Desktop Computers

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
ITT I suddenly realized that somehow Chysamere Chysamere was put on ignore which makes no sense. Must have accidentally clicked one day or blame my cat walking across the keyboard.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I already have case, monitor, keyboard, mouse, power supply, storage etc. I literally only need the Mobo, Cpu and Ram.
i would not bet on your power supply being up to snuff w/ modern components, it's been since covid since i built my old (i call it old) 5600 htpc and i remember it using 8pin mb aux power, i checked what mb your pc uses and it'd be something like a z77 board and they have 4pins, even tho some power supplies "back then" came w/ an 8pin that you can split into 2x4pin, i don't think anybody here would advocate you use a 10year old power supply.

not to mention, the 5600x is probably the upper limit of that power supply, most cpus are now using 8+4pins even 8+8pins

for reference these are the cpu power connections, usually referred to as eps cables
6a7553c2d51489f917ec3e24247069a9.png

it's the top left bank of 2x 8pin connectors, basically as cpus got more power hungry they added more pins to the atx connector from 20 to 20+4, then they added 4pin eps, then 8pin eps, etc...

i mean in all likely hood your powersupply has a split 2x4pin eps power and you can use tbh, now using that along w/ a "modern" video card, were getting even more sketchy

i just would not say you "have" a powersupply handy,

also storage, does that mean you never got a ssd either? and youre running on a regular "hard drive" that spins up and goes whirrr? cuz wow a ssd hard drive will change your life (of course we'd all say get a nvme).

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
i would not bet on your power supply being up to snuff w/ modern components, it's been since covid since i built my old (i call it old) 5600 htpc and i remember it using 8pin mb aux power, i checked what mb your pc uses and it'd be something like a z77 board and they have 4pins, even tho some power supplies "back then" came w/ an 8pin that you can split into 2x4pin, i don't think anybody here would advocate you use a 10year old power supply.

not to mention, the 5600x is probably the upper limit of that power supply, most cpus are now using 8+4pins even 8+8pins

for reference these are the cpu power connections, usually referred to as eps cables
6a7553c2d51489f917ec3e24247069a9.png

it's the top left bank of 2x 8pin connectors, basically as cpus got more power hungry they added more pins to the atx connector from 20 to 20+4, then they added 4pin eps, then 8pin eps, etc...

i mean in all likely hood your powersupply has a split 2x4pin eps power and you can use tbh, now using that along w/ a "modern" video card, were getting even more sketchy

i just would not say you "have" a powersupply handy,

also storage, does that mean you never got a ssd either? and youre running on a regular "hard drive" that spins up and goes whirrr? cuz wow a ssd hard drive will change your life (of course we'd all say get a nvme).

I just bought a new 650 watt power supply last year. Should be fine, especially since the 5600x stuff came out in 2020. Before that I had a thermaltake 750 watt toughpower that I used from 2003 to 2021.Thing lasted a lifetime. I checked the power draw for the new components and it's only like 300 watts draw including the graphics card. I should be fine.

I have two older intel SSD's, one for games and one for the OS, and two external large mechanical drives for backup storage and movies etc.

Edit: I believe this is what I have.

I also went ahead and got a MAG B550 TOMAHAWK motherboard. Looks like 24 pins to connect to the power supply which is no problem.

Last edited:

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
maybe say that next time b4 i go into why your 10yr old powersupply is trash in a nice way

I did say I had everything else covered already!

I'm pretty sure my 2003 power supply could have handled the new mobo honestly. I lucked out with the parts I've picked over time. That and the 3570k lasted me forever.

Jovec

?
I also went ahead and got a MAG B550 TOMAHAWK motherboard. Looks like 24 pins to connect to the power supply which is no problem.

So you are going the 5600X route. Keep your eye out for a cheap/used 5800X3D - it will be the biggest CPU gaming upgrade you can get on that platform. The 5600X should be fine even just using a 4-pin EPS/CPU power connector - it doesn't need the 8-pin. But it seems like you do have an 8-pin EPS so no worries there.

