Desktop Computers

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I have used only nvme drives for quite a while now. It's just so much easier. If I was building a NAS or something and really wanted a lot of storage I'd think about SSD's or HDD's, but unless you really need a lot of storage for something I just don't see the point.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I wont even build systems for others utilizing anything but NVMEs - I mean custom builds sure can use regular SSDs but if anyone mentioned a platter drive id delete the order :D

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone know of a review website that tackles acoustics wrt to video cards? I'm looking to buy a 7800XT and my usual method of combing through reviews on Amazon and Newegg isn't really narrowing down the field. I want to know, for example, if the Sapphire PULSE model is especially louder since it has two fans instead of the standard 3. Gamersnexus does this for their cpu coolers, but I haven't found it for video cards. Remarks on coil whine would be great too.

At what GPU length should you buy a support bracket?

Oh, is an offset bracket still needed for AM5 sockets? I think Lanx Lanx recommended it when I was going to buy AM4, but I decided to get AM5 since 7800X3D isn't that much more than a 5800X3D. Quick googling seems to suggest this is something for Noctua only?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Anyone know of a review website that tackles acoustics wrt to video cards? I'm looking to buy a 7800XT and my usual method of combing through reviews on Amazon and Newegg isn't really narrowing down the field. I want to know, for example, if the Sapphire PULSE model is especially louder since it has two fans instead of the standard 3. Gamersnexus does this for their cpu coolers, but I haven't found it for video cards. Remarks on coil whine would be great too.

Oh, is an offset bracket still needed for AM5 sockets? I think Lanx Lanx recommended it when I was going to buy AM4, but I decided to get AM5 since 7800X3D isn't that much more than a 5800X3D. Quick googling seems to suggest this is something for Noctua only?
you get 1c to 3c w/ the offset bracket,

thermal grizzly also made a universal one
3fe1720f3d4bd46e55fb11726d21edfa.png

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

My 4090 is loud af.

[edit] Speaking of... Mist Mist where are those resources you posted for undervolting and making 4090's more effecient?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Too many different models to try and track every one, usually you find a site that normalizes a test for 5+ and then compare reviews between what you want vs ones on the list

7800xt_noise.png

noise-normalized-temperature.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yall need to watercool - i mean if you reeeaally want silence you can do it really well that way.

• 1Worf

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My 4090 is loud af.

[edit] Speaking of... Mist Mist where are those resources you posted for undervolting and making 4090's more effecient?
Weird, mine is whisper quiet, no coil whine or anything. Guess I lucked out going for Asus. I did pass on a couple Gigabyte ones that people complained about noise on. Stock cooler.

My case has very good airflow and some intake air hits the GPU before going through the aio radiator though.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
That's the set of reviews I used to pick my 7800XT too. I went with the Asrock Phantom Gaming because it's a relatively thin cooler that was on par or better than just about everything else, even the absurdly thick (and expensive) ones like the Sapphire Nitro+. I have a Hyte Y60 case which requires vertical GPU mounting, so something like the Nitro+ is actually too close to the glass while the Phantom Gaming is over a full cm further back for much better airflow. In a normal case it might be the difference between needing a bracket and not needing one too, since the Phantom Gaming also weighs ~300g less.

In the end it was a toss up between the Asrock and the Powercolor Hellhound, and I went with the Asrock because it's the same brand as my motherboard and also I saw enough bitching about coil whine from Powercolor cards to make me disregard the fans being slightly quieter.

Last edited:

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Weird, mine is whisper quiet, no coil whine or anything. Guess I lucked out going for Asus. I did pass on a couple Gigabyte ones that people complained about noise on. Stock cooler.

My case has very good airflow and some intake air hits the GPU before going through the aio radiator though.

It’s an Asus ROG STRIX.

image.jpg

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It’s an Asus ROG STRIX.

View attachment 502193
Same card. If Im playing something intensive, it sounds the computer is getting ready to take off. Are you referring to that? If not, and you're talking about a whine or anything abnormal like that - I would talk to Asus about a swap or something. The card is far more quiet than I ever thought it would be, given its size.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Same card. If Im playing something intensive, it sounds the computer is getting ready to take off. Are you referring to that? If not, and you're talking about a whine or anything abnormal like that - I would talk to Asus about a swap or something. The card is far more quiet than I ever thought it would be, given its size.

I can play Fortnite on mid settings and it sounds like a rocket warming up lol.

Otherwise it’s just a soft wind tunnel. No whine, just loud.

Sythrak

Vyemm Raider
Not a very popular brand but Zotac sells open box 3xxx cards often on ebay for relatively cheap. I've gotten a couple 3090's for 650 in the past and have had no issues (iirc its 2-3 year warranty). The 3080's are like 450.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
amd gonna announce 5700x3d soon, if you have an old am4 and wanna get some last life out of it, this (or the 5800x3d) would be the chip

gak

<Gold Donor>
Intel: "Don't buy 3nm-6nm when we have 10nm+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++."

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Just built a computer for a friend in an NZXT H5 Flow, that case is actually really nice. It's inexpensive, so doesn't have anything crazy. It's just a well designed case. Enough room to work in, plenty of space behind for wire routing, cut outs between front and back that make sense, an actual connector instead of just loose wires for the front panel connector.

Highly recommend

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Just built a computer for a friend in an NZXT H5 Flow, that case is actually really nice. It's inexpensive, so doesn't have anything crazy. It's just a well designed case. Enough room to work in, plenty of space behind for wire routing, cut outs between front and back that make sense, an actual connector instead of just loose wires for the front panel connector.

Highly recommend
did you mount the vid card vertical?