Desktop Computers

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
View attachment 504369
64 GB DDR5 Modules Are Coming To Desktop PCs, Enabling Up To 256 GB Memory Capacities

Desktop PC memory is soon going to get another major capacity boost with the upcoming release of 64 GB DDR5 modules for up to 256 GB capacities.

Intel & AMD Desktop PCs To See Major Memory Capacity Boost With 64 GB Modules & Up To 256 GB Capacities
For a long time, the maximum supported memory capacity for desktop PCs was 128 GB and the max capacity per module was limited to 32 GB (16 Gb DRAM). This changed when DRAM makers introduced brand new 24 GB and 48 GB kits based on the 24 Gb DRAM, allowing for up to 192 GB capacities. MSI was among the first motherboard makers to offer support for such high capacities and now, the company will be the first to offer support for up to 256 GB capacities on its desktop PC platforms.

Micron's 1-beta DRAM which comprises 32 Gb DRAM modules is coming to market soon with the likes of Kingston's Fury Renegade DDR5 memory kit. This kit features four DDR5 modules, and each one is equipped with 64 GB capacity for a total of up to 256 GB. That's a 33% increase over the past 192 GB capacities which are still a huge amount for mainstream desktop PC platforms.

This is a huge deal since you'd no longer require to get 4 memory modules to reach 128 GB total capacity. Only two 64 GB modules will get you an impressive 128 B capacity and this also opens up the room for more 2-DIMM motherboard designs which are perfect for dual-channel memory OC.

MSI is demonstrating a 256 GB capacity setup on its PRO X670-P WIFI motherboard equipped with an AMD Ryzen 9 7900X CPU. You will require a BIOS update to enable optimal support for the 256 GB capacities and 64 GB DDR5 modules.

ASRock has also showcased support for 256 GB capacities using 64 GB DDR5 memory modules on both AMD X670 and Intel Z790 platforms. This shows that all major motherboard vendors are prepping support for higher capacities for their specific motherboard platforms. And it's good to see that both Intel and AMD platforms are getting support.

These new BIOS firmware will be rolled out very soon so stay tuned for more information. We will also be keeping you updated with the prices of these 256 GB kits and 64 GB DDR5 modules as they are available.

View attachment 504370
What speed though?

gak

<Gold Donor>
What speed though?
Fast enough for you old man....

h.gif

1.jpg

i.e.: slow and buggy but hopefully stable by arrow lake...

• 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 1 user

gak

<Gold Donor>
c.jpg

CableMod Issues Recall For All 12VHPWR Angled Connectors Including Revised Ones To Prevent GPU Damage

CableMod has recalled its entire 12VHPWR angled connector products including the ones it revised recently to prevent user harm and GPU damage.

The company has issued a statement on its official website, claiming that the CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊Angled Adapters V1.0 and all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊ Angled Adapters V1.1 are "voluntarily" recalled, and has advised consumers to stop using them if they own one. Below is the complete statement:

"It has come to our attention that certain CableMod 12VHPWR Angled Adapter V1.1s may be defective. We have since decided to discontinue sales of our angled adapters. We will be conducting a voluntary safety recall for all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊Angled Adapters V1.0 and all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊ Angled Adapters V1.1 because of the potential risk that the male connector could become loose, overheat, and melt into the GPU.

This recall will apply only to our angled adapters and will not affect our angled cables.

We will be sending out an official notice of, and full details for, our voluntary safety recall in the upcoming days. In the meantime, owners of the CableMod 12VHPWR V1.0 and V1.1 Angled Adapters should STOP USING THEM IMMEDIATELY. Please do not touch the adapters while your system is running. Power down your system and wait until the adapter has had adequate time to cool down before handling.

We apologize for inconveniencing our loyal customers. We hope that you will let us make it up to you in the future.
Your friends at CableMod"

The decision comes following several incidents of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs burning with the CableMod angled adapter equipped. The issue arises as the angled connector becomes loose and is prone to shaking which leads to improper contact between the GPU connector pins and the angled connector itself. This leads to an imbalance of power delivery leading to some pins getting excessively hot, leading to melts that can damage both the GPU and the connector itself.

Since the volume of GPU burns has started to increase drastically, it is evident that a company like CableMod can't cope with covering damages, which is why the recall decision feels like the right one.

