Desktop Computers

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Usually a faulty gpu has a form of artifacting in present. The temps shown on his are within the norm of no fan spin up.

You need to game and while gaming see if your fan spin up or not.

Since your pc is running like shit any way move your games to another drive and pop in a different ssd to use windows on.

id hope everyone in this thread by now never keeps games on same drive as windows anyways. Formatting shouldn’t be an issue nowadays anyways. You can game - format c: and be back in the game within an hour now.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The chonker heatsink on my 4080 means the fans only start spinning when it gets above 55c, which is only while playing a 'real' game.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Yea I can run full benchmark tests like heavens benchmark with no issue. And it never freezes when I'm actually playing a game. I'm at a loss.

Khane

And.... I've been using the PC now for the past 3 hours without any freezes. I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

Its been so long since I had any windows related problems. If I start up the PC and don't immediately open a "taxing" application the PC will freeze within 2-3 minutes. I almost want to switch to a Linux distro at this point.

Noble Savage

Kang of Kangz
<Bronze Donator>
14th gen intel is 13th gen with a new coat of paint so your 12th gen is technically only one iteration of development behind. 32GB is fine assuming it's not piss poor clock speeds.

GPU choice is a consequence of monitor selection. There are plenty of decent 1440p monitor options but I will let people more knowledgeable than me can chime in on their preferences, however know that good 4K models are rarer and pricier. Once you determine what screen you are buying then you select the graphics card that can handle it. Zero point in paying for a 4090 on 1440p at lower frame rates, hell a 4080 Super might be overkill. But even at 1440p you want a card with 16GB memory, AMD has it standard while Nvidia has skimped out so any card with 12GB (or less) is trash now and horrible for futureproofing.
Thanks man and taking the approach of figuring out what I want out of the monitor and then working backward to find a GPU to drive it makes perfect sense!
Wow what the fuck lol. But yeah a 12th gen CPU is still more than fine.
Yeah its been a minute since I have bought a new GPU lol. Haven't been gaming much the last few years and when I do its always on consoles. Want to get into PC gaming again though. I was surprised to lookupp my card and see its ONLY 12 years old =)
if your video card was over 10yrs old, does that mean your aio was also bought at the same time? i mean given the avg lifespan of 5years for aio, over 10years of service is great
No the AIO was purchased at the same time as the rest of the newer components about 15 months ago. I went ahead and got a new Corsair one since alot of the other components I have are Corsair and they have pretty lights lol.
Is this what you're looking for?

There's also the 7900xt if you don't care about ray tracing or power consumption and want more bang for the buck; there's no driver problems this generation.

Might want to watch a review for the monitor, do some research on OLED before diving in and giving yourself burn in. Could also consider a 2k ultrawide with a higher refresh rate.

32GB is the correct amount of RAM these days, no more no less.
Thank you for the recommendations. I've been researching monitor reviews the last few days to get myself up to speed lots of cool new tech to wade through.

Khane

Latest update, I manually turned off G-Sync on my monitors and haven't had a freeze since.

????

I have no goddamn idea at this point.

Last edited:
  • 1WTF
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
1706646543253.png

Am I reading this correctly and the noise on my assassin(SE? I really hope that doesn't make a difference) would also be exhibited by a NH-D15?
Source:
I've never tried adjusting the fan curve. I assume this is how quickly the BIOS ramps up the fan speed based on temperatures? I have set to silent, maybe that's a mistake?

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Up to 200 watts there are quite a few CPU coolers all within the margin of error. Pumping more wattage past that point does start showing a 5-10% spread but let's be honest 99% of you are not overclocking to that extreme so you can go with any of these high performer models. Pick what fits your motherboard, aesthetic, or budget.