Chysamere

<WoW Guild Officer>
So you are going the 5600X route. Keep your eye out for a cheap/used 5800X3D - it will be the biggest CPU gaming upgrade you can get on that platform. The 5600X should be fine even just using a 4-pin EPS/CPU power connector - it doesn't need the 8-pin. But it seems like you do have an 8-pin EPS so no worries there.

They had a 30% discount on the mobo so kinda made the decision for me. Was able to pick it up for $120. Gonna wait for Amazon Prime day to see if I can get a discount on the Processor and Ram as well.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Newegg has been doing a combo bundle 12900K with ASUS TUF Z690 for $399 as stock becomes available. Probably will see microcenter do it as well with 14th gen arriving and they want to move 12th inventory. Typically they have plenty CPU and mobo and the bundle becomes active when whatever RAM they throw in the deal is available.

Caliane

^ That's a pretty decent deal.
that seems like a huge deal. anyone try these prebuilts? any issues with swapping out that vid card?

take that $300 discount, and get a rtx 4060 at least? which is the current version of that card.. or something else entirely.

I was looking at one of the suggested builds on pc part picker. price kept creeping up... probably out of my range.. fingers crossed on november knocking the price on some of this down.

Fucker

Log Wizard
that seems like a huge deal. anyone try these prebuilts? any issues with swapping out that vid card?

take that $300 discount, and get a rtx 4060 at least? which is the current version of that card.. or something else entirely.

I was looking at one of the suggested builds on pc part picker. price kept creeping up... probably out of my range.. fingers crossed on november knocking the price on some of this down.
I haven't. Ibuypower is so-so, but uses off the shelf parts.

Here's another. 4060. Has DDR4 ram but who cares. Good cpu too.

Kiki

Log Wizard

I have, I bought one for my wife. They are good for basic gamers. You will get generic mobo, generic ram, generic hdd unless it says otherwise. It may not have 3 pci x16 slots but you get what you pay for. Easy as any other machine to swap out parts. I changed the graphics card and added more RAM to the one she had on day 1.

If you are concerned about brands or mobo features it is better to do a custom config on their website, then you can choose your case and everything else as well.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I've been wanting to do a completely fresh build. Not for any particular reason, just have the itch. I'm really holding off for next gen though.

I kind of want to try a smaller form factor build, just out of curiosity. I feel like they've come a long ways

Fucker

Log Wizard
I've been wanting to do a completely fresh build. Not for any particular reason, just have the itch. I'm really holding off for next gen though.

I kind of want to try a smaller form factor build, just out of curiosity. I feel like they've come a long ways
14th gen 10 days away.

SFF fun to fiddle with. Not very fun to unfiddle with (upgrade a pain). I ended up putting it into a small tower.

Main PC got water cooling and Antec Performance 1 FT, Full Tower, RTX40 Fully Compatible, Temp Display, 4 x Storm T3 PWM Fans, Type-C, Dual TG Side Panels, Removable Top Bracket, High Airflow Mesh Front Panel, E-ATX PC Gaming Case

Love that case. AMAZING easy to use. HUGE.

Got EKWB Nucleus 360 AIO. Much wow/quality.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
14th gen 10 days away.

SFF fun to fiddle with. Not very fun to unfiddle with (upgrade a pain). I ended up putting it into a small tower.

Main PC got water cooling and Antec Performance 1 FT, Full Tower, RTX40 Fully Compatible, Temp Display, 4 x Storm T3 PWM Fans, Type-C, Dual TG Side Panels, Removable Top Bracket, High Airflow Mesh Front Panel, E-ATX PC Gaming Case

Love that case. AMAZING easy to use. HUGE.

Got EKWB Nucleus 360 AIO. Much wow/quality.
Why would you put a glass panel on the back, that's insane