Desktop Computers

Jovec

?
I have enough family I support with hand-me-down computers/parts that I don't really resell, but two examples...

1) I bought a pair of $400+ Lian Li Tyr pc-x500 cases in...2010 when LL still did full aluminum. Upgraded the front IO to USB 3, but no Type C, no AIO support, older design, etc but I never could bring myself to sell them. They'd be hard a hard sell at $100 given what $100 buys these days, and for $50 just seemed too low to let them go.

2) In one of those Tyr cases, I built an AMD FX8350 system - best mobo, 64GB, best AMD GPU, (later) modded the BIOS to add boot NVME support, NH-D14, full Noctua all around, SS power supply, etc. I wanted to all AMD system to do some Linux testing and (all bulldozer jokes aside) the system served me well. I held on to it for a long while so when I finally thought about selling it the system was well past it's prime and worth only a few hundred at best, but given how much I spent on it I wanted more than anyone would realistically give. Thing was like a pimped out Civic - a lot of money thrown at it, but it was still only 100 base HP tricked out to 130hp.

10 - Dual 500FX.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Current rig 'was' high end when I built it, That's the only reason it lasted this long. Won't be able to sell it as I'm reusing the case/fans. Been in the higher end most of the time I've built them myself. I miss the sweet spot where you could water cool a CPU and crank that bitch up 100+%

Unfortunately life, a brain tumor, and no longer being able to work a 6 figure a year job put a serious dent my PC habit. Unless you want to bankroll me?

I assume you are referring to the Powercolor card? Have you used one? Nice looking card, worth a consideration.

Yeah i had a build with the red devil 7900XTX its a nice card. If i go AMD again it would likely be with that card until the 8k series comes out.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Current rig 'was' high end when I built it, That's the only reason it lasted this long. Won't be able to sell it as I'm reusing the case/fans. Been in the higher end most of the time I've built them myself. I miss the sweet spot where you could water cool a CPU and crank that bitch up 100+%
w/ your x3d now you'll learn about undervolting

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I have enough family I support with hand-me-down computers/parts that I don't really resell, but two examples...

1) I bought a pair of $400+ Lian Li Tyr pc-x500 cases in...2010 when LL still did full aluminum. Upgraded the front IO to USB 3, but no Type C, no AIO support, older design, etc but I never could bring myself to sell them. They'd be hard a hard sell at $100 given what $100 buys these days, and for $50 just seemed too low to let them go.

2) In one of those Tyr cases, I built an AMD FX8350 system - best mobo, 64GB, best AMD GPU, (later) modded the BIOS to add boot NVME support, NH-D14, full Noctua all around, SS power supply, etc. I wanted to all AMD system to do some Linux testing and (all bulldozer jokes aside) the system served me well. I held on to it for a long while so when I finally thought about selling it the system was well past it's prime and worth only a few hundred at best, but given how much I spent on it I wanted more than anyone would realistically give. Thing was like a pimped out Civic - a lot of money thrown at it, but it was still only 100 base HP tricked out to 130hp.

i repurposed my 8350 as the treadmill computer

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Well I've pretty much given up on Nvidia cards ever being affordable. I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on this part list and filling the rest in off my current build (3950x). I'll need to get an AM5 mount kit for my Kraken Z73 AIO but Microcenter has them listed for $6. Should be 30-50% faster on paper at least.

View attachment 513666
Without digging into how many slots things have and stuff, I'm pretty sure it'd be a fair amount cheaper to get 2 2TB drives instead of the 4TB. That seems like a pretty high dollar amount for the quantity of storage.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
2TB have been put through their paces and while 4TB models should simply be a scaling process there's almost always issues that crop up. I wouldn't buy a 4TB now maybe in a year or two.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I am reconsidering the 4tb, I just don't like having to remove one game to load another. I currently have (3) 3tb drives in my current rig but they are not 5.0. Probably back it to another 2tb. Looked at the red devil last night, I'm leaning that way. I'd never used a powercolor part they always seemed like gimic cards full of anime and I seem to recall they had a card you had to paint yourself?

Anyhow after the superbowl I am going to start paring down parts to get serious. Never bought anything via pcpartpicker, is it cheaper to price it all out individually?

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I am reconsidering the 4tb, I just don't like having to remove one game to load another. I currently have (3) 3tb drives in my current rig but they are not 5.0. Probably back it to another 2tb. Looked at the red devil last night, I'm leaning that way. I'd never used a powercolor part they always seemed like gimic cards full of anime and I seem to recall they had a card you had to paint yourself?

Anyhow after the superbowl I am going to start paring down parts to get serious. Never bought anything via pcpartpicker, is it cheaper to price it all out individually?
They also have buy from one place and options like that, play around with it

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Windows 7 and 8 might have been retired but 10s should still upgrade fine.

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
I'm so bad, after talking to a friend about computer upgrades I mentioned all I could really do would be to go to 128gb of RAM with my 5950x / 4090 and not much more could be done on this board / architecture.

That got me looking into what I had, and what I could actually upgrade to (getting familiar again w/ QVL, etc) and during that I noticed it was showing my DDR4-3200 as 2133hz. It's probably been set to these default settings for more than a year when I was troubleshooting all my restarting problems.

1708074941344.png

So hey, my 64gb got 33% faster tonight after switching the memory timings from auto in the BIOS... lol.

1708074955530.png

• 1Worf

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I'm so bad, after talking to a friend about computer upgrades I mentioned all I could really do would be to go to 128gb of RAM with my 5950x / 4090 and not much more could be done on this board / architecture.

That got me looking into what I had, and what I could actually upgrade to (getting familiar again w/ QVL, etc) and during that I noticed it was showing my DDR4-3200 as 2133hz. It's probably been set to these default settings for more than a year when I was troubleshooting all my restarting problems.

View attachment 514763

So hey, my 64gb got 33% faster tonight after switching the memory timings from auto in the BIOS... lol.

View attachment 514764

lol

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
do you have decent thermal paste?
I'm getting a little bit out of my comfort zone and trying some thermal paste based on website reviews and I bought some thermal grizzly kryonaut. If it doesn't work out I'll go back to my old standby; Arctic Silver 5.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I'm getting a little bit out of my comfort zone and trying some thermal paste based on website reviews and I bought some thermal grizzly kryonaut. If it doesn't work out I'll go back to my old standby; Arctic Silver 5.
yea that'll do you good
(the kryonaut, not the as5)

• 1Like