If you are using a CableMod angled adapter, we suggest that you stop doing so, or find an alternative. There aren't any viable options in the market right now when it comes to third-party connectors, so we urge readers to follow proper steps when it comes to connecting your GPUs, along with using official cable adapters that come bundled up with power supplies.

nnn.gif

Palum

what Suineg set it to
View attachment 505354
CableMod Issues Recall For All 12VHPWR Angled Connectors Including Revised Ones To Prevent GPU Damage

CableMod has recalled its entire 12VHPWR angled connector products including the ones it revised recently to prevent user harm and GPU damage.

The company has issued a statement on its official website, claiming that the CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊Angled Adapters V1.0 and all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊ Angled Adapters V1.1 are "voluntarily" recalled, and has advised consumers to stop using them if they own one. Below is the complete statement:

"It has come to our attention that certain CableMod 12VHPWR Angled Adapter V1.1s may be defective. We have since decided to discontinue sales of our angled adapters. We will be conducting a voluntary safety recall for all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊Angled Adapters V1.0 and all CableMod 12VHPWR 90 ̊ and 180 ̊ Angled Adapters V1.1 because of the potential risk that the male connector could become loose, overheat, and melt into the GPU.

This recall will apply only to our angled adapters and will not affect our angled cables.

We will be sending out an official notice of, and full details for, our voluntary safety recall in the upcoming days. In the meantime, owners of the CableMod 12VHPWR V1.0 and V1.1 Angled Adapters should STOP USING THEM IMMEDIATELY. Please do not touch the adapters while your system is running. Power down your system and wait until the adapter has had adequate time to cool down before handling.

We apologize for inconveniencing our loyal customers. We hope that you will let us make it up to you in the future.
Your friends at CableMod"

The decision comes following several incidents of NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 GPUs burning with the CableMod angled adapter equipped. The issue arises as the angled connector becomes loose and is prone to shaking which leads to improper contact between the GPU connector pins and the angled connector itself. This leads to an imbalance of power delivery leading to some pins getting excessively hot, leading to melts that can damage both the GPU and the connector itself.

Since the volume of GPU burns has started to increase drastically, it is evident that a company like CableMod can't cope with covering damages, which is why the recall decision feels like the right one.

If you are using a CableMod angled adapter, we suggest that you stop doing so, or find an alternative. There aren't any viable options in the market right now when it comes to third-party connectors, so we urge readers to follow proper steps when it comes to connecting your GPUs, along with using official cable adapters that come bundled up with power supplies.

View attachment 505355
Lmao I'm now glad I didn't complete my order when they emailed me since my card ended up fitting without it.

gak

<Gold Donor>
n.jpg

Seasonic Recommends Using Hair Dryer To Bend 12VHPWR & 12V-2x6 Cables When Installing GPU

Nvidia-authorized OEM hair dryer not included

Seasonic, a widely popular PSU brand, has recommended its customers use a hair dryer when bending a 12VHPWR or 12V-2x6 connector cable.

The 12VHPWR connector cable fiasco just continues with CableMod recently recalling all of its angled-cable product lineup due to potential GPU damage and user harm. The connector cable is updated to the newest 12V-2x6 standard (CEM5.1) but despite that, it still requires some cautionary steps to prevent "potential" damage.

In a recent recommendation guide, Seasonic has released a statement explaining to users how to use and install the 12VHPWR & 12V-2x6 connectors cables to their GPUs. The GeForce RTX 4060 Ti is the last card to use the new connector interface while the RTX 4070, RTX 4060 Ti, and RTX 4060 come in both 8-pin and 12VHPWR designs. These cards were updated to the newer 12V-2x6 cable interface which fixes most of the issues encountered with early 12VHPWR designs, especially on a lot of RTX 4090 GPUs since those used the earliest specs of the standard.

Almost all of the burning and melting issues so far have been related to the RTX 4090 GPU since it has the highest power rating amongst the RTX 40 GPU family. These cards are massive and in most cases don't have ideal room to support such designs, leaving crammed-up setups. Unlike the older 8-pin connectors, the new 12VHPWR/12V-2x6 cables also need to have a 35mm clearance before any bend is applied for cable routing. This means that the side panels in most cases will interfere with the connector.

Seasonic recommends the same 35mm clearance space in its guidelines and also suggests that any bend beyond 35mm should be done using a gentle heat source, such as a hair dryer. The area that needs to be bent should first be heated and then gently bent by the user before installation to ensure easy installation.

