Desktop Computers

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Which lost to a Celeron 300A running at 450 (full speed L2!) and cost less than $200. I also had a PII 400 or 450MHz and I don't recall paying anywhere near $600, but I can't find my buy price. Maybe AMD competion brought the prices down before I bought it. I think I also had a Cyrix CPU somewhere in that timeframe. I was the tech supplier for my friends back in the day and I had my system and had two other systems I had in the house for all of us to game on. There was even some decent GPU competition back then - I had Matrox w/Voodoo I and 2 and later TNT, but those other systems ran decent on a Verite Rendition and S3 Virge (IIRC). 1600x1200 CRTs. Even had bonded ISDN for internet.

There are plenty of reasonable motherboard options - just not usually at launch. They have also figured out that people will pay a premium for brand and image, just like cars, clothes, jewelry, phones, and a host of other things. Hell, Jayz2cents is always complaining about the cost of PC parts, and in his 14th gen video he is talking about switching out his 6 month old $700 7950X3D and $650 Crosshair Hero mobo. Regardless of his tech knowledge (or lack of) he's built a successful business in part pushing tech image. I am sure much of his build is supposed/"loaned" from suppliers, but I also sure many of his 4 million subs want to keep up with the Jones (or Jays as it were). I am guilty of this myself too (uneccessary upgrades).
last i saw he was making some expanse theme rig

Jovec

?
last i saw he was making some expanse theme rig

He cites memory training issues. Intel has always had the better IMC. I don't have memory issues on my 7800X3D (2x16) or 7950X (2x32), but I run EXPO 6000 C30 sticks with no hand tuning/manual settings. Memory training can be a bit long but there is a BIOS setting to speed that up if you are not changing settings or RAM sticks. The newest Agesa is supposed to improved AM5 memory support beyond 6000.

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
They should update the bios on the regular z790 ace - fuckers - It looks identical, not paying extra for that feature with new chipset next year. I do however want the NV9 when it comes out,

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Microsoft forced a network driver update on my i225 which screwed it by default since auto negotiation only does 100/100. Manually set to 2.5Gbps which negotiated to 1000/1000 see if I have any additional issues.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Microsoft forced a network driver update on my i225 which screwed it by default since auto negotiation only does 100/100. Manually set to 2.5Gbps which negotiated to 1000/1000 see if I have any additional issues.

Huh… Was this in the last week? I think I noticed a drop on my end.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i was wondering why my network felt fucked, i did a few reboots and i guess somehow that knocked it back to 1000

checked now it's 1000

Pogi.G

Silver Baronet of the Realm
IMG_1901.jpeg

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
I'm a cheap, poor, broke bitch, and I'm finally upgrading from my 3570k which has been serving me like a champ for a decade.

I had my eye on a 5600X, and had pretty much made up my mind, but then looking at the i3 13100F made me second guess myself.

Better to go with the slightly more powerful 5600X or the cheaper I3 because it's newer and for upgrade potential in the future?

Or am I just an idiot and should get something else entirely? I've been out of this game for too long.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'm a cheap, poor, broke bitch, and I'm finally upgrading from my 3570k which has been serving me like a champ for a decade.

I had my eye on a 5600X, and had pretty much made up my mind, but then looking at the i3 13100F made me second guess myself.

Better to go with the slightly more powerful 5600X or the cheaper I3 because it's newer and for upgrade potential in the future?

Or am I just an idiot and should get something else entirely? I've been out of this game for too long.
Depends on your goals, access to certain retailers (micro center), flexibility in time and budget.

You are using an 11 year old processor, but are looking at upgrade potential?

IMO, once a budget build always a budget build. Don't bother with planning around upgrades because you're already not paying for existing performance. Also, don't over spec components, there's always those components like the 150$ case, sweet RGB, 80 series with entry level processing.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Jovec

?

i3 13100F with a DDR5 mobo has decent upgrade paths - currently can go up to a 13900k and next year the 14900k equivalent.

5600X can upgrade to a 5800X3D, but you will otherwise be on a dead platform and DDR4 memory.

If you want AMD upgrade paths look at the 7600/7600X and a B650 mobo and (by default) DDR5 RAM.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
For gaming, the GPU is like 90% of the performance. if the i3 will let you pick a higher tier video card and stay within budget, I'd do it.

