Desktop Computers

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Aren't the 4070 Supers still going to be 12GB? Absolute stupidity.

Although they may bump a Ti Super to 16GB the base 4070 should have been that.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If not using RT, AMD cards are still the better option. I still feel a 7800x3D + 7900xtx can get you a 4k ready system for under 2k.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
If not using RT, AMD cards are still the better option. I still feel a 7800x3D + 7900xtx can get you a 4k ready system for under 2k.
I keep thinking more and more about replacing my 3080ti w/ a 7900xtx. Still think RT is more gimmick than anything but I am still scared of AMD drivers. Been burned before.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I keep thinking more and more about replacing my 3080ti w/ a 7900xtx. Still think RT is more gimmick than anything but I am still scared of AMD drivers. Been burned before.
Get a 40x that fits your budget. There's no reason to go AMD unless you've lost the will to live.

• 3Worf
  • 1Imbecile
Reactions: 3 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
DLSS + Framegen
Framegen felt wrong. I could feel the input lag people said didn't exist. It also had horrible artifacting, on top of the moderate artifacting that DLSS did on moving lights against moving backgrounds.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Framegen felt wrong. I could feel the input lag people said didn't exist. It also had horrible artifacting, on top of the moderate artifacting that DLSS did on moving lights against moving backgrounds.
There's some slight artifacting on fences but everything else got patched. The input lag went away with the correct FPS cap and v-sync settings (off ingame, on in drivers.) Low-latency mode set to Ultra in drivers, on in-game.

Malakriss

For a brief amount of time the XFX 7900 XTX was $800 from amazon this morning. Hopefully a sign of undercuts to come.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
RT is a gimmick and only Nvidia fanbois praise it as the next coming. I've yet to use it but once on Cyberpunk but turned it off shortly there after and never used it again. 80% of my builds are with Nvidia but i still feel if i wasnt going balls to the walls with custom loop builds id make a more modest 7800X3D with 7900XTX - A nice red and black build in an Nv5.

Jovec

?
I went AMD these last two generations with a 6950XT and 7900XTX. No issues with the cards or the drivers, and the software suite is much better than Nvidia's. Obviously the RT performance is not on par with NV, but on the 7900XTX it's good enough for games that have some RT effects, but falls off considerably as you get closer to full RT path tracing like that Cyberpunk tech demo. Hardware Unboxed revisted the 7900XTX vs the 4090 and you can see that RT is competitive until, for some games, it just isn't and falls behind completely.

I think the biggest downside with going AMD is that they will always be behind on software features. DLSS will always be better than FSR, NV frame gen will be better than AMD frame gen, etc. Even Intel's native XESS might have already passed FSR in terms of quality. At best, I think AMD tries to make these features good enough in the hopes that they become the de-facto standard (like FreeSync). This is why FSR isn't better on AMD hardware than on NV/Intel. (While DLSS is exclusive to NV and XESS has two modes, with the better DP4A mode requiring Intel hardware). At worst, AMD uses these features to tick off marketing boxes and they will never be fully competitive.

By defination there will always be input lag with frame generation, but it can be minimized. It works by processing a real frame 1, then another real frame 2, and finally generating frame 1.5. The frames are shown in order 1, 1.5, 2, etc... but always slightly delayed since future frames are needed before the generated frames can be created. This is why frame generation works (or feels) better on cards with better base performance. If the card can natively do 80 or 100FPS than using frame-gen to push that to 120+ won't feel like there is too much input lag (or perhaps none at all). Conversely, if a card can only do 30-40FPS for a given game/settings then using frame gen will boost FPS but will also give it more input lag.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

AMD software needs to stop controlling fan curves on the hot spot temp. Or at least do better thermal control on the hotspots themselves if they want to go that route.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Where's the go to source for buying hardware now? Is it still Newegg? Or is Amazon reliable with fragile hardware...

I'm going to *attempt* to get a 4070 Ti Super when it comes out, which I read should be around $800. Assuming they aren't impossible to get.

It would be a sizeable increase from my 2070 Super.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Where's the go to source for buying hardware now? Is it still Newegg? Or is Amazon reliable with fragile hardware...

I'm going to *attempt* to get a 4070 Ti Super when it comes out, which I read should be around $800. Assuming they aren't impossible to get.

It would be a sizeable increase from my 2070 Super.

I drove the hour and a half to MicroCenter for my last build and I doubt I'll ever do anything different.

Prodigal

Shitlord, Offender of the Universe
<Bronze Donator>
I drove the hour and a half to MicroCenter for my last build and I doubt I'll ever do anything different.

Micro Center is coming to Charlotte (2 hours away) - will probably make the drive whenever it’s time to build again.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
1 issue of being a bequiet fan boy
277b82ef782bd8102bda48fe330f23bc.png

if you misplaced your long screw driver, sol

bit exenders don't fit,
45b427dcde7d8e5b044fa256709072c3.png

ordered a 6in ph2, guess i'll install x3d later this week