Desktop Computers

Xerge

<Donor>
Not the stuff inside the taskbar, the taskbar itself. I want it vertically positioned on one monitor. Not horizontal on both. What a waste of space.
yeah

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
I bought an app that lets me move it to the top. Heh. There is a reg key that might work for the sides tho. Start11 from star dock.
I think they've patched that. I tried the regedit and every time I changed it from 03 to anything else, restarting windows explorer put it back to 03.

I'll consider purchasing something, feels wrong though.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I think they've patched that. I tried the regedit and every time I changed it from 03 to anything else, restarting windows explorer put it back to 03.

I'll consider purchasing something, feels wrong though.
I went with this and its been great for customizing the start bar

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Not sure what thread to post in but having issues with Windows 11 on the new PC after the latest Windows update. Think I need to re-install Windows but wondering if anyone has a silver bullet before I do so. It would be nice to not have to do a full system reinstall.

Issue:
Computer freezes completely and becomes unusable. This seems to happen when I try to interract with Windows specific tasks (doing a system search, etc) AND directly after I close out a non windows program. If I reboot and do nothing after about 2 minutes the system freezes and becomes unusable. Oddly, if I open up a non Windows specific application (like Path of Exile), the system is fine so long as it stays running. The second I close it, the computer freezes.

What I've tried so far:

-Windows system file check (/sfc SNANNOW) - This found and "fixed" some corruption issues... and made the problem worse
-Windows memory scan
-Ran repair on windows update
-Updated gfx drivers
-Rolled back windows to previous stable version (removing latest update)
-Rolled back gfx drivers

One other piece of information. Things like the Windows search bar no longer function. I can type in it, but it won't actually bring up any search results, ever.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Not sure what thread to post in but having issues with Windows 11 on the new PC after the latest Windows update. Think I need to re-install Windows but wondering if anyone has a silver bullet before I do so. It would be nice to not have to do a full system reinstall.

Issue:
Computer freezes completely and becomes unusable. This seems to happen when I try to interract with Windows specific tasks (doing a system search, etc) AND directly after I close out a non windows program. If I reboot and do nothing after about 2 minutes the system freezes and becomes unusable. Oddly, if I open up a non Windows specific application (like Path of Exile), the system is fine so long as it stays running. The second I close it, the computer freezes.

What I've tried so far:

-Windows system file check (/sfc SNANNOW) - This found and "fixed" some corruption issues... and made the problem worse
-Windows memory scan
-Ran repair on windows update
-Updated gfx drivers
-Rolled back windows to previous stable version (removing latest update)
-Rolled back gfx drivers

One other piece of information. Things like the Windows search bar no longer function. I can type in it, but it won't actually bring up any search results, ever.

I'd try making another user account and see if the problem persists across accounts. If it does, you likely have to reinstall. (see the last step before doing this)

Also, did you run /sfc until you get no errors multiple times?

If none of that works, try google because you are likely not the only one.

Didn't see any mention of trying safe mode. Try that too.

Last edited:

Khane

I'd try making another user account and see if the problem persists across accounts. If it does, you likely have to reinstall. (see the last step before doing this)

Also, did you run /sfc until you get no errors multiple times?

If none of that works, try google because you are likely not the only one.

Yes I did run sfc until no errors. I'm definitely not even close to the only one, and nobody seems to have an answer. Everyone has tried multiple things to varying degrees of success and Microsoft seems to be radio silent on the issue. Lots of reddit threads and ms support threads with no real, concrete answer.

• 1Like

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
Yes I did run sfc until no errors. I'm definitely not even close to the only one, and nobody seems to have an answer. Everyone has tried multiple things to varying degrees of success and Microsoft seems to be radio silent on the issue. Lots of reddit threads and ms support threads with no real, concrete answer.
The same thing happened for Windows 10 a few weeks ago where they fucked up an update badly. Wasn't this bad tho.

On reinstall, you'll have to monitor and probably hide that last update or you will go in circles.

Patience, however painful it might be, might be the best course.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
The same thing happened for Windows 10 a few weeks ago where they fucked up an update badly. Wasn't this bad tho.

On reinstall, you'll have to monitor and probably hide that last update or you will go in circles.

