Desktop Computers

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
yea that'll do you good
(the kryonaut, not the as5)
good to know. TBH I'd never even heard of this stuff until I looked at reviews on multiple HW sites. I just thought that there was probably better thermal compound that what I've been using forever.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
good to know. TBH I'd never even heard of this stuff until I looked at reviews on multiple HW sites. I just thought that there was probably better thermal compound that what I've been using forever.
yea i put kryonaut on my 5800x3d w/ a darkrock 4, i also have a vial of mx6 that worked well on a 3800xt (i prefer the mx6, just b/c it's easier to apply)

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
This PC needs a new home, where are my whalebros to buy over the top rigs?!

That aside i see that AMD is going to put out another mid-tier card. I respect that they want to be budget champs but id love someone to challenge the 90series. I know they are fam but they need more headbutting outside of the awkward thanksgivings. When/IF AMD makes the leap to better RT performance Nvidia will crumble outside of the 90series.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This PC needs a new home, where are my whalebros to buy over the top rigs?!

That aside i see that AMD is going to put out another mid-tier card. I respect that they want to be budget champs but id love someone to challenge the 90series. I know they are fam but they need more headbutting outside of the awkward thanksgivings. When/IF AMD makes the leap to better RT performance Nvidia will crumble outside of the 90series.
The AMD chips that would be challenging the 90 series are going to datacenter AI bros.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
More like:

1708313805622.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
In '93 or so I called my mom and told her I was thinking about getting a PC but wasn't sure if I would actually use it. I'd had computers in the past but they were the 'hook up to the TV and load program's via cassette' type. Think Radio Shack Tandy types. My mom told me to just go get it.
Then I drove 2 hours to a Best Buy in Charlotte NC and spent 3K on a Packard Bell Pentium 90 machine that I played with forever. Then the bug really bit and I started building them.

My mom reminded me of that conversation at every opportunity. Sadly they have majorly changed my life, my leisure life at least.

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
In '93 or so I called my mom and told her I was thinking about getting a PC but wasn't sure if I would actually use it. I'd had computers in the past but they were the 'hook up to the TV and load program's via cassette' type. Think Radio Shack Tandy types. My mom told me to just go get it.
Then I drove 2 hours to a Best Buy in Charlotte NC and spent 3K on a Packard Bell Pentium 90 machine that I played with forever. Then the bug really bit and I started building them.

My mom reminded me of that conversation at every opportunity. Sadly they have majorly changed my life, my leisure life at least.
99% sure it was 94
i got my p60 in 93 and they didn't come out w/ socket 5 until 94

Jovec

?
I got a TI 99 4/A when I was young. Not sure if I asked for it or if my parents wanted me to have it. I played the hell out those math game cartridges - the gun was in the center and asteroids moved towards you from all directions. Each asteroid had a math equation on it and you had to enter to correct answer to shoot and destroy it. Next I delivered newspapers to earn enough to buy a Commodore 128, 5 1/4" drive, and dot matrix printer - each was $200 at the time. Part of me wants to know how much I have spent on computers since then, but if I wanted to die suddenly I would have gotten vaxxed and boosted....

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
99% sure it was 94
i got my p60 in 93 and they didn't come out w/ socket 5 until 94
hence the 'or so' I just remembered where I was when I got it. Not the exact date. Memory wasn't great BEFORE they went digging around in my brain and it's complete shit now. I'm *almost* over it pissing me off, almost.

Funny thing about the PC is , regardless of what year I got it, was I got it home and set it up via the big color poster that showed what plugged into where, and realized I had zero idea how to use the damn thing. I walked across the street to the grocery store and bought a case of beer, sat at the kitchen table and read the books that came with it (RTFM). A week or so later I got to the part where it showed how to add HD / RAM and I took the PC apart. Good times.

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
This weekend I had a LOT of time to fuck around, so I decided to format my laptop and reinstall everything I still use with the newest drivers and all that good shit.
It took me all of today to do the desktop, but I'm very pleased with the results. It actually "looks" just like it used to, while running much smoother now.

On the up side, I noticed I was downloading things much quicker than usual, so I ran to speedtest and holy shit.

This computer previously would give me upwards of 25-35 mbps download speed and all of 1mbps upload. I didn't change my internet at all, but just updating drivers and redoing all the software... this blew me away.

Oh yeah, I reinstalled Win 10 Pro, because fuck 11. Let's see what kinda ME/Vista bullshit they pull out next.

1708341907097.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
I just re-installed Win 11 because it was time for that Fresh Install feeling.
I was going to install Win 10, but I keep hearing they're just adding Win 11 "Features" in the updates to basically force people to upgrade. No idea how true it is, but I know Win 10 is approaching it's End-of-Life cycke and Win 12 should be just around the corner, anyhow.

Also:

Attachments

• Internet_Speed_2024-02-19.png
    Internet_Speed_2024-02-19.png
    67.3 KB · Views: 6

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
...Win 10 is approaching it's End-of-Life cycke and Win 12 should be just around the corner, anyhow.
Microsoft announced that the next Windows isn't coming this year, which is when we were expecting it to drop. But they also said the "next" windows isn't going to be 12. That's why I made the ME/Vista comment in my last post.

In reality, I've disliked Win 11 ever since it first came out. It was very blocky with bold colors. I remember seeing bright orange everywhere in the early showings of it. Honestly, Windows 7 was the best, especially with the Aero feature, but that's no good anymore. I still have my Windows 7 install disc in the cabinet next to me.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I'm in the middle of building my new PC. I have 10 Lian Li fans connected to 1 controller. I'm currently waiting for a cable to arrive to finish so I've only just put the PC together and I did update the BIOS.
When I apply power to the PC, 4 of the 10 fans light up , 6 do not. The 6 that do not are grouped together in sets of 3 if that matters. How concerned should I be now? I can update firmware on the controller but the engrish directions looks like the OS has to be installed.

Edit: nvm some dumbass (yours truly) plugged the connector in backwards. I wondered why they were so damn hard to connect. Lol

Last edited:
  • 1Worf

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm in the middle of building my new PC. I have 10 Lian Li fans connected to 1 controller. I'm currently waiting for a cable to arrive to finish so I've only just put the PC together and I did update the BIOS.
When I apply power to the PC, 4 of the 10 fans light up , 6 do not. The 6 that do not are grouped together in sets of 3 if that matters. How concerned should I be now? I can update firmware on the controller but the engrish directions looks like the OS has to be installed.

Edit: nvm some dumbass (yours truly) plugged the connector in backwards. I wondered why they were so damn hard to connect. Lol
You beat me to it, cause I did the exact same fucking thing. I spent like a week trouble shooting firmware, drivers, software, thinking there was no way all three fans in that section could be defunct. Then, as I was taking them apart to send back.. I saw what I had done. :trump:

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
You beat me to it, cause I did the exact same fucking thing. I spent like a week trouble shooting firmware, drivers, software, thinking there was no way all three fans in that section could be defunct. Then, as I was taking them apart to send back.. I saw what I had done. :trump:
I was cleaning up my room as it looked like a bomb hit. While cleaning up all the fan boxes I RTFM and went 'Doh'! Mist Mist the Directions are in terrible engrish.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
guy I been building pcs since they were made of raw sheet metal and the instructions were written on fortune cookies straight from taiwan
I'll just have to live with not being as manly as you dude.

• 1Worf
  • 1Ice Burn
Reactions: 1 users