Khane

Been I think 2 days since a freeze, is Microsoft trying to shake down nVidia? I don't even have to put the system under stress anymore, it just doesn't freeze now. Disabling G-Sync on my monitors fixed this? What the fuck?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Been I think 2 days since a freeze, is Microsoft trying to shake down nVidia? I don't even have to put the system under stress anymore, it just doesn't freeze now. Disabling G-Sync on my monitors fixed this? What the fuck?

Turn it back on and see, also when you say “freeze” what exactly happens? Also is your mouse in an updated position afterwards?

Khane

Are there several meanings to freeze now? Can mice "update their position" during a freeze?

giphy.gif

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Daidraco

Are there several meanings to freeze now? Can mice "update their position" during a freeze?

giphy.gif
Think hes asking how long the freeze happens, like does windows just go unresponsive, no change in screen, and if you move your mouse, does the tracking of which, still happen. Like sliding the cursor over to the right side of the screen from its original location on the left side of the screen. (That is, if the freeze is not akin to a BSOD and you have to restart the PC.)

Which hes looking to see if its just the monitor, or if its an internal PC component thats causing the handshake to fuck up.

Khane

The entire system freezes. It doesn't get less responsive, it's not for a brief moment in time, it completely freezes. Forever. It's frozen. All the components seem to still be humming along, it's never a BSOD, it literally just freezes.

And I have 2 monitors, the system itself is frozen. And I can also KVM over to my laptop and everything works as expected, monitors, keyboard, mouse.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
The entire system freezes. It doesn't get less responsive, it's not for a brief moment in time, it completely freezes. Forever. It's frozen. All the components seem to still be humming along, it's never a BSOD, it literally just freezes.

And I have 2 monitors, the system itself is frozen. And I can also KVM over to my laptop and everything works as expected, monitors, keyboard, mouse.

Ok thats what i was curious about. There are multiple types of freezes can occur - Do you know the history of AMD drivers? Us survivors of pre-driver AMD have seen more freezes than you young bucks!

Is your windows drive on an NVME or SATA SSD? Have you upgraded any components like GPU or anything? If you answered all this before, my bad!

Khane

I don't think it's a problem I'll be able to actually fix at this point. Though it seems fixed? If you're curious you can read back over the last page or so to get the info.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I don't think it's a problem I'll be able to actually fix at this point. Though it seems fixed? If you're curious you can read back over the last page or so to get the info.
I've found that computer problems that point to many different culprits wind up being a bad motherboard. If it isn't available from new, you can probably find one just like it on Ebay. Or upgrade if the system is old.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I've found that computer problems that point to many different culprits wind up being a bad motherboard. If it isn't available from new, you can probably find one just like it on Ebay. Or upgrade if the system is old.
yea thats not a bad call, especially since Khane Khane is getting freezes w/ no bsod, that was a huge problem back in 2010s where there was a huge run on bad capacitors, bulgings
also weird cstates were a problem too but Khane Khane seems to have reset things to factory

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
yea thats not a bad call, especially since Khane Khane is getting freezes w/ no bsod, that was a huge problem back in 2010s where there was a huge run on bad capacitors, bulgings
also weird cstates were a problem too but Khane Khane seems to have reset things to factory
IDK id first try a different GPU - he said it only happens w/ Gsync enabled? - GPU suddenly uses more power than normal and PSU cant keep up so it locks? Faulty GPU? -A lot of possibilities but its something i havent encountered in over a decade.

Daidraco

IDK id first try a different GPU - he said it only happens w/ Gsync enabled? - GPU suddenly uses more power than normal and PSU cant keep up so it locks? Faulty GPU? -A lot of possibilities but its something i havent encountered in over a decade.
Honestly, its just one of those things that without having it in our hands - it would take ages to diagnose.

On a separate note about the capacitors etc. - Lot of that shit is still in supply from when shipping costs were astronomical to get power supplies and similar into the US. The power supply I bought for my ex died within a couple years and I still saw plenty more of that same model/brand when I skipped over them to buy a real power supply with my own money instead of her tiny ass budget.