Desktop Computers

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
14th gen intel is 13th gen with a new coat of paint so your 12th gen is technically only one iteration of development behind. 32GB is fine assuming it's not piss poor clock speeds.

GPU choice is a consequence of monitor selection. There are plenty of decent 1440p monitor options but I will let people more knowledgeable than me can chime in on their preferences, however know that good 4K models are rarer and pricier. Once you determine what screen you are buying then you select the graphics card that can handle it. Zero point in paying for a 4090 on 1440p at lower frame rates, hell a 4080 Super might be overkill. But even at 1440p you want a card with 16GB memory, AMD has it standard while Nvidia has skimped out so any card with 12GB (or less) is trash now and horrible for futureproofing.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Anyone use a Peerless Assassin 120 SE? When CPU goes to max and it spins up to 1200+ RPM, I can hear that change. It's likely the change itself that's annoying. Should I expect a 120mm fan *quickly* going from ~700 RPM to ~1200 RPM is something I'm always going to detect?

I can't recall my scythe mugen making this kind of sound. But at the same time, I don't think an i5-7500 will push into the 70+ C at full load.

What I use atm(cooler and cpu), and can definitely hear it when it ramps up/down. But I also have headphones on when I am at the PC using it, so I don't really hear it through the music/game's sounds. I can hear it if I have headphones off or just in the room in general.

I am also quite used to fan noises. I live in a hot climate, and during spring/summer, I have a fan going in the room almost 24/7. I think at this point I just mentally ignore it or place it in the back of my mind. I know its there, but doesn't bother me.

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Need a recommendation for a good combo on a gaming monitor + GPU purchase. I built my PC about a year ago but left out getting a new GPU because prices were still pretty crazy so I just used my old one which is a GeForce GTX 660 Ti with a 24'' Dell monitor thats probably 15 years old lol. I need to dis asemble the PC because of a failed AIO so I figured if I am going to have to take it all apart and reassemble it then now is a good time to upgrade. Current specs are:

Processor = 12th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-12600K, 3686 Mhz, 10 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
Motherboard = ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A GAMING WIFI D4
Memory = 32GB

Not looking to spend 2k for a GPU but I could probably do 800ish and maybe a tad higher if its really worth the extra cash. okay with 1000ish for the monitor as well. Mostly looking to do some gaming at 4k and at least 120mhz refresh rate. Been a console gamer forever and ready to see what the PC master race has been talking shit about all this time lol.

Will 32GB be a bottlenech at all? Should I go ahead and get 32GB more? Hopefully the CPU only being an i5 wont be an issue either.
if your video card was over 10yrs old, does that mean your aio was also bought at the same time? i mean given the avg lifespan of 5years for aio, over 10years of service is great

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
So I *think* I have fixed my issues. After a ton of everything, including unseating everything, using onboard video, taking one memory stick out at a time, using various diagnostic tools to health check components like my nVME M2 drives, etc.... and even unplugging my PC from my UPS and plugging it directly into the wall... I rolled back to Windows 10.

This didn't fix my issue right away, its technically the same build as the latest windows 11, but after I was able to get all my drivers installed and ran sfc /scannow that actually fixed the corruped files and now my machine is usable again.

Difference being, I guess, sfc /scannow does not function properly in Windows 11 and their latest update/patch is shit garbage that fucks certain hardware/systems.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

So I *think* I have fixed my issues. After a ton of everything, including unseating everything, using onboard video, taking one memory stick out at a time, using various diagnostic tools to health check components like my nVME M2 drives, etc.... and even unplugging my PC from my UPS and plugging it directly into the wall... I rolled back to Windows 10.

This didn't fix my issue right away, its technically the same build as the latest windows 11, but after I was able to get all my drivers installed and ran sfc /scannow that actually fixed the corruped files and now my machine is usable again.

Difference being, I guess, sfc /scannow does not function properly in Windows 11 and their latest update/patch is shit garbage that fucks certain hardware/systems.
Thats.. just weird. I thought to ping you earlier about it, but I didnt have anything new to add other than my own curiosity.

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
What I use atm(cooler and cpu), and can definitely hear it when it ramps up/down. But I also have headphones on when I am at the PC using it, so I don't really hear it through the music/game's sounds. I can hear it if I have headphones off or just in the room in general.

I am also quite used to fan noises. I live in a hot climate, and during spring/summer, I have a fan going in the room almost 24/7. I think at this point I just mentally ignore it or place it in the back of my mind. I know its there, but doesn't bother me.
Good to know it isn't just me, thanks. I too use headphones, can barely hear above the game/music and I have to be looking for it. For whatever reason, the shader on PoE taxes the fuck out of the CPU, so loading a zone, I'm now training myself to listen for it.

Just curious, what temps does your CPU max out at 100% utilization?

Axiel

Molten Core Raider
Need a recommendation

Is this what you're looking for?

There's also the 7900xt if you don't care about ray tracing or power consumption and want more bang for the buck; there's no driver problems this generation.

Might want to watch a review for the monitor, do some research on OLED before diving in and giving yourself burn in. Could also consider a 2k ultrawide with a higher refresh rate.

32GB is the correct amount of RAM these days, no more no less.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
IMG_0520.jpeg

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Good to know it isn't just me, thanks. I too use headphones, can barely hear above the game/music and I have to be looking for it. For whatever reason, the shader on PoE taxes the fuck out of the CPU, so loading a zone, I'm now training myself to listen for it.

Just curious, what temps does your CPU max out at 100% utilization?

Looking at my history, my max temp, ever, has been 78°C. I assume that is when I was playing CP2077 right after I built it and was testing settings.

It idles around 39°C. I will check while gaming next time I play.

• 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Same CPU/GPU - why your shit 10-12 degrees higher on everything? You keep your office at 75 or something? lol
75-76 I’m not up north anymore so I’m going to miss the always 50 basement temps.

• 1Like

Khane

Thats.. just weird. I thought to ping you earlier about it, but I didnt have anything new to add other than my own curiosity.

Found this from years ago. Guy was having the exact same problems I am. Hilariously, the "Independent Microsoft MVP" was offering no help at all, he clearly wasn't even reading what the guy was writing.

At the very bottom some other random user offered his own fix for the very same problems. Wonder if mine was related to that, but it probably is some kind of driver issue. Windows likely corrupting something on update.

• 1Like

Khane

Well, fuck me it started freezing again. One thing I noticed is my GPU core clock speed seems low to me. Other values seem within normal ranges? But this is really greek to me. Also, GPU fans showing at 0% and 0 RPM? Is that because temps are fine?

EDIT: Looking inside the case, the GPU fans are definitely not running.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Well, fuck me it started freezing again. One thing I noticed is my GPU core clock speed seems low to me. Other values seem within normal ranges? But this is really greek to me. Also, GPU fans showing at 0% and 0 RPM? Is that because temps are fine?

View attachment 511646
did you mess w/ fan curves at all or left it stock when installed?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Some GPU fans don't spin below 60C, is yours one of those? I have no idea which temperature it uses for that threshold.

Malakriss

"Zero RPM" or "silent mode" it's usually called something like that. AMD enables it by default in their software but they also have their GPU fan curves operate on the hot spot temp specifically.

MSI Afterburner might be required for some Nvidia cards to override and turn it off?

Last edited:

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If your pc is hitching it’s likely the hard drive. It’s something i experienced once or twice before but it was resolved when i put windows on a different drive.

SSD tools said everything was fine but the issue went away with a drive swap.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

View attachment 511646

GPU fans not working could mean a defective GPU if it’s new. Don’t have another PC to test?

You could also have plugged something in wrong on the mobo so it’s not getting power? But if the fans aren’t running at all I’d expect it to overheat and shut your PC off. But your temps weren’t hot, so it’s not that.

Do a stress test and see if they come on.

Have you checked to see if your HD is corrupt?