Desktop Computers

Palum

what Suineg set it to
FYI newest nVidia drivers from 12/4 started causing strobing on my 4090, had to revert to the Nov version.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
FYI newest nVidia drivers from 12/4 started causing strobing on my 4090, had to revert to the Nov version.
Ive been having some weird artifacts. I just figured the distance on my cable was causing it, but this makes more sense.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
did you mount the vid card vertical?
It was the really cheap computer for the kid, so no video card. I don't think I would though, unless something showed a drastic temp improvement with it vertical. The airflow path seems like a standard mount would be most beneficial with that slanted fan at the front.

I will say the default 2 fans are just 3 pin and kind of loud. Those are something I'd replace with Noctua or something. But to me replacing case fans is pretty standard.

• 1WTF
Reactions: 1 user

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
It was the really cheap computer for the kid, so no video card. I don't think I would though, unless something showed a drastic temp improvement with it vertical. The airflow path seems like a standard mount would be most beneficial with that slanted fan at the front.

I will say the default 2 fans are just 3 pin and kind of loud. Those are something I'd replace with Noctua or something. But to me replacing case fans is pretty standard.

No video card is triggering, lol.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>

how young is this kid he doesn't need a video card?

i think more ppl are opening up to vertical mounted videocards, theyre so heavy now, that they crack the pcb at the locking tab. (of course you can just use a video card support)
GIGABYTE-RTX30-40-PCB-CRACKING-WARRANTY.jpg

Malakriss

$500 computers exist, but minus the card
$500 cards exist, but only from AMD
High end cards still exist, but they cost as much as the computer (sometimes more)

Caliane

how young is this kid he doesn't need a video card?

i think more ppl are opening up to vertical mounted videocards, theyre so heavy now, that they crack the pcb at the locking tab. (of course you can just use a video card support)
I ended up getting a 7900xtx. its fucking huge. in fact has 3 pcie plugs..psu only came with 2. waiting on that now...
but yeah, case came with a gpu anti-sag bracket. going to put that on. its just a L shaped support that goes into the MB supports. I also see expansion prop bars people using. or, litterally lego's, etc ha.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I ended up getting a 7900xtx. its fucking huge. in fact has 3 pcie plugs..psu only came with 2. waiting on that now...
but yeah, case came with a gpu anti-sag bracket. going to put that on. its just a L shaped support that goes into the MB supports. I also see expansion prop bars people using. or, litterally lego's, etc ha.
lulz that L bracket is basically a video card bra

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
With the size of current cards, vertical's the only way to go imo.

20231205_120423.jpg

• 1Like

Daidraco

or the cases that invert the mob 90degrees so the cards are facing up
I feel like J2C's or LTT did a piece on the 90 orientation being bad for the card? Either way, my case has that 90 degree option where the exhaust will vent out of the side of the case instead of flowing into the rest of the case. In my imagination, that "sounds" better, but ffs, I have 11 fans venting in one direction or another, with the stock fans on the strix 4090 giving a circular flow inside the case. (did a smoke test because I thought the 13900 and the 4090 would be too hot for it /shrug).

Stock image - I went with infinity fans and white light.
o11d_evo-01.png

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like J2C's or LTT did a piece on the 90 orientation being bad for the card? Either way, my case has that 90 degree option where the exhaust will vent out of the side of the case instead of flowing into the rest of the case. In my imagination, that "sounds" better, but ffs, I have 11 fans venting in one direction or another, with the stock fans on the strix 4090 giving a circular flow inside the case. (did a smoke test because I thought the 13900 and the 4090 would be too hot for it /shrug).

Stock image - I went with infinity fans and white light.
o11d_evo-01.png

Worst stock image ever. That card’s about to snap off 😂

Kais

<Gold Donor>
The essence of the argument issue is the space between the side of the case and the card matters. Thick cards and bad vertical mount placement can lead to restricted airflow through the card and high temps/throttling.

Daidraco

The essence of the argument issue is the space between the side of the case and the card matters. Thick cards and bad vertical mount placement can lead to restricted airflow through the card and high temps/throttling.
I can see that, since the card is basically a big ass wall in the middle of my computer since I just went for a bracket, personally. But the circular airflow comes from the back three fans. I spent hours on this horse shit and only got down a few degrees difference. I came to the conclusion that in my next computer, if I do anything worth a fuck - its going to have to be water cooled cause shit is just getting too big and too hot to air flow properly.

Now that Im home, this is my gaming PC for reference. Even with a bracket, it sags a bit Tmac Tmac . (Ya. I need to clean the glass. I have a cat. :rolleyes:)
IMG_0376.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I can see that, since the card is basically a big ass wall in the middle of my computer since I just went for a bracket, personally. But the circular airflow comes from the back three fans. I spent hours on this horse shit and only got down a few degrees difference. I came to the conclusion that in my next computer, if I do anything worth a fuck - its going to have to be water cooled cause shit is just getting too big and too hot to air flow properly.

Now that Im home, this is my gaming PC for reference. Even with a bracket, it sags a bit Tmac Tmac . (Ya. I need to clean the glass. I have a cat. :rolleyes:)
View attachment 503735
Yeah, a card like that is ideal for vertical mount in a case that supports it, which unfortunately most do not because of its thickness. Like the Hyte Y60 I have... it's a fantastic case, but the max thickness is 75mm and they strongly recommend leaving at least an extra 15mm so that the fans actually have air to move. Your card is like 70mm thick which would rule that case and most others out immediately. Even some mid-range cards like 7800XT's can be too thick (my AsRock Phantom Gaming is the thinnest of all the premium cards at 50mm, while something like a Sapphire Nitro+ is too thick by a couple mm).

Hyte did fix the problem with the upgraded Y70 model. It's designed for 3-4 slot cards instead of 2-3 slot and can take up to 105mm (90mm recommended). Super expensive though, since the upgrade also includes an LCD touch panel on the beveled part of the glass. They also greatly improved the airflow from the case fans underneath the card that blow across the GPU heatsink.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
What is all this nonsense about vert only for cards? Stop buying small cases!

I fit the damn optimus block on this 4090

I prefer the look of them vert mounted, but yall favoring cases that just wont fit the cards. O11's and Nv's and many other cases have adequate space for traditionally mounted cards. I like the Hyte cases, but i wouldnt buy one because they look like little ovens for a 4090.

• 1Like