Desktop Computers

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Decided to buy this after months of waffling.

Kinda annoyed as some components actually went up noticeably in price. CPU and M.2 SSD. I was going to get a Samsung 990 Pro, which was 119 during Black Friday, but is now 180. Some tariff get instituted? Quick, someone give me (more)buyer's remorse!

Will be nice to be able to actually play PoE with Delirium again. Or PoE with a web-based player going at the same time. Netflix and Amazon's clients were too much for my 1060 and i5-7500 to handle while playing PoE.

Didn't actually buy Windows 11 yet. Was surprised how much it cost. I haven't bought an OS...ever? Got a free key with college and been upgrading ever since. Stupid TPM requirement...

Also didn't buy a monitor, still shopping those around.

Oh, still contemplating buying a sag bracket based on how it looks. Is this a relatively new market segment? Lot of reviews didn't mention it one way or the other.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Decided to buy this after months of waffling.

Kinda annoyed as some components actually went up noticeably in price. CPU and M.2 SSD. I was going to get a Samsung 990 Pro, which was 119 during Black Friday, but is now 180. Some tariff get instituted? Quick, someone give me (more)buyer's remorse!

Will be nice to be able to actually play PoE with Delirium again. Or PoE with a web-based player going at the same time. Netflix and Amazon's clients were too much for my 1060 and i5-7500 to handle while playing PoE.

Didn't actually buy Windows 11 yet. Was surprised how much it cost. I haven't bought an OS...ever? Got a free key with college and been upgrading ever since. Stupid TPM requirement...

Also didn't buy a monitor, still shopping those around.

Oh, still contemplating buying a sag bracket based on how it looks. Is this a relatively new market segment? Lot of reviews didn't mention it one way or the other.
I question that 100hz monitor - WD is better than Samsung so you came out better as SSDs go as far as im concerned. However i like my rigs like i like my women's asses so i cant comment much on the build itself - I'm sure Slip or those other guys will chime in!

also DDR5 CL30

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I question that 100hz monitor - WD is better than Samsung so you came out better as SSDs go as far as im concerned. However i like my rigs like i like my women's asses so i cant comment much on the build itself - I'm sure Slip or those other guys will chime in!

also DDR5 CL30

I don't get it. You like your builds to pack much back?

Yeah, I wasn't sure on memory. I didn't find a lot of sites doing reviews on them. Is it definitively better to get lower CL for DDR5?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I don't get it. You like your builds to pack much back?

Yeah, I wasn't sure on memory. I didn't find a lot of sites doing reviews on them. Is it definitively better to get lower CL for DDR5?
Yeah lower is better - generally speaking always get as high as you can get and CL30 DDR5 6000 is the supposed sweet spot for AMD.

I generally just like bigger builds is all. My hands are too big to fuck with cramped smaller cases without me wanting to yank and break shit during upgrades.

• 1Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Anybody know of any good prebuilts around $0-1000? Doesn't need to be anything fancy. The girlfriend's PC took a shit (I think it's the power supply, but it's a 10+ year old PC at this point, so fuck it). She just needs it for work shit (excel, a couple apps, etc.) so it doesn't need a 4090 or anything insane. Basically, just two USB ports and two display ports. I need to take her old platter drives from the last PC and transfer them over as well, so it likely can't be a mini-pc either.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Anybody know of any good prebuilts around $0-1000? Doesn't need to be anything fancy. The girlfriend's PC took a shit (I think it's the power supply, but it's a 10+ year old PC at this point, so fuck it). She just needs it for work shit (excel, a couple apps, etc.) so it doesn't need a 4090 or anything insane. Basically, just two USB ports and two display ports. I need to take her old platter drives from the last PC and transfer them over as well, so it likely can't be a mini-pc either.
Best Buy or Craigslist

Jovec

?
It is always better to get lower CAS/CL timings for a given speed. However, the 5800X3D and 7800X3D are less memory sensitive due to the large L3 cache. You likely won't notice a difference between 6000 CL36 and 6000 CL30 on an X3D processor unless you are memory benchmarking.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I usually point non-gamers towards a refurbished Dell, you can get them in regular tower cases or SFF (which will hold 1-2 3.5" drives) as well. Should be able to get a recent one for under 500. I use one as my HTPC and it's been faultless. Mine has a HDMI and a displayport connector so you may need to use an adapter if you need 2x displayport though, might be different on newer ones.

