z790 motherboard lineup introduces various changes to design, functionality, and connectivity. This marks the final update for the LGA-1700 platform before Intel transitions to the new LGA-1851 socket, and motherboard manufacturers are striving to make a lasting impression.

MSI is dedicated to simplifying the overclocking process for Intel K-series CPUs, presumably the upcoming refresh known as 14th Gen Core “Raptor Lake Refresh”. While this new feature, recently shared by hardware leaker chi11eddog, may be exclusive to the enthusiast-level MEG ACE series within the Z790 MAX boards, it highlights the potential of the upcoming platform.

It’s worth noting that the Core i9-14900K and KF models will be Intel’s first CPUs capable of reaching 6.0 GHz without belonging to the “Special Edition KS” series. Currently, only Intel’s Core i9-13900KS offers such high clock speeds at a premium price, making it the top desktop SKU from Intel.
The Core i9-14900K will provide a 6.0 GHz clock speed through the Thermal Velocity Boost feature to a wider audience, especially those who don’t plan on overclocking. However, enthusiasts can anticipate even greater overclocking potential, with companies like MSI suggesting the possibility of reaching a 6.3 GHz frequency with simple 1-click presets.

Intel Raptor Lake Refresh will be released in October, while MSI Z790 MAX motherboards should already be available in stores. It is worth adding that the ACE MAX model is set to cost $699, which is almost 15% pricier than the original ACE design at launch.

4a.jpg

• 3Worf
  • 3Like
Reactions: 5 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
View attachment 491779

For today's review, we take a look at MSI's MEG Z790 ACE MAX and MSI MAG Z790 Tomahawk MAX, both of which are aiming at the high-end market with prices of $699 and $329 US, respectively. We are still a month away from the launch of the Next-Gen CPUs so expect a revisit of these boards on the newer chips when they are available.

MSI MEG Z790 ACE MAX & MAG Z790 Tomahawk MAX Review - Upgrades Everywhere!

View attachment 491780
i remember when the bomb diggity abit nf7 super oc mb came out at over 100$ and ppl were in an uproar, but also it was amazing

Jovec

?
i remember when the bomb diggity abit nf7 super oc mb came out at over 100$ and ppl were in an uproar, but also it was amazing

There is an increased cost to newer motherboards (more power delivery, more complex sockets, more ports, more layers, traces and QC for higher PCIe and RAM speeds, etc), but I think manufacturers use mobos to subsidize their GPU business given how much Nvidia is known to charge. Make $50 profit on a $600 GPU or make $200 profit on a $400 mobo.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
There is an increased cost to newer motherboards (more power delivery, more complex sockets, more ports, more layers, traces and QC for higher PCIe and RAM speeds, etc), but I think manufacturers use mobos to subsidize their GPU business given how much Nvidia is known to charge. Make $50 profit on a $600 GPU or make $200 profit on a $400 mobo.
i mean the same could obviously be said about cpu's increasing in transistors, but the price has generally stayed the same, my last intel chip i bought was a p2 350mhz, and that was only b/c i was part of an intel partner program i got it for 1/2 off for $300, so the retail price musta been $600 20years ago, an i9 is about the same price right now

Jovec

?
i mean the same could obviously be said about cpu's increasing in transistors, but the price has generally stayed the same, my last intel chip i bought was a p2 350mhz, and that was only b/c i was part of an intel partner program i got it for 1/2 off for $300, so the retail price musta been $600 20years ago, an i9 is about the same price right now

Which lost to a Celeron 300A running at 450 (full speed L2!) and cost less than $200. I also had a PII 400 or 450MHz and I don't recall paying anywhere near $600, but I can't find my buy price. Maybe AMD competion brought the prices down before I bought it. I think I also had a Cyrix CPU somewhere in that timeframe. I was the tech supplier for my friends back in the day and I had my system and had two other systems I had in the house for all of us to game on. There was even some decent GPU competition back then - I had Matrox w/Voodoo I and 2 and later TNT, but those other systems ran decent on a Verite Rendition and S3 Virge (IIRC). 1600x1200 CRTs. Even had bonded ISDN for internet.

There are plenty of reasonable motherboard options - just not usually at launch. They have also figured out that people will pay a premium for brand and image, just like cars, clothes, jewelry, phones, and a host of other things. Hell, Jayz2cents is always complaining about the cost of PC parts, and in his 14th gen video he is talking about switching out his 6 month old $700 7950X3D and $650 Crosshair Hero mobo. Regardless of his tech knowledge (or lack of) he's built a successful business in part pushing tech image. I am sure much of his build is sponsored/"loaned" from suppliers, but I also sure many of his 4 million subs want to keep up with the Jones (or Jays as it were). I am guilty of this myself too (uneccessary upgrades).

Last edited: