Desktop Computers

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Honestly, its just one of those things that without having it in our hands - it would take ages to diagnose.

On a separate note about the capacitors etc. - Lot of that shit is still in supply from when shipping costs were astronomical to get power supplies and similar into the US. The power supply I bought for my ex died within a couple years and I still saw plenty more of that same model/brand when I skipped over them to buy a real power supply with my own money instead of her tiny ass budget.

Trying a second GPU would exclude an easily identifiable major issue.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Been I think 2 days since a freeze, is Microsoft trying to shake down nVidia? I don't even have to put the system under stress anymore, it just doesn't freeze now. Disabling G-Sync on my monitors fixed this? What the fuck?
I know this sounds insane, but try replacing your video cables with new ones. Certified ones.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I know this sounds insane, but try replacing your video cables with new ones. Certified ones.
Thats the direction I was thinking when he mentioned G-Sync, since a shitty HDMI cable can fuck the handshake up. Running Netflix in Chrome with their shitty piracy software that doesnt even fucking work, would be an immediate tale-tell sign of a shitty cable. But I think Khane doesnt give a fuck anymore now that its went away, lul.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The best troubleshooting advice usually comes after "I know this sounds insane but"
I think that applies to most of life decisions. Especially including, but not limited to, fireworks, power tools, and women.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That is so tempting, but my desk too damn cluttered. I really need to reorganize all my work stuff and clean it up someday.
you could just put it in your computer, the most sold aida64 thing on aliexpress is something you stick on top of a aio
fee8b57beb4c0e7aa35ef5c75ffa3208.png

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
you could just put it in your computer, the most sold aida64 thing on aliexpress is something you stick on top of a aio
fee8b57beb4c0e7aa35ef5c75ffa3208.png

Nah. I'm not part of the RGB gang, so while my case has a glass side panel, the view to it is blocked by a monitor. The Wigidash is also a touchscreen so you can do more with it than just display information. Even more importantly, it is not detected as simply another monitor, so you avoid the headache of random other windows being displayed on it our moving your mouse over to it.

I suppose I could see about hanging it below one of my monitors. Probably easier to just reorganize my setup though.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I NEVER look at my desktop literally. I guess if it was infront of me turned profile i could use that. However the WigiDash actually sits right under my monitor so its way easier to just look down and see my temps than to turn and squint to look at a CPU mounted one around my custom loop.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Well I've pretty much given up on Nvidia cards ever being affordable. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this part list and filling the rest in off my current build (3950x). I'll need to get an AM5 mount kit for my Kraken Z73 AIO but Microcenter has them listed for $6. Should be 30-50% faster on paper at least.

pcpartpicker.png

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Well I've pretty much given up on Nvidia cards ever being affordable. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this part list and filling the rest in off my current build (3950x). I'll need to get an AM5 mount kit for my Kraken Z73 AIO but Microcenter has them listed for $6. Should be 30-50% faster on paper at least.

View attachment 513666
That looks pretty good. Have prices been going up again? I was able to build a 4090 system for eh 2750 at the end of 2023 by just camping deals. I got 2TB nvme for like 139 or something crazy on amazon deal, 1kw asus power supply was like $125 also on amazon. Got a bunch at Microcenter combo deal weekend thing. Was on all the discords/sites and found a 4090 msrp direct from asus.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
That looks pretty good. Have prices been going up again? I was able to build a 4090 system for eh 2750 at the end of 2023 by just camping deals. I got 2TB nvme for like 139 or something crazy on amazon deal, 1kw asus power supply was like $125 also on amazon. Got a bunch at Microcenter combo deal weekend thing. Was on all the discords/sites and found a 4090 msrp direct from asus.
That's the skeleton, I have not had the time to whittle down individual items for the best price , look for deals , etc. So call it worst case. I may not even need the power supply, I'm debating if I want to use my existing Corsair 1050w unit for the 4th build or not. It's been solid but everything wears out and that's a pretty critical piece.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
That's the skeleton, I have not had the time to whittle down individual items for the best price , look for deals , etc. So call it worst case. I may not even need the power supply, I'm debating if I want to use my existing Corsair 1050w unit for the 4th build or not. It's been solid but everything wears out and that's a pretty critical piece.
if it's not gold or platinum, no good

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I think everyone needs to have a 4000+ dollar PC at least once in their lifetime, and Im sure it'll get more expensive than that as time goes. Why? Not because its the best of the best and you can throw anything and everything at it. No. Its the aching realization that you spent 4000 on a PC and there are like half a dozen games, max, that can take advantage of it. The other side of that is that "I" and probably you, play games that evena GTX 970 could play on max most of the time. But all my fans in the infinity mirrors with the LED lighting look really fucking cool - but.. ya.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider

View attachment 513666
At that price on the 7900XTX i'd find a red devil since it has such great cooling, and looks pretty sweet.

I would recommend a high end rig at least once. I remember i used to play EQ1 on a Compaq Presario w/ Voodoo Graphics 3DFX add in card.

Started from the bottom now we here!

I hate drake but seemed appropriate to put. The problem with super high end rigs, is either you keep it forever or eventually give it away to someone you give a damn about. Reselling a custom rig is like having organs removed while youre awake. You lose soooooooooooooo much of what you spent just because they are hard to push on most individuals. I've sold 2 of the 4 i built recently but the most recent one cost so damn much i cant bring myself to accept under $6000.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
At that price on the 7900XTX i'd find a red devil since it has such great cooling, and looks pretty sweet.

I would recommend a high end rig at least once. I remember i used to play EQ1 on a Compaq Presario w/ Voodoo Graphics 3DFX add in card.

Started from the bottom now we here!

I hate drake but seemed appropriate to put. The problem with super high end rigs, is either you keep it forever or eventually give it away to someone you give a damn about. Reselling a custom rig is like having organs removed while youre awake. You lose soooooooooooooo much of what you spent just because they are hard to push on most individuals. I've sold 2 of the 4 i built recently but the most recent one cost so damn much i cant bring myself to accept under $6000.
Current rig 'was' high end when I built it, That's the only reason it lasted this long. Won't be able to sell it as I'm reusing the case/fans. Been in the higher end most of the time I've built them myself. I miss the sweet spot where you could water cool a CPU and crank that bitch up 100+%

Unfortunately life, a brain tumor, and no longer being able to work a 6 figure a year job put a serious dent my PC habit. Unless you want to bankroll me?

I assume you are referring to the Powercolor card? Have you used one? Nice looking card, worth a consideration.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I think everyone needs to have a 4000+ dollar PC at least once in their lifetime, and Im sure it'll get more expensive than that as time goes. Why? Not because its the best of the best and you can throw anything and everything at it. No. Its the aching realization that you spent 4000 on a PC and there are like half a dozen games, max, that can take advantage of it. The other side of that is that "I" and probably you, play games that evena GTX 970 could play on max most of the time. But all my fans in the infinity mirrors with the LED lighting look really fucking cool - but.. ya.
I bought a 4K laptop in the bad old days to play EQ when I was out of town. This was when RAM made up most of the cost of a PC. I believe it was a Gateway but it's been a while.

• 1Like