All connectors must be INSERTED, CLICK-LOCKED and SEATED properly to avoid issue.
DO NOT bend the cable in any direction once it is plugged into place.
DO NOT bend or apply force to the cable too close to the connector.
We do understand that there may be a need to bend the cables in order to fit them into the case. If this necessity arises then this must be done following below recommendations:

Disconnect the 12VHPWR / 12V-2x6 cable from the power supply and the GPU card.
Carefully use a gentle heat source (such as a hair dryer) to carefully heat the area of the cable where you wish to make the bend.
Carefully insert the connectors into the power supply and the GPU.
Make sure the connectors are properly seated and the latch on the connectors is engaged and locked into place with a click.
It is very important that after the connectors are properly in place, not to bend the cables or exert any unnecessary force on the connectors anymore, either at the power supply or at the GPU end.

Of course, the issues with the 12VHPWR cables will continue to occur since there are a lot of gamers who bought the GeForce RTX 4090 graphics card. Some people saw their connectors melting months and even a full year after launch so you can't just tell when your connectors might become loose and cause damage to your GPU. So checking them from time to time and seeing if it's properly connected is good advise.

h.jpg

• 1Worf

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Running the same circuit in parallel is inherently shitty design and that cheap ass connector they use for it has been expanded beyond what it ever was supposed to handle.

They need to just bite the bullet and switch to a beefier connector, there's plenty of automotive connectors that can handle the amps a GPU draws over a single wire. They could even just switch to a screw stud, this isn't new, complicated or expensive and it would reduce waste heat.

1703412143288.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Im almost 100% sure that its user error based issues. I have zero issues, my friend and my brother, both with a Strix 4090 like myself - both of which have PC's built by me, are completely fine. The more I see posts of people that dont even know how to insert ram, much less take it out (on other platforms) - the more I think there was just an influx of people during COVID that are fucking dumb and thats it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Im almost 100% sure that its user error based issues. I have zero issues, my friend and my brother, both with a Strix 4090 like myself - both of which have PC's built by me, are completely fine. The more I see posts of people that dont even know how to insert ram, much less take it out (on other platforms) - the more I think there was just an influx of people during COVID that are fucking dumb and thats it.
This is true, but that's because building computers has become safe for babies so there's no way to sell components that have to be you know, seated properly, torqued to a specific rating, etc.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Working on the rebuild., I considered a 14900k from this 13900k. However I think this is done until next gen cpus. All I want is the Nv7 rgb kit and the Gskill wigidash. I also believe they have some ddr5 8400 kits on the horizon.

IMG_0313.jpeg

IMG_0314.jpeg

I am tempted to do a M-ATX build but ugh. Think I’d rather do a build where I can use a leakshield. I am considering Antec new case

Antec Performance 1 FT, Full Tower, RTX40 Fully Compatible, Temp Display, 4 x Storm T3 PWM Fans, Type-C, Dual TG Side Panels, Removable Top Bracket, High Airflow Mesh Front Panel, E-ATX PC Gaming Case Amazon.com

Or this

Cooler Master HAF 700 EVO E-ATX High Airflow PC Case, IRIS Customizable LCD .Breathable TG Front Panel, 200mm Sickleflow Fans, 1 x USB 3.2 gen 2 Type C, 4 x USB 3.2 gen 1 (3.0) (H700E-IGNN-S00) https://a.co/d/9DbuH8L

I am rather “go big or go home” type on builds. I don’t want my cou going over 55c during gameplay.

I am interest in introducing a way of having cold water get into a custom loop. I’ve seen people tie the system into a ac vent of sorts. However I’m worried about condensation.

Last edited:

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Why though? I'm sure you could run an external chiller of some sort in a radiator and deal with it but I'm not sure what performance gain that will equate to. The people pushing it are dropping hundreds of degrees not say 20. Seems like a lot of work and hassle.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Brand new site that no one has heard of or mentioned anywhere with insane deals that scream scam? There's a dozen princes in Nigeria that want to talk with you.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Sir, go ahead, let me know how it turns out. :honkler:

1704150593850.png

17751 Northeast 90th Street , Redmond Washington 98052 USA

1704150624442.png

Nearly every single 4090 in the US was shipped to China last month due to the embargo on chip density. Good luck finding a 4090 in the US at MSRP.

• 1Worf

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Lol, I wasn't buying shit from them. I just saw it popup on Google search when I searched Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card to see if prices changed at all.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Lol, I wasn't buying shit from them. I just saw it popup on Google search when I searched Asus TUF GAMING OC GeForce RTX 4070 12 GB Video Card to see if prices changed at all.

Have they? Should I resell mine and use my old 3080? 😂

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Have they? Should I resell mine and use my old 3080? 😂

Shit, I'm still on a 2070 Super! I played a bit more on my Deck than PC in 2023 according to steam, though.

Best I can tell is a 4070 is $650ish, though I want to see what the Super's go for.