Patience, however painful it might be, might be the best course.
yea i had the same thing happen to my htpc, i really did not want to reinstall, but it was fucked. then a month after i upgraded it from a 2600 to a 5800x3d (i'm really stretching the life of this htpc, lulz), and now my windows license is fucked

should have just bought a 3k mac and throw it out 2 years ago cuz i replaced it with a $4k mac

• 1Like

Jovec

?
Thanks. I've found similar from GN's review of the chip. Lots of external factors can effect cpu temps, but theirs was maxing out at ~75 C too. Wonder what's limiting it if it isn't TjMax.

Likely hitting the hard-coded frequency/multiplier max. X3Ds have a lot of hard-coded limits on various frequencies, multipliers, and voltages.

• 1Like

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone use a Peerless Assassin 120 SE? When CPU goes to max and it spins up to 1200+ RPM, I can hear that change. It's likely the change itself that's annoying. Should I expect a 120mm fan *quickly* going from ~700 RPM to ~1200 RPM is something I'm always going to detect?

I can't recall my scythe mugen making this kind of sound. But at the same time, I don't think an i5-7500 will push into the 70+ C at full load.

Jovec

?
Anyone use a Peerless Assassin 120 SE? When CPU goes to max and it spins up to 1200+ RPM, I can hear that change. It's likely the change itself that's annoying. Should I expect a 120mm fan *quickly* going from ~700 RPM to ~1200 RPM is something I'm always going to detect?

I can't recall my scythe mugen making this kind of sound. But at the same time, I don't think an i5-7500 will push into the 70+ C at full load.

Usually you can control the ramp-up speed either in BIOS or through whatever fan control software you are using. By slowing down how fast the fan(s) both react to temp changes and speed up, you can lessen the noise. Different fan brands/models also have different noise profiles. I echo Xexx regarding his Noctua preferences for air coolers for, among other things, their balance of performance and noise. They tune their fans to work best at reasonable speeds and noise levels, rather than the absolute best.

• 1Like

Khane

Alright so this is fucked. Doing a clean install of windows is even freezing. Even reset bios to defaults. Starting to think maybe a hardware issue but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the system worked fine when taxing it playing games and only freezes doing mundane shit.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Alright so this is fucked. Doing a clean install of windows is even freezing. Even reset bios to defaults. Starting to think maybe a hardware issue but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense considering the system worked fine when taxing it playing games and only freezes doing mundane shit.
Have you tried reseating the video card, nvme's, and memory? The only thing outside of that, that I could even theorize is that maybe when the system idles, the fan speed is set too low for the temperature? Im just spit balling here, cause after multiple builds - Ive never had what you're describing.

Khane

Have you tried reseating the video card, nvme's, and memory? The only thing outside of that, that I could even theorize is that maybe when the system idles, the fan speed is set too low for the temperature? Im just spit balling here, cause after multiple builds - Ive never had what you're describing.

This is a good call out. Maybe something on my secondary drives is causing it because they aren't seated correctly. Easy enough to check

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You undervolting anything? That's what usually causes crashes under low load but stable under high load.

Possibly BIOS is doing some kind of ECO thing and doing it's own undervolting?

Khane

You undervolting anything? That's what usually causes crashes under low load.

Possibly BIOS is doing some kind of ECO thing and doing it's own undervolting?

I was undervolting. I reset everything to factory defaults to no avail.

Khane

Well I managed to get PoE installed again before a freeze and now I can run that and prevent the system from freezing again so I think you guys are on to something with it being related to low load/idle and system settings

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Well I managed to get PoE installed again before a freeze and now I can run that and prevent the system from freezing again so I think you guys are on to something with it being related to low load/idle and system settings
You have an AIO? Check the temperatures on its OEM program if it has any.

A thread that has a lot of voltage suggestions, but that shit gets over my head.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
Need a recommendation for a good combo on a gaming monitor + GPU purchase. I built my PC about a year ago but left out getting a new GPU because prices were still pretty crazy so I just used my old one which is a GeForce GTX 660 Ti with a 24'' Dell monitor thats probably 15 years old lol. I need to dis asemble the PC because of a failed AIO so I figured if I am going to have to take it all apart and reassemble it then now is a good time to upgrade. Current specs are:

Processor = 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K, 3686 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard = ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Memory = 32GB

Not looking to spend 2k for a GPU but I could probably do 800ish and maybe a tad higher if its really worth the extra cash. okay with 1000ish for the monitor as well. Mostly looking to do some gaming at 4k and at least 120mhz refresh rate. Been a console gamer forever and ready to see what the PC master race has been talking shit about all this time lol.

Will 32GB be a bottlenech at all? Should I go ahead and get 32GB more? Hopefully the CPU only being an i5 wont be an issue either.