Go AM5 if you want the best upgrade potential down the line. I've rarely found it to be worthwhile to plan for upgrades on intel platforms, they switch sockets every 2-3 generations and the high end ones (that everyone is looking to upgrade to) tend to stay really expensive even second hand. Might as well put that money towards a full platform upgrade because by then a new midrange cpu usually outperforms the older high end ones, at a lower energy/cooling cost.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Depends on your goals, access to certain retailers (micro center), flexibility in time and budget.

You are using an 11 year old processor, but are looking at upgrade potential?

IMO, once a budget build always a budget build. Don't bother with planning around upgrades because you're already not paying for existing performance. Also, don't over spec components, there's always those components like the 150$ case, sweet RGB, 80 series with entry level processing.

I mostly play FF14 and older games. FF14 is getting a graphical upgrade soon and I didn't like that Cyberpunk became unplayable for me with its latest expansion hence the upgrade. I'm in Japan so I only have access to big box and Amazon.

11 years ago an upgrade would set you back $1000 or more. Nowadays its so much cheaper, perhaps something I can do yearly or twice yearly.

This is good advice though. I already have case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, power supply, storage etc. I literally only need the Mobo, Cpu and Ram.

i3 13100F with a DDR5 mobo has decent upgrade paths - currently can go up to a 13900k and next year the 14900k equivalent.

5600X can upgrade to a 5800X3D, but you will otherwise be on a dead platform and DDR4 memory.

If you want AMD upgrade paths look at the 7600/7600X and a B650 mobo and (by default) DDR5 RAM.

Hmmm 7600x isn't that much more. It even pairs with the same Mobo and Ram I was thinking about (upgraded versions.) It would increase the cost by about 40% though. I need to think about it.

For gaming, the GPU is like 90% of the performance. if the i3 will let you pick a higher tier video card and stay within budget, I'd do it.

Go AM5 if you want the best upgrade potential down the line. I've rarely found it to be worthwhile to plan for upgrades on intel platforms, they switch sockets every 2-3 generations and the high end ones (that everyone is looking to upgrade to) tend to stay really expensive even second hand. Might as well put that money towards a full platform upgrade because by then a new midrange cpu usually outperforms the older high end ones, at a lower energy/cooling cost.

AM5 is 7600? It's a real option, hmm. I plan to pair it with the 1060 I have in this for now and look at upgrading to a 3060 or 4060 later.

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
AM5 is 7600? It's a real option, hmm. I plan to pair it with the 1060 I have in this for now and look at upgrading to a 3060 or 4060 later.

Yeah, the Ryzen 7000 series is the beginning of the AM5 socket, whereas the 5000 series was the last on AM4. There are no guarantees, but it's possible you'll be able to upgrade CPUs without changing the mobo later on. AM5 CPUs are DDR5 only though, they don't support both like current gen Intel.

Palum Palum made a very good point though. You went 11 years without a CPU/mobo upgrade. How likely are you to actually upgrade in even the next 5 years? If you're just going to do the CPU, mobo, and RAM now, I would get the best you can reasonably afford now.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
Yeah, the Ryzen 7000 series is the beginning of the AM5 socket, whereas the 5000 series was the last on AM4. There are no guarantees, but it's possible you'll be able to upgrade CPUs without changing the mobo later on. AM5 CPUs are DDR5 only though, they don't support both like current gen Intel.

Palum Palum made a very good point though. You went 11 years without a CPU/mobo upgrade. How likely are you to actually upgrade in even the next 5 years? If you're just going to do the CPU, mobo, and RAM now, I would get the best you can reasonably afford now.

Comes down to - I can do the 5600x now, but I'd have to wait a bit for the 7600x. 7600x + ram + mobo is roughly double the price here in Japan than the 5600 and that's not including the cooler you'd need. There's steep discounts right now on the 5000 stuff.

You're right though, once I'm set up with the 5600x I will probably get lazy again on upgrades, as much as I would like to think I could upgrade every year or so.

I seriously used Windows Vista until 2018 because I never had problems with it and I was too lazy to upgrade.

I can always re-visit in 2-3 years if I feel like the 5600x is slacking.

Thanks for all the help everyone!