Devs

spronk

FPS noob
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Devs

Genre: Drama, Sci-Fi & Fantasy

Creator: Alex Garland

Cast: Sonoya Mizuno, Nick Offerman, Jin Ha, Zach Grenier, Stephen Henderson, Cailee Spaeny, Alison Pill, Karl Glusman

Overview: Young computer engineer Lily Chan investigates the secretive development division of her employer, a cutting-edge tech company based in San Francisco, which she believes is behind the murder of her boyfriend.

spronk

FPS noob

Devs is centered around Lily (Sonoya Mizuno), a computer engineer investigating a quantum computing company called Amaya, run by Forest (Nick Offerman). She believes this company is responsible for the disappearance of her boyfriend.

IndieWire said:
Alex Garland has been working on “Devs” for more than two years, and there are still months of work ahead before the show’s spring 2020 release. Knowing the commitment required for his mysterious FX limited series, the Oscar-nominated scribe had very good, artistic reasons in mind before signing up.

“I was really interested to know what it would be like to have closer to eight hours to tell a story rather than two,” Garland said during the New York Comic-Con panel for “Devs.” “The scale and scope were very attractive.”

But he was also frustrated with the filmmaking process — specifically, the distribution complications facing all of his films so far.

“On a more human, personal level, my filmmaking career [has been]: I’ve made something, I’ve given it to a distributor, and they say, ‘We don’t want to distribute this,’” he said, adding that as soon as he turns in his work, it feels “like I’ve already disappointed someone.”

Alex Garland has made Ex-Machina and Annihilation, two really interesting sci fi movies I think a lot of people like. Its great he is doing a TV show now, he created the show and I believe wrote all the episodes.

Nick Offerman - Parks and Recreation - stars as a super awesome bonus.

bEPjAGO.jpg

Scheduled as an 8 episode limited series on FX for Spring 2020.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Annihilation didn't turn me off enough, to not check out anything Garland does (Ex Machina was that good).

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fippy Darkpaw

Molten Core Raider
He also wrote (and according to Karl Ubran, Directed) Dredd. I thought Annihilation was neat, but it didn't quite hit the mark for me. Still excited for this.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
first two episodes are up on hulu and usual 🏴‍☠️ sites

reviews seem to be mixed

its 8 episode, limited series so dunno if that means a 1 shot or not. Its from the guy who did Ex Machina and Annihilation

• 1Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Watched Ep 1 and halfway through Ep 2. Not bad, not great, at this point I am still intrigued. Would be better if the female lead wasn't a worse actress than Emilia Clarke.

• 1Worf

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Garland has yet to let me down. I enjoyed the first ep.

Have you guys ever seen the movie Pi? I thought of that movie when they showed them predicting the movements of that lifeform.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
First two episodes were good but it feels like this show has a high probability to shit the bed.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Four eps in and I'm still enjoying it.

Love the scenes in the Devs building. The music is great too.

fat12

Trakanon Raider
Four eps in and I'm still enjoying it.

Love the scenes in the Devs building. The music is great too.
I feel like the music is way too overbearing on this show. Yesterday's episode was hard to slog through as well. I'm trying to like it, but it's getting a little bit harder.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I feel like the music is way too overbearing on this show. Yesterday's episode was hard to slog through as well. I'm trying to like it, but it's getting a little bit harder.

I think the score does a pretty good job at strengthening the show's eerie, ethereal, disturbing atmosphere. On the other hand, it's a miniseries so when "nothing really happens" during a whole episode, it's kind of a strain. I like it a lot but I understand the critics over the show's pace.

fat12

Trakanon Raider
Damn, I liked Annihilation, I liked Ex Machina, but I feel like giving up with this one. I don't know if it's the acting, or what, but some of the scenes in this show make me want to cringe.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Going to stick this one out, I want to see how bad they butcher the ending.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I like this series but really dislike the main actress.

She's only a good actor if she doesn't have to talk

• 1Solidarity

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Man I thought this was finished and made the mistake of watching it all then running out. Crap.

Oh well, it isn’t bad, enjoying it quite a bit.

TV show information provided by The Movie Database