Should come with a new windows license if it's from an approved refurbisher so no messing around with that.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It is always better to get lower CAS/CL timings for a given speed. However, the 5800X3D and 7800X3D are less memory sensitive due to the large L3 cache. You likely won't notice a difference between 6000 CL36 and 6000 CL30 on an X3D processor unless you are memory benchmarking.
I do wish there was a more direct approach to buying memory. I often found myself thinking "this should be the best memory for my components" and then look up reviews and its actually trash and there are better options available. Other options that are basically the same price 99% of the time.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
I do wish there was a more direct approach to buying memory. I often found myself thinking "this should be the best memory for my components" and then look up reviews and it’s actually trash and there are better options available. Other options that are basically the same price 99% of the time.

This has been my experience too haha

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Same, but like not just memory. It's weird how PC industry can, at the same time, feel like not enough competitors(intel, amd or nvida, amd) but too many options.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I usually point non-gamers towards a refurbished Dell, you can get them in regular tower cases or SFF (which will hold 1-2 3.5" drives) as well. Should be able to get a recent one for under 500. I use one as my HTPC and it's been faultless. Mine has a HDMI and a displayport connector so you may need to use an adapter if you need 2x displayport though, might be different on newer ones.

Should come with a new windows license if it's from an approved refurbisher so no messing around with that.
LG Gram 17 - can be found as low as $700 - weighs under 3lb or so and has HDMI out.

The Gram imo is the best laptop for work and super light gaming like LOL/TFT - When im not using my macbook its the only other laptop i'll touch if not gaming.

Also Intel NUCs are a great option for her also and they can be found used for like $500

About other shit - Of late i feel ive hit the "Why bother upgrading this component: fatigue on NVMEs. I dont feel i will notice anymore changes in performance beyond my SN850X. Why? Because i havent noticed much change since i ditched all SATA drives. That initial push to an NVME seems like the end of noticeable changes.

I've played on 4k 120hz screens but i enjoy 240hz QHD. Maybe if the 5090 can push 4k240hz i will be interested in going that route.

Motherboards are just enablers and beyond visual looks and having PCIE lanes, nothing else i really care for.

CPUs, blah blah more speed you wont notice much change within the last 4 years, and Ram is the same, if you had the DDR4 3800 CL14 you pretty much had best ram.

Do you guys feel things are slowing so much that you have to have everything top tier to feel the smallest modicum of performance? I've been on that bleeding edge 1% trend of builds but im not sure if anything is much different from when i was ballin with the 7700k.

If i go with the KS model i will gain like 3-4fps
Go from DDR 7200 to 8400 and i will gain another 5-6 fps

Sure i can get those same gains by overclocking my CPU to all core 5.9 and GPU as well, but this is outside of actual overclocking.

Last edited:

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
As a project i kinda want to build a mini gaming pc. Any recommendations around small reliable mobos that'll take an i5 or ryzen 5? Also I'm guessing I'd want to use those pcie riser cables? Is that a thing?

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Riser cables typically come with the case if it’s using a sandwich style layout (GPU behind the motherboard tray).

Just go on pcpartpicker, select your cpu then look at motherboards with ITX selected. There really aren’t a ton of options to confuse you with.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Riser cables typically come with the case if it’s using a sandwich style layout (GPU behind the motherboard tray).

Just go on pcpartpicker, select your cpu then look at motherboards with ITX selected. There really aren’t a ton of options to confuse you with.
What about saving space with psu's? Any tips?

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Also Intel NUCs are a great option for her also and they can be found used for like $500
Nucs are the route I was going to go, but I need to be able to hook up a couple SATA drives to copy some files she needs and the ones I found only have 1 HDMI or DP, I need two.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
What about saving space with psu's? Any tips?
Most likely, go look at small cases and find out what size PSU they support. Generally PSUs are SFX or ATX sized, you'll most likely be looking at 700-850 watt SFX psus that will fit those cases.